• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My First XJ Build

That's funny I never thought about doing it that way

This is an "old school" way of flushing the trans. The machines essentially do the same thing, they just run inline of cooler line.

Re: Re: My First XJ Build

Well I got the old transmission out last Friday. This Friday or Sunday I'll be swapping the new one in. My original plan was to work on it every day after work but the new job has been super busy so I am BEAT after work.

My dad did donate an axillary transmission cooler so I'll be putting that in too. I just need to find the clips that hold the cooler lines into transmission or think of another way to run those lines, cuz one broke.

In the mean time, enjoy ;)
depuqe4u.jpg

Looking good, man. It's come a long ways since last year's SierraFest.

Less wrenching pics, more wheeling pics.

Thanks! You gunna go this year?

I know I know, it sucks but it needs to be done haha

Put me down for some too, Vanilla face.

Are you done yet?! Ha.

Going to the parentals house tomorrow to switch stuff that I need from the old trans to the new one. Then Sunday my room mate and I will be putting everything in. Let me know if you can swing by Sunday and help

I havent done it yet. Sorry. I will next time im on my laptop.
Sweet let me know when you do. Sooner the better

Why dont you boneheads come to my place and help put the new engine back in the g35?

Because my dad bugs me every day that I need to get my jeep out of his driveway haha

Diggin the build, Man!! Do you daily drive your XJ? Also,Is it on stock gearing with the 33s? I'm just looking to see if 33s are worth it for a dd with 3.55s

Thanks man. Yeah I do...or did haha. Yeah stock gearing unfortunately. Its not terrible, but not good either. The best mileage I have ever gotten is 18 mpgs, and it has enough power to merge on the freeway but that's about it. But then again, I didn't buy an xj to get great mileage and win races lol . When I do regear I'm going to 4.88's. Do you only DD or you wheel it too?

Well I'm building it to wheel, I'm at 3.5-4in lift with a Aussie in the rear. Only have 31in mall terrains at the moment haha. I don't mind getting crappy gas mileage as that's expected, I just wanted to confirm it would be able to handle freeway speeds lol. I should probably start a build thread here, I'm over at the CherokeeTalk forum most of the time

Well I'm building it to wheel, I'm at 3.5-4in lift with a Aussie in the rear. Only have 31in mall terrains at the moment haha. I don't mind getting crappy gas mileage as that's expected, I just wanted to confirm it would be able to handle freeway speeds lol. I should probably start a build thread here, I'm over at the CherokeeTalk forum most of the time

Nice man. That will be a solid set up. Yeah its definitely do able.

I havent done it yet. Sorry. I will next time im on my laptop.
Really? I'm just getting the fittings.

Why dont you boneheads come to my place and help put the new engine back in the g35?
I need to install a trans cooler and upgrading the lines would be nice.
And why don't you have yourself a nice glass of STFU! Ha.
You have some nice cold GOOD alcoholic beverages and some gas money? Cuz, I'm outta both at the moment.

Because my dad bugs me every day that I need to get my jeep out of his driveway haha
I should be able to help some more.

I personally hated driving with 3.55's and 31's But it is doable. I'm sure that my 200k+ tired Renix didn't help with that.

Well I got the new transmission completely in today. Just need to put the new starter on, bolt on the inspection plate, mount the aux cooler and figure out how i wanna run the new lines.

What are peoples opinions on running the aux cooler along with the factory one. Good idea or should I just ditch the factory one all together and use just the aux cooler.

Here is a pic of the Clayton cross member. I figured now was as good a time as any to bolt it up since I had everything off. Right know it just serves as a cross member. When it comes time to mount the long arms, the mounts will be welded on.

megy8usy.jpg

I ran my Aux-transmission cooler in line with the factory radiator cooler. This way it warms the fluid up quicker in the winter yet it passes through the aux cooler to cool it down on it's way back to the transmission. I also ran the inlet on the bottom of the cooler so the fluid has to work its way up and out, I think this gives the fluid a bit more time to cool VS inlet top, outlet bottom.

Back