• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jcr offroad, any good?

Decisions, decisions.

Can't decide between the Winch bumper and the Stage 3 front! Been staring at them both for days and can't make up my mind. My taxes will be done by this week and hoping to have money in hand real soon after. Really want some stage 3 sliders too.

Decisions, decisions.

Can't decide between the Winch bumper and the Stage 3 front! Been staring at them both for days and can't make up my mind. My taxes will be done by this week and hoping to have money in hand real soon after. Really want some stage 3 sliders too.

my buddy with a winch put it to me this way and it made sense.

more than likely you will seldom use your winch but when you do need it it will save your butt, you will be out in BFE somewhere and get stuck on something unexpected and it will be there to save you.

also with a bumper with just a front hitch setup for a hitch mounted winch, your approach angle is going to be way worse. also imagine that winch bouncing up and down in that hitch mount on a bumpy road. also its alot easier to steal a winch in a hitch mounted winch than it will be in a bumper mounted winch.

so with his input, im saving for the winch bumper.

my buddy with a winch put it to me this way and it made sense.

more than likely you will seldom use your winch but when you do need it it will save your butt, you will be out in BFE somewhere and get stuck on something unexpected and it will be there to save you.

also with a bumper with just a front hitch setup for a hitch mounted winch, your approach angle is going to be way worse. also imagine that winch bouncing up and down in that hitch mount on a bumpy road. also its alot easier to steal a winch in a hitch mounted winch than it will be in a bumper mounted winch.

so with his input, im saving for the winch bumper.
The point of a hitch mounted winch is that it isn't just hanging out in your bumper. You put it in when needed, otherwise you keep it inside, away from thieves and out of the elements.

The point of a hitch mounted winch is that it isn't just hanging out in your bumper. You put it in when needed, otherwise you keep it inside, away from thieves and out of the elements.

i agree... this is why i'm getting the stage four front and i can't decide on the rear... either stage three or four...

what is the largest size tire you can put on the rear tire carrier? (i hope 35's will fit....)

it still doesnt change the fact of your approach angle and instead of your winch being right next to your bumper its now pushed out at least another 6 inches.

if you want to keep it out of the elements, you just cover it with one of their covers.

by all means if he wants a stage 4 bumper. thats what he should get. i was just giving my info.

Hitch mounted winches are nice. If i were to do it again i would think of doing it more than i did. It keeps the winch out of the elements. You dont run it there on the trail and if you are in a situation where you are using it it really doesnt matter of the approach angle its going to make. Chances are you are hung up on something and not necessarily trying to go down or up something. Even if you are going up something a winch bumper is going to hang lower and out more than a receiver mounted winch.

it still doesnt change the fact of your approach angle and instead of your winch being right next to your bumper its now pushed out at least another 6 inches.

if you want to keep it out of the elements, you just cover it with one of their covers.

by all means if he wants a stage 4 bumper. thats what he should get. i was just giving my info.
Your approach angle only sucks if you're cruising around with the winch inserted. Your approach with the winch sitting in the cargo area will be much better than a winch bumper.

Your approach angle only sucks if you're cruising around with the winch inserted. Your approach with the winch sitting in the cargo area will be much better than a winch bumper.

The down side is that a winch on one of those mounts is pushing 100 lbs!

The down side is that a winch on one of those mounts is pushing 100 lbs!

im thinking if im stuck on a weird angle kinda tippy or just twisted up, do i really want to open the hatch fully knowing it will not close after i get the winch out. and chancing having whats in my cargo falling out on the trail. or who's going to connect my winch if im by myself trying to keep the jeep from tipping.

another problem with a hitch mounted winch is having to connect it/ disconnect it because you want it out of the elements.

say your on the trail and get stuck, are you really wanting to open the hatch. pull out the winch, pray you didnt forget your hitch pin at home. then put in the winch into the hitch, , pop the hood, connect it to the battery. put away your tools. get yourself unstuck. then decide should i leave it in knowing my approach angle is going to be worse now or take it out and have to go thru the steps all over again?

i may not be the first person to think of this but what i personally would do is use the quick disconnect's from welding leads and connect / disconnect my winch that way. another plus side to having your winch connected with welding connection's is you can use those same connections for jumper cables, you wont have to pop the hood, just disconnect your winch, tie them into your jumper cables and give the person in need a jump. its just a thought. i'll stick to a winch bumper thou. just seems more logical.

im thinking if im stuck on a weird angle kinda tippy or just twisted up,

Yeah thats when you ask for someone to strap you up. If I were doing lots of back country exploration alone I would definitely have a winch. I was going to do one on my old Jeep but I figure since i don't wheel by myself i don't really need one. It will be locked eventually anyways! But I will be getting a JCR stage 4 bumper just in case I want to do that!

Yeah thats when you ask for someone to strap you up. If I were doing lots of back country exploration alone I would definitely have a winch. I was going to do one on my old Jeep but I figure since i don't wheel by myself i don't really need one. It will be locked eventually anyways! But I will be getting a JCR stage 4 bumper just in case I want to do that!

im going to wait for my buddy to build his new winch bumper and buy his old winch bumper. he's who i go wheeling with so im not too worried about getting stuck. his new bumper should be done by mid april. i can wait on a winch, im saving to get locked/gears before i buy the winch... i'll just be happy to have a front recovery point =)

im thinking if im stuck on a weird angle kinda tippy or just twisted up, do i really want to open the hatch fully knowing it will not close after i get the winch out. and chancing having whats in my cargo falling out on the trail. or who's going to connect my winch if im by myself trying to keep the jeep from tipping.

another problem with a hitch mounted winch is having to connect it/ disconnect it because you want it out of the elements.

say your on the trail and get stuck, are you really wanting to open the hatch. pull out the winch, pray you didnt forget your hitch pin at home. then put in the winch into the hitch, , pop the hood, connect it to the battery. put away your tools. get yourself unstuck. then decide should i leave it in knowing my approach angle is going to be worse now or take it out and have to go thru the steps all over again?

i may not be the first person to think of this but what i personally would do is use the quick disconnect's from welding leads and connect / disconnect my winch that way. another plus side to having your winch connected with welding connection's is you can use those same connections for jumper cables, you wont have to pop the hood, just disconnect your winch, tie them into your jumper cables and give the person in need a jump. its just a thought. i'll stick to a winch bumper thou. just seems more logical.
I'm pretty sure that in a setup designed for a removable hitch mounted winch, the leads would be quick disconnect already. If disconnecting it is that much of a pain for you, then obviously a hitch mounted winch isn't for you. The main benefit to one is the fact that it's not out there all the time. If you want one essentially perma-mounted to the front, you'll want a winch bumper. I think a winch bumper is the more secure method since it's one less attachment point to worry bout. :) I like my JCR Pre-Runner winch bumper, ground clearance is good and my XRC-10 fit quite nicely.

im going to wait for my buddy to build his new winch bumper and buy his old winch bumper. he's who i go wheeling with so im not too worried about getting stuck. his new bumper should be done by mid april. i can wait on a winch, im saving to get locked/gears before i buy the winch... i'll just be happy to have a front recovery point =)
Smittybilt XRC-8 is $300 and XRC10 is $400. Winchdepot.com should still have free shipping.

Smittybilt XRC-8 is $300 and XRC10 is $400. Winchdepot.com should still have free shipping.

idk if i should buy the 300 dollar winch or a locker. i know if i go locker i almost have to buy gears to go with it. im running 3.55's currently and im not positive but theirs 2 different lockers for 3.72 and higher and 3.73 and lower

Depending on the axle. I think the 8.25's carrier break is really high, like 2 something. So if you're going from 3.55 to 4.56 you should be good. Most others I'm pretty sure are 3.73. I'd do locker first, it'll be more useful and get more use. Do the winch later if you want.

Depending on the axle. I think the 8.25's carrier break is really high, like 2 something. So if you're going from 3.55 to 4.56 you should be good. Most others I'm pretty sure are 3.73. I'd do locker first, it'll be more useful and get more use. Do the winch later if you want.

i do have the 8.25, but i plan on going from 3.55's to 4.10's i plan on sticking with my 33x10.50's if i can get a locker without having to swap gear's i'll do a locker first.

Back