• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers - because i trust you guys

I have been searching for a lunchbox for my 8.25 29 spline, but cant seem to find an Aussie for it. Do they not make one for the 8.25? If not, what is the recomended lunchbox locker for the 8.25?

KarlVP said:
Detroits rule.

Here are some reasons.

9. Excellent opportunity to demonstrate your superior mechanical understanding to your
mechanic while explaining to him that, no . . . your rear end is not broken

7. Lane changes no longer require all that annoying effort of actually having to turn
the steering wheel
I had a mechanic that swore I had a broken axle shaft in the rear and wouldn't let me take the truck back because it was unsafe. 20 minutes later of explaining what a detroit was and he still didn't believe me.
number 7 happened to me the other day, always exciting with a detroit and a 5spd.

Power5 said:
I have been searching for a lunchbox for my 8.25 29 spline, but cant seem to find an Aussie for it. Do they not make one for the 8.25? If not, what is the recomended lunchbox locker for the 8.25?

I'm only aware of them being available for the 27 spline axle. You might need to consider a full replacement or some other option.

IMHO, that leaves the lunchbox locker realm when you're talking about $400-$450 to acquire one.

I look at lunchbox to mean the time to install AND the cost to acquire. You can almost double cost and get into the Detroit Locker range at that point.

Yes, the no-slip is more expensive, but it is still a "lunchbox" ie, insert-able locker. Obviously I'd rather have a detroit as well, but whomever is considering it also has to factor in having someone reset the backlash on a full carrier Detroit if they aren't capable of doing it themselves.

J

John90XJ said:
IMHO, that leaves the lunchbox locker realm when you're talking about $400-$450 to acquire one.

I look at lunchbox to mean the time to install AND the cost to acquire. You can almost double cost and get into the Detroit Locker range at that point.

I realize that John....I guess I just think of lunchbox lockers being in that $250 price range.

KarlVP said:
Detroits rule.

Here are some reasons.

10. Occasional loud banging sound gives you an adrenaline rush that is better than coffee
9. Excellent opportunity to demonstrate your superior mechanical understanding to your
mechanic while explaining to him that, no . . . your rear end is not broken
8. Your significant other won't ask to borrow your Jeep, cuz they are afraid to drive it
after that parking lot incident
7. Lane changes no longer require all that annoying effort of actually having to turn
the steering wheel
6. Beating sports cars off the line on wet pavement
5. Having a 4X4 that actually turns more then two wheels
4. Single lane U-turns
3. Cool, brightly-colored "Warning: May Cause Injury or Death" stickers for your dash
2. No need to plow snow from your driveway . . . ever

And the Number One reason for having mechanical lockers in your Jeep:

1. Opens up a whole new and exciting hobby: Making fun of ARBs!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Thats awesome!

I had a lockrite in the back, and now have a detroit. The lockrite made more cool clicky noises in corners, but the detroit goes bang louder when it unloads. Either way your non-jeep driving coworkers will wonder what you just broke everytime you park.

-i

KarlVP said:
And the Number One reason for having mechanical lockers in your Jeep:

1. Opens up a whole new and exciting hobby: Making fun of ARBs!!!

Hahaha. Turn about is fair play and with a detroit you get to turn twice as much eh? 2 point, 3 point, 5 point.:spin1:

But seriously, I've had detroits, lockrites, powertrax no-slips, and arbs. I wont go back to autolockers ever. In the end, the only reason for me is because I didnt like crabwalking across snowy, scarey sidehills with my family on board. Sometimes being open is just better/safer.

cmoore said:
Hahaha. Turn about is fair play and with a detroit you get to turn twice as much eh? 2 point, 3 point, 5 point.:spin1:

But seriously, I've had detroits, lockrites, powertrax no-slips, and arbs. I wont go back to autolockers ever. In the end, the only reason for me is because I didnt like crabwalking across snowy, scarey sidehills with my family on board. Sometimes being open is just better/safer.

So far I've never had any real issues with my Detroit, but if for some reason I decided to go with a selectable I would run an OX instead of an ARB. A cable just strikes me as being more reliable then a complicated air system, plus the beefy diff cover would help keep the diff from flexing, which would have saved me a ring and pinion.

Back