• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do i have the skills to install a AA SYE kit?

I did my SYE for 2 hours a night for 3 days. that's from drop to reinstallation. I have minimal mechanical experience also
honestly the hardest part was accessing some of the bolts that held it to the transmission

I had a buddy who has done this before just sit there and drink beer and supervise and help with any small snags I ran into. this eliminated all frustration. just follow the instructions

I say DO take the case out. As a first timer I felt much more comfortable taking the time to remove it and have it free to spin and maneuver to work on. but that's just me

Last edited:
The AA SYE was my first drivetrain related repair. Tackled it by myself in my friend's garage with the Jeep on a lift. I wanted his supervision, being a decent mechanic, but he was gone most of the time I was working.

Didn't take the case out, seemed easier that way. I never watched the vid, just read through the instructions as I worked. I had a really nice pair of snap-ring pliers and that was still the hardest part of the install. I bet dealing with snap rings took me 1/2 the time of the total install. Got it done in about 5 hours.

You've obviously never worked flat rate ;) I'd bet my life that I could have both shafts out in under 5 minutes, given a lift and the proper tools. Heck, even in the sand, pouring rain, and mosquitos feasting on my flesh, I still had the front shaft in, in about 15 minutes using a 8mm wrench.

Ive worked flat rate for many summers through college. and even when doing that, I ran a little shop out of my garage. Id be willing to be Ive installed more Slip yoke eliminators in various jeeps, and done more axle builds than you have wheeled.

pulling 2 axle shafts in 5 mins....thats funny:twak:

pulling 2 axle shafts in 5 mins....thats funny

Why are we talking about axles? Neither axle is even touched during this project. Driveshafts dude. 3/8 cordless impact, 3/8 to 1/4 adapter, and a universal jointed 1/4" drive 8mm socket. 12 bolts (or 16 after the SYE), 5 Minutes.... Or less now that I think about it.

As for replacing parts while you're in there, it's a good idea but I don't really think its necessary (besides my infamous spring). Maybe a new o ring for the pickup tube just because it's easy to lose. I did mine at 160k and-.... Err ok Maybe I'm not the best example :p

Back