• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front bumper build

The stinger bar is to help protect the front end from all those pesky deer and elk that plague our roads. As for the winch. I haven't added it yet. There is other work to be done that's more important.
The tubing is role cage material. I had it bent at a local fab shop. No harbor freight sh** in my shop! Yours???
There's no light tabs because I don't know where I want to mount them yet.

i agree with the anti-antler protection seems like those things are everywere on that side of the walla-walla river gets sketchy......

I'll remember; You have dibs if i build another.
As for the deer and elk, you are right. Just take a drive up Mill creek on your way to Black Snake.
I go up that way hunting all the time. You dodge deer all the
way up!! i've been planning on building a big bumper for my Dodge cummins truck just for that reason.

i agree with the anti-antler protection seems like those things are everywere on that side of the walla-walla river gets sketchy......

I'll remember; You have dibs if i build another.
As for the deer and elk, you are right. Just take a drive up Mill creek on your way to Black Snake.
I go up that way hunting all the time. You dodge deer all the
way up!! i've been planning on building a big bumper for my Dodge cummins truck just for that reason.

haha yea I went up that way 2 year's with my brother its was like this....... :eek: !!!!!

Counting the frame reinforcement plates and the bumper I used 3- 1/4 inch thick 18"x48" plates, and an additional 10"x12" chunk. There were some cut off peices I couldn't use though. There are also 12 - 3 1/2x1/2 grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers. 8 - 1 1/2x1/2 grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers, and 5 feet of role cage tubing. Lets not forget the mile of welding wire.

Roughly how much plate steel did you use?
How thick was it?
I like it with or without the stinger.
Personally I think the stinger sets it off.
Good Job

The stinger bar is to help protect the front end from all those pesky deer and elk that plague our roads.

The tubing is role cage material. I had it bent at a local fab shop.

a deer or elk would bend/rip that off at a good speed. Roll cage material is pretty vague, HREW or DOM? And that does look like a HF bender, the tubing is kinked at the bends.

i like it though, very similar to the one i built, except one bend in the stinger and regular d-rings.

I believe the tubing was 1 3/4 x 3/16. I wasn't very happy about the kink in the pipe, but it is what it is. I couldn't find anyone else to bend one.
I agree. If I were to hit a deer the tube would probably bend or break. It should deflect the animal downward and save my front end, and in doing so would do what I designed it to do.

a deer or elk would bend/rip that off at a good speed. Roll cage material is pretty vague, HREW or DOM? And that does look like a HF bender, the tubing is kinked at the bends.

i like it though, very similar to the one i built, except one bend in the stinger and regular d-rings.

can anyone explain what would kink 3/16'' wall? i kink 1/8'' hrew with my jd2, but .120 DOM is FLAWLESS.... maybe a weird die?

you could brace the sides, heres 2 ways ive braced my light bar/upper bumper.
ive also considered a box gusset on the insides,where the hoop meets the bumper, but my tow hooks ended up in the way.
theres no deer/elk where i live, only lots and lots of shopping carts!

i'd hate to see what would happen if your stinger broke off on impact, it could possibly fly upwards into the windshield (can laminate glass hold up to a 1 3/4" piercing? i dont want to find out.

Last edited:
Love the clean fab work, as usual - I'm just now getting good enough with welding and my cutoff wheels to actually make stuff that doesn't look like a meth head patched it together :gee:

If there was a visible discolored ridge along the inside of the tubing (usually darker, sort of a brownish blackish shiny layer) it's probably HREW, if there was no ridge and either a slightly discolored stripe or no marking at all, it could be DOM. The ridge and discoloration are the result of the HREW process - HREW means High Resistance Electrically Welded. Pretty much it means they roll up some plate/sheet stock till it's tube shaped, then use a resistance welder to weld up the seam. DOM tubing is the same stuff (as I recall) but has been Drawn Over Mandrel (thus DOM) to work the metal into a higher strength form, I forget if it's cold worked or hot worked. As a result of being drawn over the mandrel, the weld ridge gets flattened down and most of the discoloration gets scraped off.

DOM has no stripe besides the lay-line (the writing)
I'm pretty sure I saw a faint remnant of a stripe on a piece in someone's build thread a while ago, but I could be remembering wrong, it's happened many times. Thanks for the correction!

I'm pretty sure I saw a faint remnant of a stripe on a piece in someone's build thread a while ago, but I could be remembering wrong, it's happened many times. Thanks for the correction!

ive been told my metal supplier employees, that you can feel an inner ridge on HREW, but ive not found this to be the case. The hrew i buy locally has no ridges, but an obvious brownish weld line down the tube. im guessing theres variances in metal depending on where its produced etc (i dont care to get into that! why reinvent the wheel, hrew is good, dom is great!,4130 is a pipe dream!)

I would have to say it was HREW tubing. It seems I remember a brownish stripe on it. I wouldn't have known the difference. I've built tube bumpers for all my (12) Toyota projects, but other than that I'm no steel fabricator. I'm a 15 year carpenter/superintendent with a back ground in mechanics. This is my first project since my divorce 6 years ago. It's been that long since I've touched a set of wrenches, or a welder. I've never done this kind of fab work before. i usually buy all my stuff and bolt it on.
This time I decided to build it all my self.

ive been told my metal supplier employees, that you can feel an inner ridge on HREW, but ive not found this to be the case. The hrew i buy locally has no ridges, but an obvious brownish weld line down the tube. im guessing theres variances in metal depending on where its produced etc (i dont care to get into that! why reinvent the wheel, hrew is good, dom is great!,4130 is a pipe dream!)

I would have to say it was HREW tubing. It seems I remember a brownish stripe on it. I wouldn't have known the difference. I've built tube bumpers for all my (12) Toyota projects, but other than that I'm no steel fabricator. I'm a 15 year carpenter/superintendent with a back ground in mechanics. This is my first project since my divorce 6 years ago. It's been that long since I've touched a set of wrenches, or a welder. I've never done this kind of fab work before. i usually buy all my stuff and bolt it on.
This time I decided to build it all my self.

Dude looks good for a six year dry spell! Keep it going and you will just get that much better.

Back