• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many things could go wrong? Seriously?

99SJ_Ex

NAXJA Forum User
So there's no pictures of my project this weekend of lift/tires/other nice things... Cause I broke the camera...

Ended up doing every thing in my garage with hand tools cause my friend at the dealership backed out of letting me use his lift on Saturday. The front went okay after I bought Coil compressors (at an outrageous price..) No issues there...

Time came for the rear end lift - everything that could possibly go wrong, probably did... Broke all 4 upper shock bolts (I knew that was gona happen...) Drilled em out and tapped em for new bolts. Ee bolts for the main leaves wouldn't budge with a breaker bar and a 6ft long pole on it... (broke the breaker bar... twice). So I went for plan B - used a grinder to remove the leaf pack clamps and dropped the leaves out from under the main. This only happened after I broke both leaf pack bolts, and subsequently, the bottom-most leaf also broke in two on each side. I had gone and picked up some 2.5* shims and while I was at the place, I went in the back room an noticed a couple leafs there that looked like my AAL only a little longer and a little thicker. Bought em for $10. Back to the story, installed the packs as follows: main leaf, o.e.m. leaf, AAL, $10 leaf, o.e.m. leaf. I then encountered a problem that the axle had shifted backwards, so used some ratchet straps to pull it forward and bolt up the leaf packs. Installed the rear shocks and then mounted the tires. Took it for a test drive, so of course being a '99, it had driveline vibes on accel/cruise. Had to get back here to school so I drove it that way. Hopefully I figure out what to do for vibes before WF... SO now I can finally say this in my sig:

1999 Jeep Cheokee Sport
3in RC Coils
RC Shocks
RC AAL/Bastard Pack
31in BFG A/Ts

P.S. - Also sliced my left pointer finger open at the joint and through the muscle, gotta love super-glue... :D

Welcome to like working on my XJ. I feel your pain and just about every job I do turns into a nightmare. Chin up we enjoy this stuff right?

Parakeet

your vibes will all go bye bye once you put an sye on your t-case. the 97+ cases were alot longer than the earlier cases, I had vibes with the bb I put on my 99, I made a t-case drop and all is good, with only 2" of lift.

Yes, I can officially say I put sweat and blood into this thing, we're bonded for life...

I am currently too poor to get an SYE... I want to do a transfer case drop, but I encountered a problem with this idea... Instead of two bolts going up into the transfer case skid and into the chassis, Each side has a bolt going up and then a stud coming down... The stud is not long enough to even drop the case 1/2in... Anyone else have this problem?...

That's the stock fastener arrangement for the crossmember. There's no technical reason that you can't remove the studs, and either thread in longer studs, or just use long bolts in their place. As you've found out, you have break those studs off when you try to remove them.

Does anyone know approx how long of a bolt I'll need for a 1in drop? It'd make it easier to get them before I go breakin em off...

Geez, man...... You need enough for a 1" drop, plus the thickness of the crossmember, plus enough for good thread engagement. Considering that it's going up inside the crossmember, there's not much penalty for too much thread. 2"?

good to hear it was accomplished. Me not so lucky with the add leaf and BB's My driver side leaf spring is slightly broken so i am going to hold off till next month and just do the 3" in lift with some new 3.5 leaf springs.
I however have decided not try this myself and pay the money to have it done by the professionals. i know i am a pansy but i would prefer to drive it at the end of the day and save myself the frustration.
also looks like i might make it to WF. CONVOY here we come. Let you know for sure later.
sorry i got no advice on your transfer case issue

when you pull the studs, make sure you put alot of heat on them to help removal. breaking these off is a real PITA.

pull a bolt, go to the bolt store and get them 1" longer.

Sounds like you had a bit of fun after picking up the tires eh? Just imagine how much fun it's going to be when you finally get to replace that sagging AAL and put a full pack in. When reinstalling, I hope you remembered the anti-seize!

Sounds like you had a bit of fun after picking up the tires eh? Just imagine how much fun it's going to be when you finally get to replace that sagging AAL and put a full pack in. When reinstalling, I hope you remembered the anti-seize!

Well it might be a while, even tho I took out the smallest leafs (cause they broke in half..) I added those extras I picked up which seem really beefy... Who knows, time will tell... (And when it does, I'll drive up to your house to do it! :helpme: lol)

Well it might be a while, even tho I took out the smallest leafs (cause they broke in half..) I added those extras I picked up which seem really beefy... Who knows, time will tell... (And when it does, I'll drive up to your house to do it! :helpme: lol)

I got a heat wrench and a sawzall. I ain't skeered.

Yes, anti-sleaze is your friend! When I was taking the rear shackles apart on my XJ this past weekend I was sOOOO glad that I had used liberal helpings of anti-sleaze!

Sounds about like a regular Jeep project. JIM knows full well how much the stock crossmember studs are a PITA. My TNT crossmember is only held in with 5 out of 6 bolts because of a !@#$%& stud.

My FSJ was a PITA to lift also. Had to cut every leaf spring bolt with the torch, drop the gas tank to access a weld nut that broke and use some creative engineering to get the rear leafs to flex enough to drop into the shackle.

pm me your address, and i can send you a t-case drop kit, i got it for free from a NAXJA member in the karma thread, im not longer using it, so might as well pass it along to someone that needs it, i have the spacers and the bolts, so, it will get you taken care of

I am anxious to see pics of this rig. It is always cool to see the progression of other members rigs :thumbup: or regression in my case :D

Back