• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers - because i trust you guys

Good point on the differences in axle setup. One reason I've likely never broken a front shaft, aside from being old and slow and running a 2 Low, is that they are welded 5-760X joints in a non-disco setup. Running a locked D30 with big tires and 260s is a recipe for repair at an inopportune time. I watched a friend of ours do it 3-4 times while in Moab last year. You could almost predict when it was going to happen.

XJLaredo said:
Locker worked awsome, U-joint just couldn't keep up huh?:D
Basically. Since welding the caps on, though, it's been golden.

With any sort of locked diff you're going to put more stress on the axles, so it's not a question of lock-rite vs. another type of locker. Even if it had been a selectable, it would have been engaged when I broke the shaft.

-----Matt-----

little red cheroke said:
are you refering to a full detroit locker or just an ez locker. i just got the ez locker and it makes a lot of noise. and your not supposed to run over 32"s on them. i wish now i would have gotten an ausie just b/c of the no questions asked warrenty. should have done a little more research but i wanted to get it locked before a big trip. turns out i messed up the install and had to wait on new pins and didnt get to go wheelin ne ways. o well. hindsight is 20/20. live and learn.

I'm talking about full carrier detroits. If you can't afford that, or don't have the know how. Lunchbox lockers are great, and easy to install.

I know a guy running 39.5 IROK's on his D44 lock right. No problems at all.

WOW! thanks for all the responses guys. based on the past threads i've read, i realize that the 35 is junk. and knowing that i will eventually want to upgrade anyway...this is what i have decided on:
I will either go Aussie front and rear or Aussie front and stick with the LS rear. Hopefully this setup will last me a year or two untill i am ready. I'll put the left over $$ towards beafier axles, gears, and premium lockers for both ends when the time comes.

I guess my last question is if i go this route...how much benefit will i truelly get from the Aussie rear -vs- sticking with the LS?

If youre looking to spend $1k buy a 44 for the rear and 2 lockrights. Run that for a while and see what you break. Spending money on a D44 will be well worth it if you decide to go bigger you can be a little more confident.

T&A-XJ said:
If youre looking to spend $1k buy a 44 for the rear and 2 lockrights. Run that for a while and see what you break. Spending money on a D44 will be well worth it if you decide to go bigger you can be a little more confident.

IMHO the best option. ;)

Do the aussie in front and dont spend a penny on the D35... save up for the D44. If you really wanna help it out a LITTLE, you can take apart the trash lock and slip another friction disk into the pack, that will tighten it up a bit. Or change the diff oil and do NOT add the frictiobn modifier for the limited slip.

J

mojojojo said:
so so do you guys think i will see any major benefit if i go with the aussie front and stick with my LS rear, while i am hunting for the 44 rear?

Like you said in your PM if your going to upgrade then truelly go for the "gustO" and pick up a 9". Unless you find a stock d44 you going to have to modify it anyways. And I've seen 9" for sale for half of what XJ d44 go for. Just a thought.

Or If you had 2500 bucks you could by XJoes old axles.

i have a few connections in the automotive world, so i am thinking i can eventually stumble on a stock 44 for the rear. as for the front... from what i've read thats a whole lot-o-modificating. reminds me of things on my old scout...bad things, and many long nights laying on the cold concrete garage floor.

bigpimpinben said:
how much for a 44$$$$

I've been seeing XJ44's on craigslist for $300-$400. From what I've seen that seems to be the average price. You may find someone on the board to give you a good deal on one.

Back