• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've got a 4.7 stroker....... which application would it be best suited for?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I have two projects going, both need an engine. Just picked up a Renix 4.7 stroker with 70k miles on it.

Project #1 - '88 2wd short bed MJ being built for road track and cone course racing. Will be a 5 speed AX15 and likely 4:10's.

Project #2 - '88 4x4 long bed Metric Ton MJ. This will be an AW4 auto with a Sterling 10.25 dually rear axle and 4:10's. Possibly to be used to pull the race truck on a light 16' tandem axle trailer.

Seems to me a fresh stock 4.0 should be plenty for the race truck.

Im considering a V8 swap for the dually...... The expense is what's steering me away from that route.....and that folks have told me the stroker has as much if not a bit more torque than a stock 5.7 Chevy or 5.2 Magnum swap.

I'd love to hear some input!

A bad day at the track could take out the stroker in an uncontrolled manner. Then it's gone.

I'd put it in the tow Jeep.

Put it in the tow rig. The 4.7 will make a more apparent difference while towing and if you are going to race it, you need to work on the oiling system to make sure it lasts. Look up Petty Cash's cherokee and their effort... they did a good job documenting what it takes to keep a 4.0 alive on a road course.

Put it in the tow rig and then buy our stroker we just took out, and put it in your race rig. ;)

You forgot to list the most important spec on the stroker.....what cam?

That tells where the power band is. It can be everywhere from a stump puller on the low end, to an all out road machine.

Jon Kaczmarski (Kaczman) built the stroker.

Specs:

Renix block and head. Head was ported and polished.
12 counterweight crank
Comp Cam ( p/n was either 68-231-4 or 68-232-4)
Custom dished pistons for 9.4:1 CR
Mopar Performance valve springs, retainers and locks
#24/ hr injectors
Mopar Performance plug wires
Balanced and blue printed
235 HP and 250 ft/lbs torque

Back