• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension advice

Vitzaa

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys!

I recently replaced my bent tie rod with cavfabs solid one and got their drag link as my previous one was pretty beat up.

The cavfab drag link has a bend to it where as my previous one was straight. The bend threw the angles off a bit and made the angle on the pitman arm a little extreme. I'm worried of damage or failure in the future. I can get a drop pitman arm but then the drag link and track bar angles will be thrown off more..

How things currently are
h5AJfNQ2UQ2LSRah6

Dropped pitman arm
JtQXQBzeGKpgZZHp8

Anyone have any advice on the best way to remedy things? Throw the old drag link on?
I can try to raise the track bar axle side mount an inch but would have to grind down the nut half way for it to work as theres little room inside the mount, not sure if that makes sense...

Stock pitman arm with a lowered frame side trackbar mount.

Then you would raise the axle side! How much lift? Is this a Grand Cherokee as I see rear coils?

Wow, the heim angle at the pitman arm appears to be nearly maxed out at static height, so your concern about the longevity of this component is valid.

I'm not a fan of drop pitman arms, but with the amount of lift you are running it might be warranted. I don't see a drop pitman arm overcoming the design flaw of the CavFab drag link, as the bend on the passenger side of the DL is too extreme, creating a steeper operating angle for the heim at the pitman arm. Their whole steering setup is less than ideal.

Wow, the heim angle at the pitman arm appears to be nearly maxed out at static height, so your concern about the longevity of this component is valid.

I'm not a fan of drop pitman arms, but with the amount of lift you are running it might be warranted. I don't see a drop pitman arm overcoming the design flaw of the CavFab drag link, as the bend on the passenger side of the DL is too extreme, creating a steeper operating angle for the heim at the pitman arm. Their whole steering setup is less than ideal.

Ya, i wish I measured things before ordering the drag link. Doh. My previous one was almost as bad and probably could have benefitted from a drop pitman arm

8" of lift is the real issue so I see 2 ways out! Either trim your fenders like it should be or go full hydraulic steering!!!

8" of lift is the real issue so I see 2 ways out! Either trim your fenders like it should be or go full hydraulic steering!!!

There's gotta be another way!! Lol

Fenders are trimmed already, that's not the issue... Issue is that pitman arm/drag link angle at the bolt. Dropping the pitman arm fixes it but throws the trackbar/drag link more out of parallel

Full hydro isn't an option as it's a DD.

Take a pic of your trim job and it not bump stopped at all!

About the only other options would be a high steer knuckle from Tereflex or WJ knuckles.

WJ knuckles would be a significant upgrade, including larger dual piston calipers for improved braking and the ability to run a high steer setup.

For reference, my rig is sitting at 5.5"-ish of lift (295/75/16 tires) and I still run the stock XJ pitman arm, but drilled and welded in tapered inserts to the WJ knuckle to allow for high steer and to run Teraflex offset TRE's/custom DOM steering linkage to clear the diff cover. Trackbar is raised at the axle end to achieve proper operating plane in relation to the draglink.

Front%20end%20refresh%20complete_zpsx9cet7ev.jpg

XJ Buildup III thread https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=18

'Jeeper's set-up is the ultimate! I would definately avoid heims since you said the Jeep is to be kept streetable.

WJ knuckles would be a significant upgrade, including larger dual piston calipers for improved braking and the ability to run a high steer setup.

For reference, my rig is sitting at 5.5"-ish of lift (295/75/16 tires) and I still run the stock XJ pitman arm, but drilled and welded in tapered inserts to the WJ knuckle to allow for high steer and to run Teraflex offset TRE's/custom DOM steering linkage to clear the diff cover. Trackbar is raised at the axle end to achieve proper operating plane in relation to the draglink.

Front%20end%20refresh%20complete_zpsx9cet7ev.jpg

XJ Buildup III thread https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=18

Awesome build and set up man!

I went back to my old drag link and the pitman arm angle got better, went a little high on the knuckle joint but nothing extreme. I think raising my track bar and doing the high steer is the next step in the future. Thanks for the write up and advice!

If you go with the WJ knuckles you'll be super impressed with the brakes!!!

Lower it and use sledge hammer to adjust fenders for clearance.
This is mine with 4"ish lift reamed wj knuckles

Stock xj pitman arm.
df03b37d1e44e92afff4af9090ec2de5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back