• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet Another Doorless Mod - '99 on CJ Hinges

SC Rednek

NAXJA Forum User
The new style hinges are too difficult for taking doors on and off, so this is what I came up with. I wanted to keep the old hinge mounts in place since my tube doors use those, Once I modify the tube doors to fit the new hinges I'll cut those old ones off.

I've been running this setup since September, but did some trimming and repainting today and took some pictures.

Welded a 1.25" tube to the hinges, it fits very nicely.
100_0108.jpg

This piece mounts the hinges to the tube
000_0001-1.jpg

The whole assembly bolted together
000_0003.jpg

With the door installed. The two wires with the disconnects are the power and ground for the windows. I'd like to find some non-power doors but haven't yet.
000_0009.jpg

The door side hinges bolt to the door skin, not ideal, but it does work. Would be better with a backing plate though. Both the door and the fender have to be trimmed back to fit the hinges between them.
000_0005-1.jpg

000_0006-2.jpg

And the simplified power door controls.
000_0008.jpg

i like it. if I didn't care so much if it leaked when it rained id be doin that.

Do you think those would be strong enough for 2 doors? do you have any door sag at all, or do they close like they should?

They don't sag too much, and they line up with the latches just fine. I definitely wouldn't hang on the end of the door though. I'm not sure how much heavier two doors are, but you would probably have to run a backing plate, or tie into the stock hinge mounts on the end of the door using a piece of angle or something.

Ok. Gotcha the 2 doors are a lot heavier and I all ready have crazy door sag and I wanted easy hindges to switch from stock doors to half doors and also eliminate my door sag. Still an awesome mod.

Back