• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Daughters XJ build/Getting Started

Nice job. That looks good and plenty stout.
As for me, I can build most anything, but I have't done any welding in quite sometime. I haven't built a rig since my divorce over 6 years ago, but thats another story.
I'm actually thinmk of doing a fender armor plate and tubing 3 1/2 ince flares like some guy did in the Fabrication section. They were sweet

I asked my Dad if we could cut the fenders off of the family Cherokee. He strictly forbade me... O well, thats why I have my own I guess...

Id recommend dropping that lift down. You can easily run 3.5" - 4.5" of lift on 33"s since you cut. Not only that but having a new driver in a high jeep could prove to be a bad decision.

Looking good bro. I also like the LP Frame... Gotta love the Ramones

X2! Ramones rock! Good to see you working with your daughter on it!

Id recommend dropping that lift down. You can easily run 3.5" - 4.5" of lift on 33"s since you cut. Not only that but having a new driver in a high jeep could prove to be a bad decision.

You are right.
The front springs are suppose to be 4". The rear only has a 2" block. I have the add a leaf but I won't put it in. I'll spring and shackle it.
I need to get rid of the 35's and get some 33's. Then I'll see how it all works. Then I will either leave it or lift it higher.

I think you need to move to WA and introduce me to your daughter...lol.
She's at least 16, right? :)

Seriously though that's awesome you got your daughter into Jeeps, AND working on them. I could only wish there were girls up here who did that.

~Scott

P.S. Don't worry, I'm not some pedo. I'm 18 hah. :thumbup:

Wow.:twak:

-Alex

You are right.
The front springs are suppose to be 4". The rear only has a 2" block. I have the add a leaf but I won't put it in. I'll spring and shackle it.
I need to get rid of the 35's and get some 33's. Then I'll see how it all works. Then I will either leave it or lift it higher.

Good idea though Id ditch the block, AAL, and lift shackle. They are going to cause problems down the road and make twice the work.
I would pickup a set of Dakota or s10 leafs and bastard pack it. $50 for that and its done right and itll match the front lift.

Is the block steel?

Right On, A chick that wrenches on her own Rig. Looks like a good start!

Good idea though Id ditch the block, AAL, and lift shackle. They are going to cause problems down the road and make twice the work.
PHP:
I would pickup a set of Dakota or s10 leafs and bastard pack it.  $50 for that and its done right and itll match the front lift.

Is the block steel?[/QUOTE

I was looking around and found this thread about using Dodge van main leafs 1979 +. 

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=926416&highlight=dodge+van+leaf 

I am thinking about trying this set up with a set of homemade shackles to match. 
$50 doesn't buy crap in Eastern Oregon and Washington. The junk yards want $100 dollars a set for used springs. By the time I buy the types of springs I need, the u-bolts, the center bolts and the friction pads I'll be in to them more than just buying a new pair of lift springs. At least we can build what we want this way.

I thought I'd update everyone.

This weekend we started cutting the rear lower panels so I can wrap the bumper around.
We also started the rear bumper. We are building it out of 3/16 2x6 steel. I'll taper it down on the ends and run either 4" or 2" along the sides of the rear panels.
I also started on the rock slides. We built them out of 3/16 2x2 tubing. I finished up the drivers side. I built it with the 35's on the jeep. I changed the tires out and installed a set of 33 BFG MT I then realized my slides looked to wide with the smaller tires. Now I have to cut them down and reinstall. All in all it was a good weekend.
I'll take a few snap shots and post them later

That bumper is Awesome! I like where this build is going!

I dont see any bumper mounts other than stock?

Back