• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Daughters XJ build/Getting Started

It is really cool that your daughter is so into it. Congrats on that! Most girls her age, just want a new 6 banger mustang or some crap like that. Also that rear bumper looks great.... I am jealous of it.

No other mounts at this time. I just installed it to get it out of the shop for now.
I'm going to add a mount to the frame using the same holes the tow bar was connected to (both sides, and the center), then I'm going to run a brace/mount from the sides to the frame. They will be bolted through and plated on the inside. It's kind of over kill though. I'll never tow anything with it, but I don't want to bend things up when being pulled on(God forbid I get I get stuck : )

wow... Like everyone else it's really great to see a young girl who is interested in working on her own vehicle, learning a new trade, and is understanding the value of hard work.

On top of that, it's great to see a parent who is willing and able to be involved in an activity that engages his or her child through a common interest.

My father traveled the world working as an executive for a top global advertising agency. I probably only saw him 10 days out of each month when I was younger. Looking back I don't think I could put a dollar amount on what I would give up to be able to spend time with my father working on my jeep like you and your daughter are.

Cheers to you..

Cool build! My daughter's 16 and in auto shop. She wants a cherokee for her first vehicle, too. Hopefully she will be just as interested in taking care of it and building it up!
She's slackin though! Hasn't learned how to weld yet!
I love spending time with her, we have a great relationship and I think that helps her when it comes to boys. She doesn't take crap off of anyone!

Cool build! My daughter's 16 and in auto shop. She wants a cherokee for her first vehicle, too. Hopefully she will be just as interested in taking care of it and building it up!
She's slackin though! Hasn't learned how to weld yet!
I love spending time with her, we have a great relationship and I think that helps her when it comes to boys. She doesn't take crap off of anyone!

I have to admit it's fun. I have been slacking on taking pictures and giving credit though. My long time girl friend not only helps me when the Daughter isn't, but she puts up with me hiding out in the shop non stop. She a pretty d*** good welder her self!!

I have to say I'm not very nice to any guy that wants to date my daughter. My daughters boyfriend is a good kid, but I rarely give him the time of day!. He has recently started to help as well. He has spent his fair share of time grinding, and helping me out. I'm learning to like the kid very much, but don't let that get out!!!

I have to include her boyfriend or I believe she wouldn't help as much. Girls that age are insane LOL!!!!! I do love her insane or not.

I hope for you that you and your daughter build a rig together. At 15 to 17 it's hard to find things in common with them. This is one way to level the playing field.

Good Luck and have fun!!!

Great project you have going and props to you and your daughter getting to spend time with each other and finding a common interest.

Also thats a great looking bumper and those rock rails are massive!

Great project you have going and props to you and your daughter getting to spend time with each other and finding a common interest.

Also thats a great looking bumper and those rock rails are massive!

Thanks!!!
As for the rock rails. They are 2x2 1/4 tube. 61" long and 7" wide. They should take what ever abuse we dish out.
I plan on having a roof rack to hold the spare, jack, and supplies, so they will be nice to stand on!!

Wow nice work! Those are some really nicely-cut fenders! Glad to see another girl into Jeeps!

I have to say I'm not very nice to any guy that wants to date my daughter. My daughters boyfriend is a good kid, but I rarely give him the time of day!.

Sounds like she needs a Cherokee-owning-rig-building-guy then? :patriot:

Good work though! That bumper is gigantic! What ya think it weighs? Sliders are pretty beef too. I know you already made the sliders, but if you have the time and since you already have the shop, you might look into rocker replacements as sliders. Improve your ground clearance and stiffen the body up a bit.

~Scott

I dunno. If I had a daughter I sure as hell wouldn't let her near you lot either :D She's not even close to my age range, so no creepiness from me.

Great buildup, hope it works out well.

This weekend I was on my own. I worked through sunday fabing up the second slide and prepping the want to be frame. I finally got them mounted Sunday night. They turned out pretty good. They sure are stout and should take ANY abuse that may be dished out. They are mounted to the pinch weld with 5 bolts. They have two arms that go directly to the frame. A piece of 3x3 angle iron on each cradles the frame. I have to 1/2 inch bolts going through the frame to a 1/4 inch plate on the inside.
As for ground clearance; they are no lower than the frame

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/wade_hack/000_0003_0001.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/wade_hack/000_0002_0001.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/wade_hack/000_0006-1.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/wade_hack/000_0009-2.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/wade_hack/000_0005-2.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/wade_hack/000_0007-1.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/wade_hack/000_0008-2.jpg

Sounds like she needs a Cherokee-owning-rig-building-guy then? :patriot:

Good work though! That bumper is gigantic! What ya think it weighs? Sliders are pretty beef too. I know you already made the sliders, but if you have the time and since you already have the shop, you might look into rocker replacements as sliders. Improve your ground clearance and stiffen the body up a bit.

~Scott

Scott, you are a funny guy lol.
The slides are no lower than the frame, so ground clearance is ok. I like the protection they offer both on and off the road. They will serve as a stand to get the spare and jack off the roof after I build a new roof rack.
The rear bumper is big! I didn't weigh it though. If I had to guess I'd say it's around 60 to 70 lbs. The slides are pretty heavy as well. It's a good thing I'm going to run 4.88's and hop up the engine a bit lol.
Thanks for the info on the rocker replacements. I didn't even think about that. I'm going to look in to it. Where is a good place to start???

The slides are no lower than the frame, so ground clearance is ok. I like the protection they offer both on and off the road. They will serve as a stand to get the spare and jack off the roof after I build a new roof rack.
The rear bumper is big! I didn't weigh it though. If I had to guess I'd say it's around 60 to 70 lbs. The slides are pretty heavy as well. It's a good thing I'm going to run 4.88's and hop up the engine a bit lol.
Thanks for the info on the rocker replacements. I didn't even think about that. I'm going to look in to it. Where is a good place to start???

I have been looking for a 4.10 front axle... wish I was in PNW and I'd swap you axles since you are building anyway... a new stock carrier for you to build my front axle is way cheaper than a new r&p etc...

Oh well.

Really nice work, I work on mine with my 16 year old son. He loves it and I love spending the time with him.

I have been looking for a 4.10 front axle... wish I was in PNW and I'd swap you axles since you are building anyway... a new stock carrier for you to build my front axle is way cheaper than a new r&p etc...

Oh well.

Really nice work, I work on mine with my 16 year old son. He loves it and I love spending the time with him.

I know several people with xj's. I know of an 85 in Tri-Cities Washington that's a coplete rig with stock 4.10 carriers all for 300 cash. it's a two door, and has a shifting problem. Probably has a bad clutch slave.
I might also know where a front axle may be. I'd need to check on the gears though.
That's cool about your son. I bet he has some fun!!

Wow man that thing has come along way since the last time i saw it, looking awesome!

that rear bumper is very impressive, looks alote better then those chrome stockers lol btw im finaly getting those bumpers on this weekend lol, thanks again.......back on topic wht are you going to do for a front bumper?

Wow man that thing has come along way since the last time i saw it, looking awesome!

that rear bumper is very impressive, looks alote better then those chrome stockers lol btw im finaly getting those bumpers on this weekend lol, thanks again.......back on topic wht are you going to do for a front bumper?

first thing I'll do is make both inner and outer 1/4 inch thick frame supports and incorperate them into the bumber
I'm building a winch bumper. It will extend 10" from the grill. It will be a full 6" tall the width of the frame. then bend back and angle up to 2" at the marker lights. Then it will turn the corner and go to the end of the fender cut. Very close to what the back does. It will have a receiver and two d-rings as well.
Thanks for saying hello, and Stay in touch. You'll have to send some pics of your xj project as well.
Hope those bumpers work well for you.
Wade

yea i guess i prolly need to post more pics of my rig....aint nothin fancy hoping to get stuff done on it soon......anyway back on topic....on that particular rear bumper how much did you spend on matieral?

Back