• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

16th Annual SoCalXJ.com Jamboree at Corral Canyon

Would you purchase a SoCalXJ.com t-shirt for the Jamboree next month?

• Yes: 1 Adult Small

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes: 1 Adult Medium

• Yes: 1 Adult XXXL

• Yes: 2 Adult Small

• Yes: 2 Adult Medium

• Yes: 2 Adult XLs

• Yes: 2 Adult XXL

• Yes: 2 Adult XXXL

• Yes: 3 or more of a TBD size

• Yes: 4 or more of a TBD size

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So socalxj is too cheap to buy a real website, so they get to use ours free? Awesome.

the members are too old to use a web forum so they just stick to an email based group that they can access from their Jitterbugs.

Motion to ban all socalxj members

LOL, I know you're all mostly joking, but it's clear you newbs have not got a clue. So I'll break it down for you a la soap box.

We HAVE a website, read the title of this post "SoCalXJ.com Jamboree" and it's hosted and run by ourselves without any money or dues.

Obviously if you go to it, it's down right now (remember, running it ourselves for free? ha) and just redirects to the yahoo groups right now. But for about 8 years it was running PHPNuke until that machine crapped out, and we have not re-installed the CMS yet onto the new machine. Several years before that I coded it myself by hand in notepad. SoCalXJ predates Yahoo Groups actually. It was called eGroups back then. It also predates vBulletin and the SoCal chapter of NAXJA. :D

We ARE working on an XJ Wiki actually (https://wiki.socalxj.com) to help better create tech articles. Remember MADXJ Tech? Yeah, probably not, but this old timer does and it was a good source of info that was easy to use. But now that too is down I believe. It's so hard to find tech stuff on a vBulleten forum sometimes because it gets buried, the hot linked photos go down, and sometimes it's out of date because you can't really update it and keep it current. People post the same stuff over and over. We were going to invite you folks to contribute and help out with the wiki, but that's still in discussion. Maybe we'll ban "you people" from it, haha. See? Now I'm kidding.

I personally hated web forums for a long time, and avoided NAXJA for many many years because of it. We old timers remember e-mail and news group forums before the web really existed. I'm serious. xj.off-road-list-L anyone? :D The problem with people who dislike the "e-mail format" don't know how to run their email with filters, or just get another free e-mail address for lists only. Even so, they also don't realize Yahoo Groups still has web forum version if you really love a web forum. You can just easily select to "turn off e-mails" on your account, and read it only on the web. So in that sense, it's way better then vBulletin. Yahoo Groups gives you the option of reading and reply to e-mail, with a web forum. Imagine that! Yahoo Groups was never even meant to be "email based." It was a web forum that had the option of turning on e-mails. That's how eGroups was supported with advertisements on the website. It's still like that a bit on the Yahoo Groups actually.

So anyway, I'm not sure how we are "using your website" since we have a web forum, an e-mail list, a calendar, places for photos and attachments, a wiki, polls, etc. If anything NAXJA doesn't have a website. NAXJA just has a vBulleten forum and that's it. Because I cross posted the announcement like I have been doing for the past 10 years? Because of the cross-posted poll? All we're doing is just inviting our friends who like to joke around with and have a good time, but maybe have no clue what they are talking about. It's ok, we were newbs too at one time. Hehe.

I know you're all just messing with SoCalXJ peeps. I usually just let the SoCalXJ vs NAXJA thing go because I understand people like to kid around. I understand, like Carol said, a lot of us are "bi" and do both. I understand the new people don't get it, because they don't know what SoCalXJ really is or was. Frankly it's all the same to me, and I don't see a division since I am on both groups and see the same people at all the same functions. But the joking around is old to me now, and now you know what's really up. The joke doesn't make sense to me, saying it's e-mail based and we don't have a website is wrong, and now the joke is on you. ;)

<drops the mic>

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/socalxj/polls/poll/3205939

HpgbvI2.png

HMhbsmy.png

Last edited:
i would say yes. there will be plenty of drinking around the fire, but everyone is pretty respectful, and you can easily keep your kid away if need be. There were a bunch of kids there last time.
You guys might see me, I have a 10yo son & a 6yo daughter - met you guys about 3 years ago at the summer beach thing. Been trying to put a little money into my jeep when i can (need tires now). It's all good w/ the campfire talk (i will find something for them to do) wife would be coming too, she's been wanting to meet some new people.

where are you guys camping at the upper or lower campground?

The campground that is "past" 4 Corners if you are coming up from Buckman Springs road... I guess that's the lower one.

It's first come first serve, and the other campground that is east of 4 Corners may end up being overflow if we can't all squeeze into the first campground.

Sorry mike, you've been here 12 years, I guess next year I won't be a newb anymore? :roflmao:

Again with the assumptions. Like I said, I avoided signing up for NAXJA because I used to dislike the web forum format. I remember reading the board before it was on vBulletin before vBulletin existed. I was lurking on it. I signed up for SoCalXJ in the late 90's, so technically I've been here and there for 17 years. Sorry if that makes me sound like "I was cool before it was cool to be cool" hipster, but that's not my intention. Just saying you are incorrect on the 12 years thing. :D

Anyway, I hope you can make it! It's been a long time since I've seen ya.

I may come up just for Saturday.
You guys having organized runs or just informally meeting up before you hit the trails?

I may come up just for Saturday.
You guys having organized runs or just informally meeting up before you hit the trails?

A little bit from column A, and a little bit from column B. There will be organized runs, and we'll informally discuss what the plan is before we all hit the trails. There will be a moderate run that will get progressively harder with options of exiting and head back throughout the day.

Thanks to all that voted in the poll for t-shirts. If you didn't vote, you're in luck, see step #6 below.

Regardless of your vote, NOW is the time to pay up! Follow the steps below.

– PayPal on or before this Sunday night 03/08/15 if at all possible –

$12.00 per shirt to:
[email protected]

1. PLEASE make sure to send the payment as "to family/friends" which will help make the dollar figures simple! DO NOT send the payment as for "goods/services" otherwise we'll get charged a service fee. Doing this run as a favor and a friend, and because people have been asking. Not trying to make money. That is all.

2. PLEASE ALSO include in the PayPal comments section when you pay
What SIZE shirt(s) you want, and HOW MANY.

3. If you don't have PayPal

Find someone that does, and pay them back! Or join us kids in the 21st century and sign up for a free PayPal account of your own.

4. The cost

Again, not looking to make money here, and they'll likely not cost quite as much. Whatever profit besides shirt setup costs left over (besides any SoCalXJ.com website costs) will get donated to a non-profit that helps keeps trails open. Feel free to suggest one. Except N A X J A. Ha, kidding. Sort of.

5. See attached image for the final design.
It's fairly identical on the back to the last/third run of shirts, but the front is the old school, first and second run t-shirts we did.

6. If you didn't vote in the poll, that's fine, you can still purchase a shirt. The poll was just a rough head count and so that people could be guarnateed what they really wanted. We are just under the minimum order on quantity so feel free to order more, or order shirts if you didn't vote. But you must make proper arrangements this weekend or else you won't be guaranteed a shirt. It's unlikely there will be extras.

7. Will you ship? Can I pay later?
Not likely. Pay up front/ahead of time if it all possible. No shipping. Will consider holds or CODs at the event (or one of the meet and greets) on a case by case basis. You must make prior arrangements and stick to them.

8. Can I get a gray shirt, or white shirt?
No. Black shirt only with white ink. But there might be at least one extra purple XXXL.

Last edited:
Back