• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deployment money XJ - the Blurple

picture.php

Almost ready for shipping. Pretty beast.

Last edited:
Who is building the motor?

Russ Pottenger is building it. Here's the basics:

Keith Black IC944 pistons for a 0.02 overbore (21cc dish)
12-wt crankshaft from a 258
Heat-treated Comp Cams 68-232-4
Stock style rocker arms
Comp Cams valve springs/keepers
Oversized intake valves (2.0 from 1.91)
Oversized exhaust valves (1.55 from 1.50)
Melling standard volume oil pump
Comp Cams two-row timing chain
Five-angle valve job, ported head, port-matched 99+ intake
24 lb/hr injectors from Five-o Motorsport

Russ tells me it'll have a SCR just north of 9.0 and a DCR somewhere in the mid 7's. It'll be cooled by a Novak radiator and electric fan setup, and tuned by FlyinRyan on an SCT setup. With all this together, I should (fingers crossed) be able to run 87 at sealevel.

Except for the displacement bump and the bigger valves, it's pretty much stock style. Just done better (in theory). And it won't have 230,000 miles on it.

Russ Pottenger is building it. Here's the basics:

Keith Black IC944 pistons for a 0.02 overbore (21cc dish)
12-wt crankshaft from a 258
Heat-treated Comp Cams 68-232-4
Stock style rocker arms
Comp Cams valve springs/keepers
Oversized intake valves (2.0 from 1.91)
Oversized exhaust valves (1.55 from 1.50)
Melling standard volume oil pump
Comp Cams two-row timing chain
Five-angle valve job, ported head, port-matched 99+ intake
24 lb/hr injectors from Five-o Motorsport

Russ tells me it'll have a SCR just north of 9.0 and a DCR somewhere in the mid 7's. It'll be cooled by a Novak radiator and electric fan setup, and tuned by FlyinRyan on an SCT setup. With all this together, I should (fingers crossed) be able to run 87 at sealevel.

Except for the displacement bump and the bigger valves, it's pretty much stock style. Just done better (in theory). And it won't have 230,000 miles on it.

Giggity!!!!! Thanks for making my 4.7 feel inadequate! :D I will be having it tuned by FlyinRyan for sure.

That's a pretty standard and reliable build. I'm interested to see how the valves work out for you. I run 87 with no problem with a similar build with a little sexier cam.

That's a pretty standard and reliable build. I'm interested to see how the valves work out for you. I run 87 with no problem with a similar build with a little sexier cam.

Sexy is definitely the word i would use to describe that cam.

Thats a fun motor

Assume that you are reusing stock rods?

Yeah, with a little cleanup work of course.

Giggity!!!!! Thanks for making my 4.7 feel inadequate! :D I will be having it tuned by FlyinRyan for sure.

I've only read good things. I'll post up the results when I finally get hands on it.

I'm a little curious about the valves myself. Many folks on jeepstrokers.com argue that the standard size is optimal even for a 4.6L. But honestly I didn't spec the thing out myself. I just told Russ what I want the engine to do, which is basically be torquey and Alaska-and-back-reliable. After that, I let the expert handle the details...

I'm a little curious about the valves myself. Many folks on jeepstrokers.com argue that the standard size is optimal even for a 4.6L. But honestly I didn't spec the thing out myself. I just told Russ what I want the engine to do, which is basically be torquey and Alaska-and-back-reliable. After that, I let the expert handle the details...

When I was looking into the valves it was still a newer idea and there wasn't much hard data I could find. I decided a stock HO head would be easier when I refreshed and swapped. Your experience may convince me to finally build another head.

When I was looking into the valves it was still a newer idea and there wasn't much hard data I could find. I decided a stock HO head would be easier when I refreshed and swapped. Your experience may convince me to finally build another head.

Well it sounds like we have the makings of a mud race when I get back. Then I can finally see your Red Rocket in action. Wait, that came out wrong... :roll:

Well it sounds like we have the makings of a mud race when I get back. Then I can finally see your Red Rocket in action. Wait, that came out wrong... :roll:

I'd bet it would be a who broke the rear shaft first race unless the two of you have traction bars....... :roll: I've thought about getting a stroker built vs an engine swap to a v-8. Price keeps me away from all that. And the fict that I need a better tire before I need a better engine. LOL!

I'd bet it would be a who broke the rear shaft first race unless the two of you have traction bars....... :roll: I've thought about getting a stroker built vs an engine swap to a v-8. Price keeps me away from all that. And the fict that I need a better tire before I need a better engine. LOL!

This! Doesn't matter what the motor can do right now I can't put its full effectiveness to the wheels anyways. That's going to change soon in some different possible ways. Definitely get a traction bar built before you take delivery of the final product.

This has been a long time coming, due to some delays outside my control. But progress is fast and furious now.

Stroker in.
picture.php

Stiffeners on.
picture.php

Yellow bits applied.
picture.php

Coming along nicely. Damn that 4.5" lift sits high, though. 33s time I think.

Nice! I see you are at Tom's and that looks a lot like Doug under there! :gee:

Nice! I see you are at Tom's and that looks a lot like Doug under there! :gee:

I don't think so. Having it done by Team_Willys at Rock Solid Fab. But since I don't know where Tom's is, maybe you're right? Could have an arrangement with them.

Good to know.

The stroker picture is at Tyler's. The stiffeners are at Tom's.

Your XJ is looking good. I can wait to hear about Russ' stroker and how it performs.

Back