• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a stroker

Beautiful
Not yet. Now its just an intake manifold with a very large hole in it. When there is a plate welded to it with some holes, then perhaps.

I've did a few revisions on the inlet plate for more hood clearance. It hit just a bit in the back, but this I can fix easily.

Blue: represents the rear of the MP90
Green: outline of the throttle body spacer and its bolt holes (necessary for IAC mounting ear)
Black: outline of the inlet plate.
Red, yellow: inlet mounting plate bolts and their countersinks.

#5:
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I'm leaning toward #7 because its a good distance away from the top center mounting hole countersink and it allows more area to the left for mounting vacuum taps. The only problem is how much it comes into the MP90 body. However I could oval out the side that faces the inlet (Left and right in pic) and blend the TB opening up to the MP90 body. I could also blend into the MP90 body.

This is what I have envisioned for the side that faces the MP90, but I don't show the blending of the TB hole to the MP90. Basically shape the 70mm circle into an oval.
7b.jpg

Perhaps a mock up would better show what I am talking about.

Area behind TB opening:
DSC_4294.JPG

Proposed blending between the TB opening and MP90. That would be the intake plate blended to match the back of the MP90. Th side that faces the MP90 would be ovaled, see image in previous post for the other side:
DSC_4296.JPG

A few current mockups on manifold. The TPS will just clear the manifold plate and a TJ IAC (90* plug) will fit.
DSC_4301.JPG

DSC_4306.JPG

I would like to suggest that the compressor's intake manifold be built "deeper" so as to be able to provide a better transition between the round TB "intake" opening and the oval "discharge" side of the manifold.

Plus, the extra depth of the part would, in my opinion, provide better vacuum sources.

The single largest error I have witnessed in a "home made" supercharger system was not allowing for sufficient vacuum taps. It is not only the HVAC that requires the good partial pressure signal...

This is looking simply gorgeous. Can't hardly wait to see it running.

This project along with the one SolarBell is doing represent, to my way of thinking, the proper methodology to be used in designing/fabricating a system. Take the time at the front of the project so as to avoid rework at the back of the project.

To be transparent, the biggest vacuum errors I saw were created by Rick Rimmer. He insisted on treating partial pressure the same way you would treat positive pressure. Which is to say that he had a single tap to the compressor's intake and attempted to run multiple lines from the one tap.

It failed. All three times I watched him do it...

Partial pressure is not positive pressure. Tons of supporting fluid dynamic data on the subject.

So, I recommend dedicated tap locations for each function required.

I actually had to add in an additional opening in the Sprintex compressor intake manifold in order to satisfy all of the connections required by my '98...

I would like to suggest that the compressor's intake manifold be built "deeper" so as to be able to provide a better transition between the round TB "intake" opening and the oval "discharge" side of the manifold.
That would be ideal but room is tight back there

DSC_1516.jpg

DSC_1540.jpg

Thats without any kind of intake tube as well.

Something like the 90* adapter on the Jaguar may work, but much shorter as that one incorporates a bypass valve as well. And it would have to drop down significantly.

P1250496.jpg

Although, something like this might just fit:
inlet adapter.jpg

The single largest error I have witnessed in a "home made" supercharger system was not allowing for sufficient vacuum taps. It is not only the HVAC that requires the good partial pressure signal...
I could see that being an issue if someone tried to tie all the vacuum taps into one. Especially if the tap didn't have enough area to support all their needs.

I may have a solution for the tight space needed for the intake tubing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261370370821?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
$_3.JPG

Nearly a perfect fit for this:
DSC_1427b.jpg

Also, In my search I found this: http://shop.mpsuperchargers.com/Mag...-TJ-85mm-Throttle-Body-Upgrade-MPTJTB85mm.htm 85mm throttle body for cheap... looks like ass, but might work. I'll have to cinder that.

Have you seen these?
Haven't used them myself but may soon on another project. Price seems right.

Have you seen these?
Haven't used them myself but may soon on another project. Price seems right.

Yes, using one of those is part of the plan. From the tb to a short piece of tube to the jaguar part then to an adapter of some sort (end of that tube is oval) to the air box.

A standard throttle body spacer would be a good place to put taps as well.. I think I might have one laying around someplace too.

Actually... I did this for a friend so he could add another vacuum tap. Works great.

You just have to love an 85mm TB though, don't you?

As I have stated, more than once, this is an extremely well thought out piece of kit. Every decision that has been made, to date, has been made correctly. It is a joy for someone my age to see the "kids" coming up properly...

So many folk will just toss in anything and call it "good". Shade tree mechanics at best.

Actually... I did this for a friend so he could add another vacuum tap. Works great.
That might be the route I will go.. or just make a taller adapter as I prefer my design better, flows with the adapter plate better. But the tb spacer is 1" might be an issue cutting that on the router.
You just have to love an 85mm TB though, don't you?
That is really large and i'm not sure a) if its necessary, and B) how it seals. The adapter plate shown below has a 70mm hole. 85mm is 15mm larger, that .59" larger.

That Magnuson adapter show earlier might be out of the question. Magnuson responded to me with a price of $289+ shipping. Not happening at that price.
So many folk will just toss in anything and call it "good". Shade tree mechanics at best.
If I was doing that I would already have a SC on and have a huge hole in my hood. However, I have a certain way of doing things.

That Magnuson adapter show earlier might be out of the question. Magnuson responded to me with a price of $289+ shipping. Not happening at that price.
$290 is not necessarily a terrible price, but it's definitely an expense you could do without. It's not like you can't make a decent adapter yourself or find another solution.

If I was doing that I would already have a SC on and have a huge hole in my hood. However, I have a certain way of doing things.
You'd have allot more friends and dedicated followers on cherokee forum (and some here) if you hacked the heck out of your Jeep though. Plus don't forget about the bragging rights having your sh** out there before anyone else.

or find another solution.
Since they don't make throttle body spacers in 70mm, I'll need ot make my own part.. might even be a better solution. Hopefully under $100.

Re: Re: I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a stroker

You'd have allot more friends and dedicated followers on cherokee forum (and some here) if you hacked the heck out of your Jeep though. Plus don't forget about the bragging rights having your sh** out there before anyone else.

Seriously? I really hope you are being sarcastic.

Love your work. What material did you do the plates from. Looks like some kind of aluminum phenolic sandwich. I have a need for something similar.

Back