• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No name xj

Headed back to the badlands this weekend for customer appreciation days. Got a used ruffstuff diff cover installed. Working on getting the iro almost alloy kit on.

Found some play in my pinion and opened up the diff to find this.

I'm not sure what happened here. Gears looked great after break in period. Used Timken bearings and rechecked pinion nut torque.

Having a bit of a nightmare with new gears. First got sent wrong ratio. The next set took forever to ship. Then when I finally got them shipped I found that the outer pinion bearing didn't fit over the splines. Contacted distributor about it and he said it's normal to have to tap it on. Well I decided to make a setup outer bearing so it would be a lot easier to remove pinion. Spent prolly 12 hrs trying to set up gears. Ended up fid in the ring gear had a little too much runout (from the carrier). Ordered new carrier then figured out that my pinion had a crap ton of runout which i believe was due to the outer bearing being bad or something. And now I've spent days trying to talk to distributer and randy ring and pinion about how the outer pinion bearing has to be pressed on to get it past the splines before it even gets to the bearing surface. Really trying to make a wheeling trip next weekend but don't know if that's gonna happen now.

I think I've pretty much found out that somehow my housing is junk. Pinion depth was shallow with 0 shims behind race. Removed oil baffle from behind race and depth was pretty close. Not sure what or how that happened. Tubes are perfectly straight. So i threw the gears in another housing i had layung around and deoth is fine in that housing. Really don't want to mess with building another 30....

Really starting to wonder if the housing isn't tweaked. Ground off .025 from inner race to move pinion deeper just to see if I could get a good lattern. Backlash is around .007 but pattern is close to face. I got the coast side to transfer but couldn't get drive to.

Well im done with this housing. Can move pinion side to side with preload set. Only thing i can think of is the outer race isnt so much of a press fit anymore. Feels tight but somethings off. So ill be starting fresh with new housing for the next year. Planning on artec truss, c gussets, and lca mounts. I got my eyes on a 05+ super duty d60. Found a sterling rear for next to nothing as well. Figured id buy now and build over the next year or so.

Ended up going with ares truss. Should be easier to get a trackbar mounted to it easier. Im prolly gonna cut a hole for stock driver upper mount in truss (there's no hole for it). Dont need it but figured itd make it harder to sell later if theres no upper mount on that side. Ordering artec lca mounts and c gussets today. Way too cold to work on it for me without firing up the wood burner so only get a little time on the weekends to work on it.

Back