• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My First XJ Build

well i guess i should update a bit. ill try to keep it short.

stock trans cooler failed causing contamination in transmission which caused for a new transmission. found one through jeremy, picked it up, installed it, and it did not shift right.
after i while i found out it was from a 98+ which operate on a 4 pulse drive rotor instead of the 1 pulse drive rotor that mine needs, so the tcu thought i was going 4 times faster than i actually was so it shifted wayyyy too early.

i drove it like that for a while and it was perfect. then i decided to take a trip to rockfront ranch to do some light wheeling for the day (my b day). got there and got about one mile in and my buddys sitting in the back yelled to stop because something was smoking really bad. so i did, i looked underneath and trans fluid is pouring out right onto the the down pipe.

so the only logical answer was that the torque converter i put in still had water in it and mixed in.
there goes another transmission.

while all this was happening i was having overheating problems. turns out the water pump was leaking so whatever water i would put in the radiator leaked out as soon as it sat.

the jeep is now in my garage in "project mode". it will be getting a new transmission, water pump and lower radiator hose.

at this time i will also be doing a few upgrades.
-build 3 link
-take out front axle and install locker and possibly some reinforcement???
-99+ intake swap/new, uncracked exhaust manifold
-eric's version of a cowl intake
-new injectors
-mount and wire rock lights
-rocker replacement
-new trans cooler since i dont really trust the one i have now

i'm sure there are other things i cant think of but when i do i will post up

i'm actually pretty stoked not to be driving this thing every day. now i can do all the things i've been wanting to do but couldn't because i had to drive it on a daily basis.

i'm currently driving my dads extra car but i'm in the market for a commuter.

last trip out to rock front

and in its new home

Are you done yet?! haha.

Re: Re: My First XJ Build

Gimme that mj :)

Over my dead body.
I'm looking forward to that project. Should take less time than chris' heep. Altho, if I do take a year I actually have a legitimate reason. Haha.

Small updates.
got the new water pump on...kinda haha
took off the intake and exhaust manifolds so I can put in the new ones.
Now I knee my exhaust manny was cracked but I didn't think it was this bad. That one tube at the collecter is cracked alllll the way around
vejehumu.jpg

5ymy8a8e.jpg

And not a jeep update but I got a new DD. Such I frieking fun car
2000 Audi A4 Quattro
ebese2ez.jpg

That's all for now

hey man if you bought it unless it came with the car idk.... where did you get that sticker with the jeep and the cross? btw awesome rig!

Thanks man! And I got it from trifectaoffroad.com

I hope the Audi is a manual and the maintenance has been done recently, or it will have more down time than your heep. Haha.

I hope the Audi is a manual and the maintenance has been done recently, or it will have more down time than your heep. Haha.

Yes to both haha

Back