• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 Ton steering clearance issues

tantotrailers

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing Stinky Fab 1 Ton steering in my 2000 XJ sport and I am running into clearance issues with the track bar bolt and the differential cover. When turning right I'm running into the track bar bolt in the flat spot of the tie rod and when turning left I hit my Solid diff cover. The solid cover only sticks out 3" so it's not much more than stock and other covers on the market are at 3" also.

3.5" Rubicon Express lift
CavFab adjustable control arms

SFR is telling me to get an alignment because if my toe in or out is off it will bring the tierod closer, I'm skeptical because I used the steering that I took off as a guide and my tie rod is exactly the same length as the one I took off which was perfectly aligned.

Am I just going to have to settle for less steering with this kit or did I do something wrong along the way?

20240116_073236.jpg

20240116_073243.jpg

20240116_073252.jpg

20240116_073304.jpg

20240116_073339.jpg

20240116_073357.jpg

I think there is another flat spot that is already next to the Track bar bolt.

The only way I know to solve this is with offset TREs. But since you have the Y-link still I think you are out of luck on the passenger side. I don't know of anyone that makes an offset Y-link GM one ton TRE. For the driver side you could use PN: OS2234R. That could fix the diff cover issue. I also know that some people have custom bent their own Y-link to get clearance, but who knows what other issues that could cause

I think there is another flat spot that is already next to the Track bar bolt.

The only way I know to solve this is with offset TREs. But since you have the Y-link still I think you are out of luck on the passenger side. I don't know of anyone that makes an offset Y-link GM one ton TRE. For the driver side you could use PN: OS2234R. That could fix the diff cover issue. I also know that some people have custom bent their own Y-link to get clearance, but who knows what other issues that could cause

Ah, I think you're correct. Nice catch. I didn't see that first time I looked.

Also, isn't this an inverted T style setup rather than an inverted Y?

I would also be frustrated buying this kit just to find out it doesn't work that well as it comes. I've always known SFR to stand behind their products. I'd be surprised if they were selling a bunch of these kits that fit like this and just telling people "oh well!" An alignment isn't going to fix this clearance issue.

Yea, you're correct. Some vendors (RuffStuff and Barnes) are still calling the part a Y-Link TRE even if its technically for a T-Link.

Still no one makes an offset TRE that will work here (that I know of)

I've been in communication with SFR asking what I screwed up and basically they are telling me to get an alignment....which I know won't help much if at all because I took off CavFab steering and it was eye to eye same length at the tie rod.

Here is from SFR:
"First things first, make sure you get an alignment done. If the tie rod is toed too far in or out it will cause things to be closer to the diff and cause a larger interference issue. Normally the diff cover is not the problem, the track bar bolt is, hence the machined flat areas on that side. They don't make offset ends, and you wouldn't want them if they did, as the force of the drag link pushing and pulling would make the tie rod flop up and down, creating a big dead spot in the steering."

I saw in the instructions and FAQs they mention clearance issues but I didn't realize how significant that was going to be. I'm going to get the alignment as suggested but I have a feeling this may be something I have to live with until I go to Ruff Stuff...but I'm not sure of I'm SOL with the reamed out holes...

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.co...3wPMcuA0OT0FCTYzDkpjztG1mmVt7n2hoCcTsQAvD_BwE

Also, isn't this an inverted T style setup rather than an inverted Y?
I would also be frustrated buying this kit just to find out it doesn't work that well as it comes. I've always known SFR to stand behind their products. I'd be surprised if they were selling a bunch of these kits that fit like this and just telling people "oh well!" An alignment isn't going to fix this clearance issue.

Yes, the factory XJ is a inverted Y

Here is from SFR:
"First things first, make sure you get an alignment done. If the tie rod is toed too far in or out it will cause things to be closer to the diff and cause a larger interference issue. Normally the diff cover is not the problem, the track bar bolt is, hence the machined flat areas on that side. They don't make offset ends, and you wouldn't want them if they did, as the force of the drag link pushing and pulling would make the tie rod flop up and down, creating a big dead spot in the steering."

That's funny considering that is the major inherent problem with inverted T set-ups even if you use the "anti-roll" bushings!

Does anyone know of a low profile lower track bar bolt? I saw one post somewhere stating that Rusty’s sent a Torx head bolt which was lower profile and rounded for some additional clearance with their kit but I cannot find it anywhere.

I’m pretty sure my Solid cover sticks out at least 0.5” if not farther than a stock cover, so I found some options for replacement there but that doesn’t help me much with right turns, if I can drop that bolt a little I can improve that some. I saw a few posts about people grinding down the hex bolt but I would rather not do that if I can find an alternative.

Mine cleared the stock diff cover no problem and barely cleared the Track bar bolt on the flat spot. I got an alignment and I saw better clearance all around, except I forget to tell the alignment shop to orientate the flat spot for the bolt. It rubbed a little bit until it self clearance a new flat spot on the tie rod, 7075 doesnt care so not worried about strength.
I would get an alignment whether you think you need it or not.

Back