• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just another Budget Build...

MORE PICTURES!

So I finally have the time/gumption to post up the build of the Rear Bumper... Now this one was rushed and completed in only 2 days compared to about 2 weeks on the front bumper...

So I started with a folded piece of 1/4in just like last time only it was 3in; 90 degree bend; ~5.5in; 90 degree bend; 3in...
picture.php

I used the same system of cutting and folding to achieve the taper I wanted in the bumper for ground clearance...
picture.php

picture.php

I removed the 2in reciever, mostly by breaking all the bolts off, as well as the rear bumper (real pita) and opened up the holes that lead to the inside of the 'frame channel', the orange squares show where these holes are, I made the final opening about 3in X 2in...
picture.php

picture.php

Using the reciever as a guide, I marked where the holes needed to be on the 3inX1.5in Channel steel I will be using as bumper mounts. These will mount to the frame using the same holes used to mount the receiver. I will also be welding on some plates out of 3/16in that will have mounting holes to bolt up to the stock bumper mount placements.
picture.php

Drilling the holes...
picture.php

Mock up of the mounts to the bumper... Shortly after this I realized I needed to shorten them up by about 5in... Better to shorten than to try and lengthen them..
picture.php

The final products/mounts... These use 8 bolts each, all grade 8.8 so They should never come off... Unless I try towing a freight train... They will slide into the channels through the holes I made and bolt up and the bumper will be welded to the ends.
picture.php

Receiver and bracing welded into place. Using some angel iron and channel iron, I reinforced the receiver so that when using a clevis or a receiver hitch, it should bend or pull out of the bumper... Hopefully...
picture.php

Once I welded everything together I realized that it would be very difficult to install the stock mounting bolts, or to insert/remove the pin from the receiver, so I made some nice cut-aways on the bottom so that I had access to both.
picture.php

Added safety chain loops made from 1/2in round stock... Overkill, but we like overkill :patriot:... Primed and ready for rustoleum non-rubberized bed liner...
picture.php

All mounted up, I know the ends are short and don't follow the body, but I ran out of time (all done at high school shop I was student teaching in) and I also wasn't sure what path I was taking with rear quarters so figured I could always modify it in the future...
picture.php

I also took some steel scrap we had and welded in the lower control arms... I figured since I replaced my trashed uppers with aftermarkets, it would put more stress on my stock lowers... Hopefully this works till I can save up some $$$ for adjustable lowers...
picture.php

DEJA VU!!!!
Yet again I found my Heep in the shop completely torn apart!!! Went down to Max-Bilt to put my re-ordered gears for the d30 in since they were there and on my way, the rear diff went BOOM :smsoap:
picture.php

So a lot of money later, I now have new gears and bearings in both axles :rattle: I really shouldn't cry, but it was money I didn't have...

This was the only bearing in the 8.8 that survived... Sort of... :wierd:
picture.php

Project: More than a Budget Build....

Project: Just Another Budget Build has turned into....

Looking back through here, I think it covers most of what happened up till 2011/12 so here goes the newest addition.

WF 2012 Came and following common tradition, I did my fair share of installing parts at the campground, namely, a JCR Skid Plate
picture.php

Wheeled the weekend away and came home realizing that with an LSD 8.8 I could do a lot, but also gained a few more ideas on what was next...

While the 8.8 was nice, I felt my biggest issue was articulation, or the lack there of... So I got in touch with Andy at Ironman 4x4 Fab and ended up with his prototype XJ Long Arm Kit utilizing his arms and the RE Mounting/Skid system.
picture.php
picture.php

(Note: I miss that toolbox and all my tools... Rotten theives...)
picture.php

First I started off trimming the front fenders...
picture.php

Then installed the L.A. Mounts - What I liked was that the RE kit allowed you to drop the skid plate without dropping your front suspension...
picture.php

Also added BriansHo's Boxes and JKS Shackles...
picture.php

That's some nice articulation!
picture.php

Continued...

Last edited:

From here the 31 Cooper STTs I had just didn't.... look right, so I found some 33in Regal TrailBlazers.
picture.php

And installed them on some new 15x8 Soft 8 Rims, wow what a difference!
picture.php
76823_10151081271509811_1067766065_n.jpg

Of course, these created some issues of their own; namely, the rear axle needed to be moved back, and the rear wheel wells needed to be cut and folded... Of course I found cancer!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Project: More than Just a Budget Build

At the same time as doing the Cut and fold and lower quarter removal, I moved the rear axle back 1 in using some home made top-plates...

Evolution
picture.php
picture.php

That looks better...
picture.php

And just in time for WF2013, I tore out the interior and bedlined the floorpans.
picture.php

Did mighty well at WF2013 and brought home a few goodies...

33 MTRs
picture.php

Also won a Currie steering system and installed that...

Poor V8 ZJ steering never had a chance...
picture.php

Currie
picture.php

Steers like a dream...
picture.php

Finally dealt with my axle track-bar mount issue properly... Now I have a stronger mount, and a wider range of movement compared to stock...
picture.php

More will follow as I find more pictures and upload pictures of my more recent work...

Last edited:
So long story short, I'm polishing a turdy-30 and an 8.8 for my jeep. Some of you say why? Well, when you happen to get a deal of installing your current axles into a buddy's jeep for an 8.8 with an ARB locker and 4.88 gears and a bunch more free parts, you take it (well, I would... did...).

Started off cutting down the mounts and what-not on the d30 which I don't have pictures of... Then cutting off the stock TB mount to replace it with a stronger version which I did on my last axle...
picture.php

Then I installed an Artec truss. I've been playing with a truss on masterCAM for quite a while, but just wasn't getting it to the level I wanted, for $100, you really can't beat this deal...
picture.php

This is just a teaser, more pictures to come by the end of the weekend, lots of work to do yet! Parts arriving in the next three or so days:

Yukon 4.88s
Yukon 3.73+ Carrier
Yukon Master Install kit
Yukon Molly outer-stubs (Thanks Justin!)
1-gauge Electrical System cables
8.8 axle seals
8.8 Pinion nut

Planning on inner chromo shafts too??

Eventually.

I have a 27 spline Spartan currently so when I decide to go up to a selectable front locker, I will make the switch up to 30 spline, for now I'll live with my inners being the weakest link...

I've already gone waay over my 'budget' on this project but I wasn't going to put gears from one place with setup kit from another, on a carrier from another.... The fact that the stubs appeared in the sale/trade section had me saying 'why not'...

Well, brown santa delivered some goodies last night and this weekend is going to be
One...
Long...
Weekend...
picture.php

all this and your not coming to WF?

Cheese "sucks" Man

all this and your not coming to WF?

Cheese "sucks" Man

I got denied time off from school... Deciding that since I did WF, Black Hills, and several closer trips last year, plus our honeymoon, I'm going to lay low this year and just give the heep some long overdue TLC... WF2015 I will make if I have to call in sick for Friday and drive all night Thursday to make it...

99SJ 'Always seems like an every other year event' Ex

I know what it is but not telling :D

WTF is the chrome gizmo?

looks like a headlight from some 1930s car...

That is the Siren bit off of a 1950/60s era Firetruck. Most of the time there is also a beacon(light) attached to the front of it. That may or may not be getting mounted in the engine bay if I can find a spot...

99SJ 'Good way to start drivers meeting' Ex

Dropped the rear axle out today and got the old perches/mounts off the 'new' axle and the tubes cleaned up.
1604373_10152017905924811_77701048_n.jpg

Tomorrow I will burn on the new perches then drop it back out so I can clean it up, paint it, and get my Ruffstuff cover on it. Then we'll be working on the d30 gear install and cleaning/painting that...

Back