• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR anti-roll mod idea

The problem w/ the JCR poly spacer is that when you tighten it down it gets squished into to cut out/slot in the TRE. This causes it wear out quickly especially on the trail. The drag link is made for high misalignment so the slot is even larger= more slop in the drag link than TRE. The solution? The J10/20 setup or a homemade shock washer/bushing on one or both TRE's AND the lower drag link end where it goes into the right side TRE. Mine is much tighter and still flexes on the trails like it should.

The problem w/ the JCR poly spacer is that when you tighten it down it gets squished into to cut out/slot in the TRE. This causes it wear out quickly especially on the trail. The drag link is made for high misalignment so the slot is even larger= more slop in the drag link than TRE. The solution? The J10/20 setup or a homemade shock washer/bushing on one or both TRE's AND the lower drag link end where it goes into the right side TRE. Mine is much tighter and still flexes on the trails like it should.

HDPE material works the same way, if anything its "too" hard and inflexible. Mine still acts wierd, its hard for me to say what exactly is the deal with it, i got the new spacer in and there is no dead spot but it still feels wierd to me. I may be completely wrong, but im not sure.

Mine just so happens to work fine, I am very pleased with it over the stock set up, and depending on the road or the cross winds is the only time I play pong on the highways which was much worse with the stock tie rod and drag link.

Any ways for those that are having problems I hope you get them fixed so that if mine ever dose I know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'll post back up in this cluster %$$. I did the shock washer and it's working like it did the first ride with tyhe new steering. I obviously can't comment on how long it will hold up but I am going out on a Blue/Black rated ride tomorrow and I'll post back when It's over.

Maybe it's USER error emr... And to the other guy that just switched to the ZJ stuff, did you replace your knuckles? Or did they fit in the same hole you reamed out... did you think it MIGHT not be reamed enough?

And emr, maybe too much?

THe rugged ridge setup I ran doesnt run the one ton tie rod ends, there was no reaming so knuckles are still the same. It is the exact same style of steering so the same issues apply.

Maybe it's USER error emr... And to the other guy that just switched to the ZJ stuff, did you replace your knuckles? Or did they fit in the same hole you reamed out... did you think it MIGHT not be reamed enough?

And emr, maybe too much?

No the knuckles were reamed by JCR Offroad themselves, then ordered by me and sent here, so i doubt thats the problem. I can find any noticeable play, i really cant figure it out. Im honestly thinking im imagining stuff, maybe it rides like this because of the tires or something? Im still looking into stuff. Everything is new, and i mean EVERYTHING in the front end, except the steering box and that is solid.

No the knuckles were reamed by JCR Offroad themselves, then ordered by me and sent here, so i doubt thats the problem. I can find any noticeable play, i really cant figure it out. Im honestly thinking im imagining stuff, maybe it rides like this because of the tires or something? Im still looking into stuff. Everything is new, and i mean EVERYTHING in the front end, except the steering box and that is solid.

He was talking to the guy that put on the Zj steering. Also your alignment might be messing with the way your steering is acting on the highway.

The shock washer+spacer actually lasted this time. It feels the same as it did before the trip which is way more than I can say for the spacer it self. Take it how you will, but I think it'll last a long long time. You can't put steering through any more than I just did.

just out of curiousity and for the sake of ease: what are the dimensions that one would need to make this spacer?

Thanks a bunch. I guess I kinda look like a retard now:spin1:

i may try to just put a bunch of washers in there, there is still a dead spot, its now coming through nice and clear. I might tighten it down a bit more and see what happens...

Did you do the spacer on the drag link too or just the right TRE? I found it helps. I also found that most people overlook UCA bushings because they are difficult to replace or use the wrong size bolts on them and actually cause problems, I've seen people use 3/8 bolts which are smaller than the correct metric size and do cause alot of play and death wobble issues.

Yeah but that death wobble, or at the leasy shimmy, not a steering dead spot. You do point out one thing that should be considered, and that is a spacer on the lower drag link. I just have one kind of ghetto-cut spacer on my passenger TRE, but i plan on making a new better more neatly cut one for the passenger AND drivers TRE, and i think ill make on for the drag link too. Ill be willing to bet that will make a lot of difference. Did you do it on both ends of the drag link? Any binding issues?

No I just did the right side TRE and the right side drag link. I'm thinking that you wouldn't need to do both ends any one rod, one should hold it in place if it's done right. And not I have no binding for this very reason. I can't emphasis enough that a metal washer is needed to keep the poly spacer from being pushed into the TRE slot and being destroyed by turning friction. I would also recommend making the drag link spacer outside diameter just smaller than the dust boot so that it will fit underneath it and cover it to keep dirt out. Throwing out the boot is bad idea and is large enough to make it work. I will say that I was lucky enough to get my hands on the J20 spacer/washers, thats what I am using and it works well.

Yeah but that death wobble, or at the leasy shimmy, not a steering dead spot. You do point out one thing that should be considered, and that is a spacer on the lower drag link. I just have one kind of ghetto-cut spacer on my passenger TRE, but i plan on making a new better more neatly cut one for the passenger AND drivers TRE, and i think ill make on for the drag link too. Ill be willing to bet that will make a lot of difference. Did you do it on both ends of the drag link? Any binding issues?

I have them on both driver ans pass side TREs.

i may try to just put a bunch of washers in there, there is still a dead spot, its now coming through nice and clear. I might tighten it down a bit more and see what happens...

Tighten what?TRE's should be fully seated regardless of the spacer!

Back