• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stick or auto for a stroker ?

BajaMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Yup I'm a newbie ....:read: And proud of It !!!
OK so I'm in the process of turning my stock Renix 4.0 into a stroker for my 4x4 Comanche.

That's no problem.

So what's the OEM Q? (Man these newbies!!!!)

We can agree that neither OEM BA/10 nor the D35 w/3.07 will suffice . Currently running 31's .... Yup 4.5" lift. ( Ok get to the point)

I sure appreciate some input concerning any experience W/either OEM AX-15 OR Auto in stroker engines .

And Gears? Should I just go and get me a couple of D44's from a 2.5XJ ?

Sorry About the long post ..:confused1
More words than meaning . I'm sure I left pertinent details out but let know.

Next time I'll do better.
Thanks.

BMJ

Last edited:
um im unsure about doing a stroker since ive never done one. but i do know that xjs dont have front and rear d44s, there is a d44 on 87 model with a towing package and those are hard to find. if i were you i would try to get a hp d30 front and a chrysler 8.25 out of a 97-99 for the strongest axle combo if you can find a four cylinder, im not even sure if they had one available. the front and rear axles of those years are the strongest the front has the larger 297 u joint, and the rear is a 29 spline instead of the 27 spline on older models. theres the info for the axle hopefully someone else can fill in the rest. and please try to search that way you wont get flamed

95meangreen said:
um im unsure about doing a stroker since ive never done one. but i do know that xjs dont have front and rear d44s, there is a d44 on 87 model with a towing package and those are hard to find. if i were you i would try to get a hp d30 front and a chrysler 8.25 out of a 97-99 for the strongest axle combo if you can find a four cylinder, im not even sure if they had one available. the front and rear axles of those years are the strongest the front has the larger 297 u joint, and the rear is a 29 spline instead of the 27 spline on older models. theres the info for the axle hopefully someone else can fill in the rest. and please try to search that way you wont get flamed

thanks for the input 95, U are right on the money no 44's sets on xj's my bad...:rattle:

I'll dive more deep into the faq's tomorrow .
If anyone knows threads relating to this . I'd Appreciate it.
:peace:
BMJ

The AX-15 should hold up to a stroker, also a NV 3550. As far as rear ends, you might look at Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. Should hold up. The Rubicon has a D44 up front. What I understand its stronger than a D30, but not as strong as a regular D44. Look here for some stroker info:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

I ran an AX-15 with my 4.7L stroker and liked driving it. It was a blast, but on the trail, I had a nasty habit of twisting off axles. I changed over to an auto and no more busted axles.

old_man said:
I ran an AX-15 with my 4.7L stroker and liked driving it. It was a blast, but on the trail, I had a nasty habit of twisting off axles. I changed over to an auto and no more busted axles.
:cheers: Cool . Thank U ! ..so actually u tried a stick and decided that an Auto would actually manage the torque better along the driveline... that's interesting .

What diffs are u running? tires.?

D44's front and rear with 35" BFG AT KO's

old_man said:
D44's front and rear with 35" BFG AT KO's

running 4.56?
Another q' :doh: ( Man these newbies just don't stop ) How many miles have u had ur 4.7 and how is it doing?

newrig.jpg

Running 4.56's with a Detroit in the rear and a quicklock in the front.. I've got about 20k on it. While totally street worthy, it has been fairly much relegated to being a trailer queen. My wife got freaked out when I drove home from Moab with the top crushed down, so now I have a trailer.:laugh:

i've seen coments about the ax 15, but not the aw4 so far. that's a good auto transmission, pretty bullet proof. shouldn't have any problems behind a stroker what-so-ever

old_man said:
newrig.jpg

Running 4.56's with a Detroit in the rear and a quicklock in the front.. I've got about 20k on it. While totally street worthy, it has been fairly much relegated to being a trailer queen. My wife got freaked out when I drove home from Moab with the top crushed down, so now I have a trailer.:laugh:

:firedevil I bet u did that on purpose u devil u !!!! LOL

Hmmm maybe I'll try that one of these days...........

Nice set up .!!! congrats!!!

So .. If ur running the Auto now.. have u tried that manual 1-2 setup on it?
do u know if it's worth the wire and the time? :wierd:

Last edited:
dfreeman616 said:
i've seen coments about the ax 15, but not the aw4 so far. that's a good auto transmission, pretty bullet proof. shouldn't have any problems behind a stroker what-so-ever

We'll from reading so far :rtm:( not from experience ........Yet. ) It seems that's the way to go .. So I won't bother asking for the related stuff for a swap between a manual and an Auto .
I'll do my home work on that and bother only if I get stuck .In the process ..( Gentelman place Ur bets!! ) (-HHmm newbie .. I bet he comes back to ask about it in a day...no no In a couple of Minutes !!! :cheers: HAHAH) :gag: I'll try not to ..promise ;0)

BajaMJ said:
:firedevil I bet u did that on purpose u devil u !!!! LOL

Hmmm maybe I'll try that one of these days...........

Nice set up .!!! congrats!!!

So .. If ur running the Auto now.. have u tried that manual 1-2 setup on it?
do u know if it's worth the wire and the time? :wierd:

I have been meaning to install the mod. It's funny, some trannys have issues and some do not. My previous automatic would always stay in 1st gear on a steep downhill. My most recent will shift up to 2nd, then immediately back down to 1st. In the meantime, your picking the steering wheel out of your teeth.

Browsed thru that manual shifter link and sounds pretty decent indeed .:D . About what Old Man mentions about some AW's shifting in & out and some don't . ...... Guess that would be a good Q' for them Huh?

So I guess it's time to start doin' and stop chatting so . very last Q. for OldMan OR anyone W/ a stroker ... Throw some cam input . I got one figured BUT Experience is Greatly appreciated.

BMJ.:thumbup:

For light or little offing a slush box is a good way to go. You can get away with much less gearing on the trail and still pull a few MPG out of her on the road.

For lots of heavy offing with BIG tires and with a big six. (IMO) It's about even. You will need big gear for big tires or a t-case will a very low 4LO. No mater what trany you have.
The auto may need some work to hold up under the strain of this kind of offing and that stuff ant cheap.
Under this kind of stress the AX15 or the NV3550 will not last long. The NV4500 is the way to go. It IS NOT CHEAP but it will cost less then replacing a AX15 2 or 3 time anyway. It has a supper deep 1st gear and a overdrive
I use one for towing (NV4500) with 285 tires and now 3.55 gears. I can pull a train from a dead stop on a good grade. Love that first:)

Last edited:
badron said:
For light or little offing a slush box is a good way to go. You can get away with much less gearing on the trail and still pull a few MPG out of her on the road.

For lots of heavy offing with BIG tires and with a big six. (IMO) It's about even. You will need big gear for big tires or a t-case will a very low 4LO. No mater what trany you have.
The auto may need some work to hold up under the strain of this kind of offing and that stuff ant cheap.
Under this kind of stress the AX15 or the NV3550 will not last long. The NV4500 is the way to go. It IS NOT CHEAP but it will cost less then replacing a AX15 2 or 3 time anyway. It has a supper deep 1st gear and a overdrive
I use one for towing (NV4500) with 285 tires and now 3.55 gears. I can pull a train from a dead stop on a good grade. Love that first:)

:smoker: sounds right.. i'm actually going from mill to diff upgrate all at once. and even if the idea of the NV 4500 is tempting .: I 'll be going with the AW4 .

Yup no they are not cheap (4500) So I got to make the most out of my budget .
Between stoker engine , gears and tranny.

I guess I;ll have to wait a bit to get such 4500 .:bawl:

:NAXJA: BMJ

Back