• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MagicNelson's 99XJ Build "Josephine"

Today I:
-installed my ZJ tie rod, new drag link, and new TREs
-greased everything
-torqued all bolts to spec
-got an alignment
-put on new tires/rims
-adjusted shackle so now it's 45 degrees

I know what you're thinking- where the hell are the pictures? Well it was a pretty crappy/rainy day today and couldn't get any good pics. But I'm happy with how it turned out. It rides pretty nice but I get vibes up until about 30mph. After that, it's smooth. Speaking of vibes, I still need to install my SYE. I don't know why I'm so intimidated by the install but I am. Maybe I'll give a shot this weekend.

Today was nice so I was able to get a good picture. Here she is in all her glory:
IMG_0100-1.jpg

Things I still need to do:
- SYE
- Put my hitch and gas tank skid back on
- Put my t-case skid back on
- Install longer front brake lines
- Install ZJ prop valve
- Trim & relocate fender flares

My neck of the woods is pretty flat so 33s and stock gears isn't that bad. But in a month or so, I plan on regearing to 4.56.

I already have the brake lines. I just need to install them.

Also, I need to figure out how I want to carry my 33" spare since it won't fit in the cargo area anymore.

That's a good question. I never thought of doing that. I was looking into the Detours Knucklebone. Looks like a cheap way to carry around a spare.

Got my SYE installed today. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I took my time and followed a write up on cherokee forum. Everything went smoothly. I'm about to take it for a drive. Crossing my fingers for no vibes!

No vibes at all after the SYE so that's cool. Took the jeep on the highway today and it made me want to regear ASAP. I think I'm going to do a Detroit full case locker in the rear when I do gears. Undecided if I want to install the spartan in the front or save up for a selectable.

No vibes at all after the SYE so that's cool. Took the jeep on the highway today and it made me want to regear ASAP. I think I'm going to do a Detroit full case locker in the rear when I do gears. Undecided if I want to install the spartan in the front or save up for a selectable.

Full case up front if your keeping the D30.
Lock-right in the rear.

Seen a fair number of breakages (in person, not Internet) from flexy stock carriers.

yes stock carriers tend to flex and then you lose proper contact between the gears and you end up stripping teeth.

Ive messed up my ring gear on 33s with a lockrite in the front.

if you can afford it its a good idea.

Agreed. Two ways to go.

Stock 3.55s and a lunchbox. Who cares if you blow one up, they are $50-100 on here and $150 at the junkyard. Blow up R&P? Transfer locker and cover over, bolt new axle in, done.

Regear it? Go with a full case locker for sure if you are a throttle maniac offroad, or maaaaaaaaybe stay with a lunchbox if you are gentle with it. But I'd go with a full case locker.

I'm not a throttle maniac but the extra strength is always nice for peace of mind. Is a full case locker in a front axle as invisible as a lunchbox locker when in 2wd? Thinking about how it will be driving on the street.

I'm not a throttle maniac but the extra strength is always nice for peace of mind. Is a full case locker in a front axle as invisible as a lunchbox locker when in 2wd? Thinking about how it will be driving on the street.

Iv never had one, but I would Imagine so. Its pretty much the same thing as a lunchbox but stronger since its built as part of the carrier. at least thats how I think it works.lol

Back