• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MagicNelson's 99XJ Build "Josephine"

gears aren't hard to setup at all...just the cost of tools is really the only thing...x2 on RCman it really isn't rocket science. If ya need a hand shoot me a p.m. I would be happy to help out.

How often does a bearing go bad?
I'm not sure given my inexperience with the topic. My thinking is that if the gears aren't set with the right shims and pattern or whatever that it wouldn't take long for the bearings to be toast. Maybe I'm over thinking it?

gears aren't hard to setup at all...just the cost of tools is really the only thing...x2 on RCman it really isn't rocket science. If ya need a hand shoot me a p.m. I would be happy to help out.

Thanks for the offer, Outlander. I might take you up on that if I end up going the DIY regear route. I don't have an endless budget so keeping the cost down would be great. Not to mention, I like learning new things.

I just finished a major bunch of upgrades on my XJ and wanted too buy only once so bought on that in mind. a few were 4.56 gears, Detroit Lockers front/rear, Dbl. Shear Track Bar, Adj. U & LCA's, Bilstein shocks and a bunch of other stuff.

For steering I compared a lot of them out there and best bang for the buck you can NOT beat the V8 GC tie rod setup. I bought it all new (Moog) at AutoZone for under $100 including tax. The only reason I can see for something heavier is if you are a hard core Rock Crawler, I'm not. But I'm a hardcore trail user and off roader.

If, when I need to add more I'll add to what I have already piece by piece. Here is a pic of my junk.

Last edited:
Interesting rig HillyBilly_XJ you coming out to NACFest?

Nice rig HillBilly_XJ. I see that you're in the Ozarks in MO. I lived in Springfield for a few years. Ever go out to SMORR?

Took advantage of the nice weather after work today and replaced my steering stabilizer. Here's the old, crusty, 15 year old stabilizer.

qamajubu.jpg

I only had a few hours of daylight so I brought out the big guns. No time to mess around with stubborn, rusty bolts.

aha4ymy2.jpg

I was tired after going to the gym so I had no energy to beat on the tapered bolt. Out came the puller.

jume6yta.jpg

Took some extra force from my trusty length of pipe to pop off. Group shot:

u5amy5ez.jpg

New Rough Country 2.0 installed (I chose to leave the decal off).
2yja4evy.jpg

In other news, my IRO Double sheer track bar came today. Ill be installing that and the ZJ Tie rod this weekend if the weather is nice.

Didn't realize how big and awful those pictures were until I saw them on the computer. Sorry about that guys.
Today I painted up my HD Offroad Brackets and realized that my JCR Rock Sliders mount where the Rock Krawler long arm brackets would go. So that's not going to work. Thinking about the Serious Offroad Long Arm setup instead. Yeah it's a radius setup, but this is a 90% DD and ride quality is my main concern; not unloading or binding or whatever. People seem to have good luck with them.
The shackle relocation brackets:
nybejy5u.jpg

Last edited:
Got a good deal on a set of new Clayton Radius Long Arms. They should be here today. Also ordered a set of 10" travel Bilstein 5100s that should be here by the end of the week.

For now, it looks like the gathering of parts section of this build is complete! (aside from tires) Now I just need to get everything installed. The only things that I'm a bit unsure of when it comes to installation is the SYE and welding up the Clayton Crossmember.

Nice, install is the best part.
Curious as to why did you buy radius when Clayton offers a few other setups. Was it the welding?

I decided on radius for a few reasons. The first being that the welding was minimal. The second being that this is mainly a DD and I didn't feel that a 3 link would have been necessary. The last reason is I got a pretty good deal on it.

I decided on radius for a few reasons. The first being that the welding was minimal. The second being that this is mainly a DD and I didn't feel that a 3 link would have been necessary. The last reason is I got a pretty good deal on it.

I was just curious as the radius setup is more expensive than the 3 link if you are buying their "kits". You'll be happy with it either way if it is mostly a DD, for most situations a radius setup is just fine.

You're right that it is usually more expensive. But I was able to get this kit cheaper than I could have gotten the 3 link from a local dealer. Not by a whole lot but enough for me to pull the trigger and make the decision.

Scored a set of 5 tires and rims today on Craigslist. They're 285/75/16 Goodyear Fierce Attitude M/Ts on mint TJ rubicon moabs in gunmetal black.
Also, today I took out my 1" transfercase drop in anticipation of my SYE install next week. I've never touched a transfercase before but I read as many write ups as I could and I think I've got everything I need to get it done. Next weekend is when all of this stuff is going to be installed. I just need to figure out how I'm going to get the crossmember welded up. Thinking about taking it to the local 4x4 shop to make sure it's welded up properly.

Got the crossmember welded up and the back half of the lift done. Doing the front tomorrow. I didn't take any pictures during the lift process because I was lazy and too busy yelling/cursing/throwing stuff. But mostly because I was lazy. Ill post before and after pics when I finish.

Nice build! I love how clean it is and want to see it on 33s!

Thanks Luke. It's been a priority of mine to keep it clean looking.
So I worked on the jeep all day today and didn't finish. Here's what I got done:
-Passenger LCA/UCA removed
-Stock track bar/bracket removed
- New Clayton passenger lower and upper arms adjusted and installed
- JKS ACOS (passenger side) installed
- Drilled & tapped the coil bucket and installed hockey pucks
- IRO Double sheer track bar installed

The majority of my day was fighting with getting the stock parts off. Broke the axle side track bar bolt so it took me a few hours to get that sorted out. Then I couldn't get the frameside UCA bolt out. Then I couldn't get the axle pushed forward enough to set the Clayton arms to the right length. It's a good thing I had some ratchet straps and something solid in front of my jeep to bring the axle forward. What a PITA. Oh and cutting off the LCA brackets is also a PITA. Tomorrow I will finish the drivers side and get an alignment/put my new tires & rims on. It will be a glorious moment when all of this is done.

Thanks Tony I really enjoy your build as well!
Progress report day #3:
Today I finished up the drivers side arms and got everything dialed in. The stock control arms on that side came off fairly easy compared to the other side. Most of my time today was spent lining up the axle because I made the mistake of taking both control arms off at the same time. I'm pretty much an expert at ratchet strapping now. So after messing with that for a few hours, I finally got everything where it needed to be but then I couldn't figure out how to center my axle under the jeep with my new track bar. Took me a few hours to realize that all I needed to do was unbolt the thing and turn the steering wheel. Duh.
Tomorrow I'm taking off of work to finish it up and rest. Going to bring it in for an alignment after I put on my ZJ tie rod, new drag link and new TREs. Should be pretty easy to do. Luckily I was able to pull into my garage tonight so I don't have to work on it in the rain tomorrow. Pics to come!

Back