• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR anti-roll mod idea

Post up pics showing the TRE rolling and maybe someone might actually be able to help. That way we can see what you're doing.

I don't understand how you have not figured this out yet.

x10000000000000000000000

If your TREs with the HDPE are not rolling, then your dead spot is coming from somewhere else and not the steering set up!!!

If your TREs are rolling........then show me (pic/video) why the HDPE spacer is not working. Maybe you need a thicker spacer b/c it shouldn't be worn out, OR maybe JCR mistakenly over reamed your steering knuckles (It is possible that JCR could have made a mistake, I mean they are only human). If your cotter pin is past where it should be locking in the castle nut, then your knuckles ARE over reamed.

ALSO.....If you are needing to use your hole upper body weight or your legs or a breaker bar or a long wrench to tighten the TRE........................

........................THEN YOU ARE OVER TIGHTENING AND PROBABLY DESTROYING YOUR SPACER

(but I highly doubt you can destroy the HDPE)

Last edited:
ALSO.....If you are needing to use your hole upper body weight or your legs or a breaker bar or a long wrench to tighten the TRE........................

........................THEN YOU ARE OVER TIGHTENING AND PROBABLY DESTROYING YOUR SPACER

(but I highly doubt you can destroy the HDPE)

Thats not possible,once the tre seats its not going to go any futher,regardless of torque!

i got all my spacers ready to go in, but i cant get my freaking drag link off to put the spacers on it (already got one on tie rod, now im gonna put one on my drag).

In your other thread weren't you getting chastised for having the castle nut so far down that the cotter pin was a quarter inch above the top of the nut? Mentioned that you laid a lot of force on it to get it tight? If that is the case then something is wrong either an over reamed arm or you jacked the rod end up.

that was the tie rod not the drag link though, but yea i may have over tightened it, that doesnt mean that it damaged it though seeing that once its seated it wont go any further, as RCPPhx said...

that was the tie rod not the drag link though, but yea i may have over tightened it, that doesnt mean that it damaged it though seeing that once its seated it wont go any further, as RCPPhx said...
And by not going any further, it in turn will either stretch the metal in the knuckle, or tweak the TRE... If you're still turning the nut, something has to give.

Yeah we need to get under there, steering feels smooth but htere is still a dead spot, were going to check it soon here in a bit. Its not bad on the road but on the highway it gets old. But its got spacers on the passenger ends of the drag and tie rod as of now.

^^
Can you post some pictures. I would like to try out the spacer Idea but I am un sure how to do it. Looks like IO just need to remove my boods and instrall a delrin or Nylon spacer is that it?

Not sure, I will say this, it was not all of my problem, because the spacers that I installed DID help. I put one on the tie rod and one on the drag link, but the problem is still there, if feels like its been masked a bit, if that makes any sense. Its a lot harder to detect, but when Im going in for a turn and suddenly have to turn the wheel it is pretty scary, someone not used to it would surely cross into the other lane. As for the pitman arm I don't quite get it, I have heard it doesn't need to be fully seated by a few people on here (who ironically wont post that in a public thread), and I know my friend's JT doesn't have it fully seated. I am unable to tighten it any further, I fear I might strip the steering shaft like swbooking did. I DO have the washer in there, though I'm thinking some sort of bigger washer might help me out.

just took a look at that guys thread about stiffer coils vs. sway bar on a 44, and his isnt seated all the way either. just thought id mention it since i literally saw it right after i posted that.

Look at the angle of that guy's coils too! Unmodified coil buckets?!?!

Also if the pitman is seated on any splines at all (even if not 100% of the splines) I don't think it would be causing a dead spot in the steering...

Also if the pitman is seated on any splines at all (even if not 100% of the splines) I don't think it would be causing a dead spot in the steering...

Yeah thats EXACTLY what I'm saying, yet half the people out there just start flaming and saying that it needs to be on ALL of the splines. I really wish people would choose a logical stance on something, not the one that enables them to bitch the most.

Your kidding right?

If the pitman arm is not seated fully or even seated well on the splines it WILL cause steering issues. Trust me I just finished fixing this problem about 4 months ago.

When the pitman arm is loose and you turn the wheel it kinks that arm before actually turning it. Giving you the dead spot.

Quarter inch of spline showing is normal. If you feel that it's not seated properly obviously you've noticed play or wobble in the pitman arm. Tighten it up as tight as you can. I don't remember the spec.

Blaine, that washer idea of yours is still holding up, thanks.

Ha, well that's good, that idea just popped into my head. I used Rusty's steering and it rolls but it doesn't really bother me so I'm not using anything, just tossed that idea out there to you because it seemed like it would work well in my mind.

Back