• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MagicNelson's 99XJ Build "Josephine"

Today I was going to install front and rear bar pin eliminators on my Bilstein 5100s but quickly realized how much of a PITA pressing out those bar pins would be. So I scrapped that idea and just ordered longer shocks. My current shocks and BPEs will be up for sale soon if anyone wants them. Also, I'm going to try to regear before NACFest. Going to try and get an appointment sometime this week to get it done so ill have the break in period done in time.

Today I was going to install front and rear bar pin eliminators on my Bilstein 5100s but quickly realized how much of a PITA pressing out those bar pins would be. So I scrapped that idea and just ordered longer shocks. My current shocks and BPEs will be up for sale soon if anyone wants them. Also, I'm going to try to regear before NACFest. Going to try and get an appointment sometime this week to get it done so ill have the break in period done in time.

Break in took me a week. So don't worry about it. And if you do need a guy look up DMR offroad on pirate 4x4 he does awesome work for a fair price.

Not gonna have time to schedule an appointment for a regear before NACFest so the stock gears will have to do for now. To try and make up for that, ill be Installing my trans cooler this upcoming weekend.
This past weekend I trimmed my front fenders and relocated the flares a few inches higher. Looks pretty good and I don't rub anywhere. Also, got my bunpstops adjusted and everything looks good. Got about an inch of shock to spare on compression and extension.
I adjusted my steering stops today too. I have no idea why I waited so long to do that. Took 5 minutes and I don't rub on the LCAs anymore. Cool.
Only things left to do before NACFest:
Mount fire extinguisher
Install trans cooler

Well just installed the fire extinguisher so only 1 thing on the list left to do.
aty6uryq.jpg

Thanks guys. There are a few things I wish I could have gotten to but I needed to separate the "must do" and the "it'd be nice" lists or else I'd drive myself crazy. The things on the "it'd be nice" list were:
New leaf spring bushings
New motor mounts (still waiting on my order to ship from a month ago)
Locker in the Dana 30

Might try to tackle the locker if I have time this weekend. I only plan on doing green/blue trails so it's not a huge deal if I don't get to it.

What locker are you putting in your D30?

I have a Spartan laying around. I've been debating on whether or not to install it because I want to go with a selectable in the front when I regear.

Installed my trans cooler today. Of course the fittings that came with the B&M cooler are the wrong thread pitch for the XJ radiator so I had to bypass the radiator even though I didn't want to. Also, my trans fluid was black...
ere7azab.jpg

Drained what was in the pan and refilled. Going to try and do that a few more times this week and hope it gets redder before I leave for NACFest.

Bummer that you cant make it dude. There's always next year!
and yep, I'm gonna e going through a lot of dex/merc III this week. I should really find gallon jugs instead of going through all these quarts.

Drain and fill 3x with a drive between fills shifting through the gears. Should get 90% of the fluid swapped

Do what Justin said. I wouldn't panic if it's still shifting well. I bought my first XJ with 187k on it and the AW4 fluid was black. That thing lasted another 120k miles before I sold it to someone else. Still shifted mint.

Yeah it shifts fine so I was surprised when I saw how black it was. It has about 155k miles...not sure if its ever been changed. Once the fluid turns red, ill drop the pan and change out the filter.

Yeah don't worry about the AW4. They're pretty bulletproof... the one in my MJ had 207k on it when the previous owner bought it, fluid looked like motor oil with 20k on it. Replaced the lines and did a drain and fill, abused that thing till around 240k and then gave the transmission to someone else. I've killed two AW4s and was working on a third, but none of them were at fault, I had to do some really bad things to them to cause any issues.

Mine was pretty dark at 154k too... I did 2 drain refills and am calling it good for now.. I may do a couple later. Not sure if I'll bother dropping the pan and mess with the filter or not.

Have to second Ken's remarks on the AW4 - they are tough boxes.

Sorry I missed you out there this weekend - I was busy wining "Most Thrashed" (and then getting it back together enough to be able to drive it home) on Friday and Saturday. Maybe we'll get a chance to chat at NACFest '15...

Back