• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My First XJ Build

Re: Re: My First XJ Build

I ran my Aux-transmission cooler in line with the factory radiator cooler. This way it warms the fluid up quicker in the winter yet it passes through the aux cooler to cool it down on it's way back to the transmission. I also ran the inlet on the bottom of the cooler so the fluid has to work its way up and out, I think this gives the fluid a bit more time to cool VS inlet top, outlet bottom.

The only thing is I don't want what happened to ever happen again haha. Which is way I kinda wanna stay away from using the stock cooler in the radiator. It doesn't ever get cold enough where I live for me to worry about that

i dont use the stock cooler.

What kind of Aux cooler do you have? I have one of those cheap 4-5 row aluminum ones. If I had a B&M cooler I would probably isolate the trans cooler from the radiator cooler. I think you will be fine either way. Are you going to plumb in a temp gauge also?

What kind of Aux cooler do you have? I have one of those cheap 4-5 row aluminum ones. If I had a B&M cooler I would probably isolate the trans cooler from the radiator cooler. I think you will be fine either way. Are you going to plumb in a temp gauge also?

I honestly don't know what brand it is. It's an extra one that my dad gave me. Yes definitely putting a temp gague

Which gauge set up is every one using??

I'll be using an elec. Gauge installed in my dirtbound ash tray gauge/switch panel and an aux cooler. I will also do like a few have and run a bypass with valves to flush the system. Also bypass the stock cooler.

Well she's drive able again. Still not shifting right but drive able at least.

My problem now is it shifts wayyyyyyyy to early. When I'm in drive it pulls off fine then when it goes to shift (at 15 mph every time without fail) it bogs wayy down like its skipping a gear and feels like it going to stall. When I manually shift it in 1st, again it pull off fine but when its goes to shift (also at 15 mph) it bogs down but not as much. Which leads me to believe it shifting too early rather than skipping a gear since there are only 2 gears in the 1/2 position. If it were skipping gears, when I manually shift it would just stay in 1st gear.

Been doing some research, people say possibly the tps failed, I talked to a co worker and he thinks the kick down isn't adjusted properly.

At this point I'm just going to keep researching

Swap the TPS. its cheap and would be a good spare to have anyway. My black jeep was doing all kinds of weird shiftiing/idling before it finally wouldnt shift out of first at all. 35$ for the Borg Warner at Orielly's and walla, no more idle issues and it shifts perfectly. Good Luck.

terrance is right, TPS. also check the throttle valve cable for slack.

Swap the TPS. its cheap and would be a good spare to have anyway. My black jeep was doing all kinds of weird shiftiing/idling before it finally wouldnt shift out of first at all. 35$ for the Borg Warner at Orielly's and walla, no more idle issues and it shifts perfectly. Good Luck.

terrance is right, TPS. also check the throttle valve cable for slack.
Okay I'll replace the tps on Friday cuz that's when I get paid. And I already adjusted the kick down cable

clean all connections going to tranny real good as well, but im guessing TPS from the symptoms.

only renix are adjustable.

Would bad solenoids cause early shifting?

If it was the tps wouldnt it throw a code? Mine started shifting wacky on the freeway and threw the tps code.

Sup with this $30 tps talk? Got mine from the dealer for $110 and 90 for an hour minium install :( didnt really feel like wondering if it was good quaility though... Oh and I laughed at the guy and installed it in the parking lot in 3 mins :)

If it was the tps wouldnt it throw a code? Mine started shifting wacky on the freeway and threw the tps code.

Sup with this $30 tps talk? Got mine from the dealer for $110 and 90 for an hour minium install :( didnt really feel like wondering if it was good quaility though... Oh and I laughed at the guy and installed it in the parking lot in 3 mins :)

Sorry to say but you got screwed buddy

90$ for a dealer TPS is right. the autozone cheapos might go out every year, just replace it within warranty and its free again. I use the better napa ones , or whatever is cheap on rockatuo.

90$ for a dealer TPS is right. the autozone cheapos might go out every year, just replace it within warranty and its free again. I use the better napa ones , or whatever is cheap on rockatuo.

I typically use Napa/Carquest. Mostly CQ now since I work there.

Back