• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deployment money XJ - the Blurple

The stroker picture is at Tyler's. The stiffeners are at Tom's.

Your XJ is looking good. I can wait to hear about Russ' stroker and how it performs.

Yep. Good Eye! Didn't catch that. Does Russ have a site?

Not that I know of.

Nice thread. Start out like most of us.... On the cheap. Lol.
Though I don't see a striker anywhere in my future , Id be happy with a lift and nicer tires... Even though I'm only 2wd (strange for a 93 XJ), it's what I could get on ultra short notice.

Nice! I see you are at Tom's and that looks a lot like Doug under there! :gee:

The stroker picture is at Tyler's. The stiffeners are at Tom's.

Your XJ is looking good. I can wait to hear about Russ' stroker and how it performs.

I have been helping tyler with it here recently, we took it to work because suspension and stiffeners are SOOO much easier on a lift. Jeep is coming along nicely, i took it for a spin the other day to see how the new suspension rides. very nice, and i like the metalcloak arms a lot. Can't wait to get it tuned and wake the motor up a little bit.

I have been helping tyler with it here recently, we took it to work because suspension and stiffeners are SOOO much easier on a lift. Jeep is coming along nicely, i took it for a spin the other day to see how the new suspension rides. very nice, and i like the metalcloak arms a lot. Can't wait to get it tuned and wake the motor up a little bit.

Well hell, my jeep is more a child of the SEC every day. Thanks for working on the ol' girl, good to hear things are coming along well.

Nice thread. Start out like most of us.... On the cheap. Lol.
Though I don't see a striker anywhere in my future , Id be happy with a lift and nicer tires... Even though I'm only 2wd (strange for a 93 XJ), it's what I could get on ultra short notice.

I'd take a 2wd '93 over a lot of cars. Still an XJ. Thanks for the kind words.

6f4176e9ede5d783d35d99495da8e6d1.jpg

Finished up the new additions to the office tonight.

Case shifter is a novak hard linkage unit. No brackets to the body, just the driveline. It is the smoothest 231/242 shifter money can buy

Case shifter is a novak hard linkage unit. No brackets to the body, just the driveline. It is the smoothest 231/242 shifter money can buy

I was thinking that or Advanced Adapters. Have you used the Boostworks one?

I was thinking that or Advanced Adapters. Have you used the Boostworks one?

Im running the boostwerks linkage in the daily driver mj. It's excellent as well and a fully functioning cheaper alternative for a dd. the shifts are crisp and smooth. the nice thing about the novak stuff is it mounts to the trans so driveline torque wont affect it at all.

Im running the boostwerks linkage in the daily driver mj. It's excellent as well and a fully functioning cheaper alternative for a dd. the shifts are crisp and smooth. the nice thing about the novak stuff is it mounts to the trans so driveline torque wont affect it at all.

The shifter itself is all Novak?

Whoops. Can't afford that either. lol

I run the Boostwerks linkage on the Green Jeep.

She's almost done. Pickup will be soon. Really pleased with how it's coming out.

picture.php

Soon to be a tire carrier rear.
picture.php

picture.php

Finally have the jeep back! I'll post more pics and details about the results of the work later, but the short version is that Tyler (and Doug) do quality work. I'm also really pleased so far with the OME suspension. The stroker hasn't been tuned yet but it's in progress, and seems to get a little better all the time. Can't wait to take it to Uwharrie to play.

Last edited:
picture.php

Finally have the jeep back! I'll post more pics and details about the results of the work later, but the short version is that Tyler (and Doug) do quality work. I'm also really pleased so far with the OME suspension. The stroker hasn't been tuned yet but it's in progress, and seems to get a little better all the time. Can't wait to take it to Uwharrie to play.

Looks good! Where are you located? Let me know what Saturday and I'll try and meet you at URE.

Sounds like a blast. I'll post a thread up if I can make it out anytime soon, invite anyone interested. Also, fixed my location to be Fayetteville.

Just had the initial shakedown run out at Uwharrie with UNCC_99XJ and many others, but my pics from the event are a little light. Spectating near Daniel:
picture.php

Mostly this thing performs amazingly. I decided, against my better judgment, to beat on the stroker a little despite it not having been tuned and without a working AFR gauge. We'll see if that bites me later, but the engine runs strong. With a 12-wt crank and a Centerforce clutch in it this thing is damn near impossible to stall, which is awesome in the rocks. That, and having 4.10 gears with 31's gives me a decently low First anyhow.

I am a little concerned with how hot this thing runs. The gauge never gets above 214 or so (thanks to the triple e-fans and Novak rad), but when the coolant temp creeps above 210 on the gauge the hood is hot to the touch. In weather hotter than 50 degrees, I think I'm going to be heat-soaking all manner of things to death. I'm not convinced the power steering hasn't been the first victim. The power steering all but dies in the rocks, and doesn't come back when I get the revs up. I'm going to bleed it later this week and see if it helps. On the heat issue itself, I'm still unsure what to do. Maybe it's running lean and therefore too hot? Hoping the tune job will straighten that out, but FlyinRyan is having firmware issues with SCT at the moment. More chasing to be done.

Other thoughts - the Novak T-case shifter is frippery but it doesn't jump out of gear, which was my major fault with the old one. The ebay Hurst shifter felt goofy at first, but is actually a lot of fun now that it's breaking in. Easier to bang gears on the hillside, and so not a complete waste of money.

Also, the Genright 30 gal tank is leaking. On Glenn's advice I shortened the vent tube, but haven't played with it enough to see if that's solved the problem. I am hoping the leak has been significant enough to affect the fuel mileage, because I've been calculating between 11 and 15 mpg. Eeesh. I know this thing's an aerodynamic disaster now but crap! I'm on 10.5 width tires! With a stick-shift and electric fans! Give me a break...

Finally, the Metalcloak adjustable short arms on OME springs have a really surprising amount of flex. I didn't get pics at Uwharrie so this is Fayetteville mall crawling of the finest kind, testing my bumpstop setup.
picture.php

Different view. The OME rear springs are the heavy-load variety, and they are no joke. I was trying to ride the bumpstops here and it never even reached. It's meant to be loaded with camping gear and wheeled. Lovely.
picture.php

And here you see why I'm staying on 31's for the foreseeable future. Even if I trim the early-model fenders (and eventually, I figure I will) the bumper 'wings' are going to rub. That's my fault, I told Tyler I wanted the fenders and the bumpers to tie up together. It looks great, but I won't be upsizing tires until I have the welding chops to shorten those wings up myself and seal the hole that's left.
picture.php

The back is just as close. But honestly, I'm not really disappointed. The setup looks great, it takes me anywhere I have any business going in a convoy of one, and 31's are comparatively cheap when I want more. Maybe later in life this thing will be a bigger trail-only toy, but I'm ok with sticking on 31's for a DD.

There will, of course, be more problems to chase in the near future. It's still a 240,000 mile body despite the refreshed drivetrain. So soon I'll be changing bearings, chasing a leaky pinion seal, finding a better way to secure my diff breathers, getting that damned AFR gauge to work, etc etc etc. A jeeper's work is never done.

Back