• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents VS. hinge spacers

where did you get this material you speak of? i like this idea, and i have some big white magnets for covering ac vents in my house i am wondering if that would work (my jeep is white). i would be hole sawing it, but i bet if i taped it off it while drilling the holes and did a little touch up it would turn out okay. i am just betting the stuff for signs would hold up better to the elements

100_4238.jpg

Not a great picture, and I don't have one with the magnetic cover on it but you can get the picture.

I bought several square feet at a sign shop- I would think anyone who does vehicle graphics/signage would have it in stock. It's probably the same material as your vent covers, just larger stock.

Google "magnetic sheet" if you don't have a sign shop handy.

Last edited:
thats cool, do you guys have good luck with it at freeway speeds and whatnot (not flying off)?

also did it really help cooling tremendously?

my xj does fine temp wise most of the year and i would just cover em up, but in utah it seems to spend a lot of time in the 90s in july and august. yesterday it was like 95 and it got to about 230 on my ride home... that is not crazy but i don't like it. in moab it is over 100 right now and i would be screwed even with my fan switch, i was actually thinking about going down there but realized it would fry my jeep (and myself)

I went to summit and got one of their cowel induction scoops. was like 65 bucks shipped. My friend liked it so much he got one too lol. It has worked really well and my plans are for it include a small electric fan mounted under it. But i've got more important things to work on than that.

l_44d5bcd6514740b9bca0e9ec9a6c7d18.jpg

sorry to reiterate these questions again, but i just wanted to know before i take on the project of cutting holes in my hood haha

do you guys have good luck with the magnetic covers at freeway speeds and whatnot (not flying off)?

thanks again

sorry to reiterate these questions again, but i just wanted to know before i take on the project of cutting holes in my hood haha

do you guys have good luck with the magnetic covers at freeway speeds and whatnot (not flying off)?

thanks again

Hallo. If you are talking about "good luck" well that's maybe the right answer
Hood vents in the back of the hood will work perfectly.(also a lift of the hood)
An extra fan is not needed. The hot air will go out byitself, not only on the highway , but also with idle. You can burn your hands above the vents on a hot day. The louvres have to point to the back imo. There will be an airflow from the underfront of the engine bay through the engine to the vents.
Just do it. It's good for the rubber and electric and computer. :laugh3:

gotcha, i am specifically interested in just the round hole idea. just wanted to make sure it is worthwhile and that the magnets will stick to it (its a daily driver) before i take my hole saw to an exceptionally beautiful hood haha.

i had no problem cutting up my old 4 cyl beater (see below) but my country is a lot nicer :bawl:

cC

edit: wow shutterfly sucks for hosting, look at that lil image

The magnets in question are used on vehicles, so there should be no problem with them sticking. When not in use store them on a flat surface.

You should get one with a blower printed on it.

haha good point, way to be logical about their purpose

i was thinking of something super "cool" like that or a diamond plate sticker or maybe have it look like you are looking into the engine and its a small block or something... maybe even flames coming out of it haha or a dragon. the possibilities are endless and i guarantee my friends will get sharpies and draw on them

For you guys using a small fan, Have you ever considered using a bilge blower like boats have to pull fumes from the engine compartment?

They move tons of air and you could mount the outlet hose just about anywhere.

Honestly, if you are having cooling issues that are this bad you need to look into fixing/upgrading your system. My stroker could Idle all day in 100deg heat once I get the system flushed out and a nice radiator up front. I added my hood vents for looks more than anything else.

Fans can be nice, but if you feel that you need them to help cool the rig down you need to look into the system.

Back