• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One reason the TNT Longarm kit sucks:

Goatman said:
Full Traction is good stuff, well thought out design and very well made. However, the lower control arms are still mounted beneath the frame rails which robs ground clearance and break over angle. There is no easy way to get the lower arms mounted up inside the frame rails, you have to give up something (like ease of pulling the tranny) to get it done.......but it's worth it.

I agree, but I really think the two best kits out there are the Full Traction and the TNT kit, but after that, it comes down to what you're more interested in, Y-radius with great clearance or 4-Link with a bit less clearance. (you can get bent arms for the Full Traction kit, they sell them for the JeepSpeed guys). You have to give somewhere for performance and a bellypan should be the least of peoples worries when removing stuff. I'd take a belly pan like the TNT kit any day, no matter what I had to remove to change a tranny.

crybaby.jpg

Last edited:
Dirt said:
I figured he had a mechanical inkling.

He posted just to badmouth TNT. I see that as bullshit. So I ride his nutz.:scottm:

Honestly I didn't post it to badmouth TNT. I actually think it is a fairly well thought out kit and VERY competitively priced. I think EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE LONGARM DISCUSSIONS is good for the people who are shopping for a longarm kit to read. Yes, I worded the title a little harshly, but it got the desired response/debate. If anybody is shopping for a longarm kit, and looking at all of the options out there, this is a valid point for them to consider. Not all of us have tons of mechanical ability, the truth is some people DO pay to get their rigs worked on, and when you're talking installation of these kits varying from a couple of hours for Clayton's kit to several hours for a couple of the others, it can make a difference. I don't know about where you are, but around here shop labor rates range somewhere between $75-95 per hour. I know everybody has their own opinion, and I'm not trying to change yours, simply offering one valid point.

And for a little background, I have been running the Clayton's kit for five years, I can count the number of times I've hit the crossmember on one hand, and it has NEVER hit to the point of stopping me or holding me up. It's a very solid kit and holds up to abuse well. For those of you doubting my mechanical ability, I am an ASE certified tech with over 11 years of professional experience. I am also highly regarded in the local Jeep scene. This entire thread is good discussion. I know those of us who are experienced have our own ways of seeing/doing things, this thread probably was more meant towards people who AREN'T as experienced. I really don't understand the need for the personal attacks in a tech. forum, though.

J

Last edited:
I am in LOVE with my TnT longarms....and the install really wasn't that bad... i did it on the sideyard of my partents house while i was down on a weekend visit.

So i'm going to have to agree with the slogan suggestion....

"NOT for CRYBABIES"

Avanteone said:
Honestly I didn't post it to badmouth TNT. I actually think it is a fairly well thought out kit and VERY competitively priced. I think EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE LONGARM DISCUSSIONS is good for the people who are shopping for a longarm kit to read. Yes, I worded the title a little harshly, but it got the desired response/debate. If anybody is shopping for a longarm kit, and looking at all of the options out there, this is a valid point for them to consider. Not all of us have tons of mechanical ability, the truth is some people DO pay to get their rigs worked on, and when you're talking installation of these kits varying from a couple of hours for Clayton's kit to several hours for a couple of the others, it can make a difference. I don't know about where you are, but around here shop labor rates range somewhere between $75-95 per hour. I know everybody has their own opinion, and I'm not trying to change yours, simply offering one valid point.

And for a little background, I have been running the Clayton's kit for five years, I can count the number of times I've hit the crossmember on one hand, and it has NEVER hit to the point of stopping me or holding me up. It's a very solid kit and holds up to abuse well. For those of you doubting my mechanical ability, I am an ASE certified tech with over 11 years of professional experience. I am also highly regarded in the local Jeep scene. This entire thread is good discussion. I know those of us who are experienced have our own ways of seeing/doing things, this thread probably was more meant towards people who AREN'T as experienced. I really don't understand the need for the personal attacks in a tech. forum, though.

J

I don't understan why your wondering why your getting attacked when you decide to make a thread like this. The tnt kit is clearly a better offroad suspension application which is what we do here, drive our vechiles offroad. If you really offroad your rig, it breaks. You need to know how to work on your own rig plain and simple, because your in others peoples way on the trail you need to know how to make it work so you don't wreck everyone elses day on the trail,it doesn't matter your level of expreience, either that or you better know a good towing company, good luck getting AAA to come up the hammers or something. If you do pay to have other people to work on your junk and you run real trials you need to bring that dude with tools with you.....jk. You should have enough money to be able to not complain,

if you have enough dough to shell out to have someone put your lift kit on for you should have enough to have them fix whatever it gets in the way of and to keep your mouth shut.

Here's the solution for you who think a tnt la kit will get in the way of a clutch install too much to installand that that's more valuable than clearence offroad, learn to drive stick better or get an AW4.

And nobody personally attacked you, they attacked your comment, nobody called you fat or said you suck at life.

Avanteone said:

J

Good points, and yes, this is a good discussion. However, if you name a thread like you did you have to be prepared to take some crap.... :wave:

Goatman said:
Good points, and yes, this is a good discussion. However, if you name a thread like you did you have to be prepared to take some crap.... :wave:

I was prepared, I don't take any of it personally. I still know the difference between the web and real life. Hahahhaha I DO remember where I'm at. I just noticed this smily :flame: I shoulda put a couple of those in the first one. hehe

J

I will likely still get the TNT kit when the time comes... Good to know but not a deal breaker for me..
Aaron

My Cherokee already had a clutch replacement recently before I got, and I've never had to replace a clutch in any of my vehicles (i.e. I'm not hard on clutches), so I should be okay there. I'm having a Box4rocks doubler and Bronco Dana 20 installed along with the TnT lift, so those should be good for a while. I guess I'm not too worried about it.

Avanteone said:

J

:yelclap: Good job standing up for yourself. And yes, I do see the need for threads like this. I stand by my points in this thread and understand your point. For everyone else, take a look at the users list.....tell me that they all post on this forum all the time. Many of them just have id's so that they can read the threads, many like this. So kudos to him for having the balls to put his ass on the line.....even if I disagree.

53guy said:
:yelclap: Good job standing up for yourself. And yes, I do see the need for threads like this. I stand by my points in this thread and understand your point. For everyone else, take a look at the users list.....tell me that they all post on this forum all the time. Many of them just have id's so that they can read the threads, many like this. So kudos to him for having the balls to put his ass on the line.....even if I disagree.
Well put.

Just figured I'd say something, since it's my heep that started this thread. :) I knew the drawbacks of the TnT kit before I bought it...because of threads like this. John's not bashing the TnT kit just for the sake of bashing the company; merely showing a real life, "it actually happened" example of how the TnT LA kit can be problematic.

AND, as he said, it turned out not as big of a problem as he anticipated. All this being said, I still love the clearence the TnT's afford, and would not likely trade them for any other kit.

BTW, the Jeep's got 180k on it, so a clutch was inevitable at some point (although I did put 220k on the original clutch of my first car). I think the 6 months of 3.07 gears and 33" tires might have taken some life out the XJ's clutch!
Avanteone said:
I am also highly regarded in the local Jeep scene.
In your own mind, maybe...! ;)

-----Matt-----

WTF cares? He posted up experience, no ones cussed at a great part before when it was p@ssing them off? Is everyone being sponsored by TNT? I like their stuff, but everytime someone posts someting even remotely derogatory about them, people ride their nutz like they going to get free parts. Experience is what I like about this club, good or bad. That's what I read.

53guy said:
we have to remove the entire interior of a helicopter i work on to change a peice that has 2 bolts. to get to the point of replacing the peice takes about 2 days of work for a 2 minute fix. lol, that's a shit load of extra work.....not 20 min of dropping a belly pan.

I deal with the same type of stuff on the aircraft I maintain so I know exactly what you mean.:D

brokexj said:
WTF cares? He posted up experience, no ones cussed at a great part before when it was p@ssing them off? Is everyone being sponsored by TNT? I like their stuff, but everytime someone posts someting even remotely derogatory about them, people ride their nutz like they going to get free parts. Experience is what I like about this club, good or bad. That's what I read.

Ditto....I've read some of these TnT threads where someone mentions the color is not to their liking or the arms flex too much or whatever and everyone seems to flip out. If they're paying royalties or something I feel bad for being left out. ;)

Having wheeled with John and his Clayton's kit, Matt with his TnT setup and me with old fashioned drop brackets and fixed RE arms, we all seem to go the same places without too much difficulty....of course the mall never is that tough.

53guy said:
(you can get bent arms for the Full Traction kit, they sell them for the JeepSpeed guys). .

Just for everyone's info...
I spoke incorrectly there....I was asked where you can buy the bent arms and Full Traction no longer makes them. They were made to comply with JeepSpeed rules and since they changed the rules, Full Traction discontinued them.

Back