• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents VS. Hood spacers? What are you running?

I just spaced my hood up 1/2 an inch today. I haven't really driven it much yet, but judging by the amount of hot air that is coming out the gap while it's sitting still, I imagine it should help lower underhood temps considerably. I'll report back after driving it a week or so. Hopefully I'll have time next weekend to get my taurus fan installed.

Next time I'm at the PnP, I'll try to find some lebaron vents.

bigo said:
I am running the LeBaron hood vents, 3 row radiator and a 180 thermostat.
It runs about 185 in 90 deg weather. It will go up to about 200 seting at a stop light, but cools right back off when I start moving again. If I was going to put fans in the hood, I would go to Radio Shack and get 4 of the pam fans.
they only draw about 300 milliwatts each and move quite abit of air.
O
Oh yea...your temp never gets below 185...of course not...it can't with that 185 thermostat...a 3 row radiator...NICE but not CHEAP! My hood ventalation system cost me nothing but labor...got the spacer material out of the scrap pile! :laugh:

Run the dang factory 195 thermostat!! Do not run with no thermostat! How many times does this have to be said?? !!!1!!!1

my t stats have atendency to stop working after about...ohhh id say a month. now i run open t stat and its much better but istill get hot in the summer =/

I'm running a hotjet coated banks header and Pontiac GTP vents. I'll get a 3 row rad when its time to replace my current one, and I'll definitely look into the 3 electric fan retro. BTW, here's a pic of my vents.

GTP-01.jpg

i have a 99 sport.
95* out side it was running 210 on the highway.
sitting still the e fan would come on, so i insatled 2 electric fans on the front of the rad.i use them when im wheeling, so not so much street use.

i added a bottle of water wetter, and now i cant get it over 200 no matter what im doing.

Stock cooling system with new everything and it hardly ever hits 210. Mostly only when i am beating on it. Normal in town driving it stays about 195. Though i am replacing the crappy clutch fan/electric fan combo for dual aftermarket electrics.

well to add fuel to the debate, i habe noticed a big pick up and a small mpg better with the electrics, i have run two 10" fans and am now using three 9" fans. with a 180 degree thermostat i normally run 195-210. at highway speed i run just a shade hotter(due to winch blocking airflow) at a stop the fans will actully pull it down under 195. and the heat rising is kinda cool, but it has never been so bad to make seeing difficult. also the water issue is a non issue, if your stuff cant stand a little water you should really rethink your hobby choices

I know this thread is older than dirt. ( I actually used the search feature BTW) I've been looking all over for this material to do my vents and I'm not sure of the match. Others have asked where you got it as well. I understand it's probably perforated metal but what are the hole dimensions and where did you find the material to make them? I agree this is the nicest looking vent set up I've seen to date. I love it because it's original. I'd love to get some info on them. Thanks.

I dont think half the people in this thread get it.

Its not to lower engine or coolant temps. it to reduce underhood temps.

Which
extends rubber life
extends plastic life
engine doesnt pull in as hot air=performance increase(prob insignificant)
prevents heat soak.

Hood vents do in fact lower engine temps by about 5-8*. I immediately noticed the e-fan turns on less often, and runs for shorter periods of time.

Bought my 91 and it has hood vents in it hate the look but they function well... I also wired up an electric fan to a switch in the cab........Hasta

if you do not have a torque snorting +4.5L under the hood and youre running on the hot side something is either broken or worn. the stock system is just find and dandy.

instead of putting hoodvents and spacers find and fix the weak link. vents and spacers are only band-aids for the lurking cooling gremlins

WRONG

You and it looks like many others are completely missing the point of spacers or hoodvents. It's to keep underhood temps down, NOT water temps, but it did however lower my water temps slightly. It helps to eliminate hot spots and heat soaked injectors that these cars are so prone to having with them being right above the headers.

Before i put spacers on my xj hood i couln't even touch my hood as it would get soo flippen :flame:. After i put the spacers on i could lay butt naked on my hood all day long after being in 4low and low speeds for hours on end.

I just used some shock sleves i had lying around. I think their all about 1.5" tall. I did have to adjust my hood latches slightly so it would close.
270652_1779434737058_1575105336_31388747_2877459_n.jpg

edit; damn just realized how old this thread was and that my statement had already been re-iterated...carry on

Last edited:
Back