• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents -Pro's and Con's

With a new radiator the temp was about 87-95. After a year, more or less, the temp was about 106C. One day reached the 125C with the AC on. Remove the radiator and clean all the old mud sticked to it.
Now is again in the 87-95C band.

Just my .02.

1/2 inch blocks under then hinges to raise the rear of the hood and LeBaron vents with no drip pans. Engine stays at 210 now. No water problems, no TPS problems, no drip pan. Been running them since 2007 and no issues. I like it. Lets the T-Stat to do its job. Much cooler under the hood.

John

Hood blocks look like ass, and as far as hood vents go, many people do them to make up for shitty running engines or cooling systems. My xj ran hot till i had a motor built for it, hood vents only help a little bit, they arent your solution. They are often cheaper than actually fixing problems though.

You think too much. You went to tds and said yourself it was very mild out, and you didnt overheat, GREAT. Skip to step 10, which is whatever you want to go do with your xj. Nobody is trying to force you to install vents, and it doesnt sound like you need them. End of story.

I added I think Z34 vents? They have a drippan. I have two XJ's this one I use on road more and for expo / camping trips. I think they actually do help!!
My XJ I use for crawls is a 2.5L and heat does not really seem to be as much an issue ??? I'm in TX so it does get HOT!

Hood vents help and I looked at lot of them but I went a different direction.
IMG_00000020_zps59zxtkv9.jpg

I used Nissan/Datsun 280zx vents on mine. No big effect on engine cooling, but a massive reduction in underhood temps. I did kill a tps when I first Installed them but now I just use some aluminum foil over the TPS - works mint.

bf1e819c2c2e86f57bef083e2277598f.jpg

What are yall using to cut the hood? I need more tools

I put on newer lebaron style vents to help cooling and it worked the small amount it should be expected to help. Its by no means a big problem solver. With my 5.3L under the hood there is not much space for air movement, I was running a little warm even with a new big aluminum radiator, new water pump, new thermostat, etc. so I needed something just a little bit more to put me over the top and I didnt think going to a huge 3 row 1" tube radiator was the answer I needed. The addition of hood vents helped reduce the underhood pressure it seems, which reduced temps across the board, from crawling to freeway speed.

What are yall using to cut the hood? I need more tools

i used an angle grinder. Just use painters/masking tape over the cut lines to keep from damaging the paint

It even came from AZ!

Hood vents are great. Never had a heat issue crawling around in moab. Used some dialectic grease between all electrical connections up there, and never had problem in rain, snow, car wash, etc. No silly drip pan necessary.

I shimmed the back of the hood and longer bolts.

It doesn't affect coolant temperature (as we have two fans, a radiator and a thermostat that do that) but it does seem to affect the amount of time that the fans need to run.

I was sitting in a traffic jam on a sunny 95 degree day and the Cherokee didn't run over 220 with the AC on. I could stick my arm out the drivers window and feel the heat coming off of the back of the hood - there's quite a bit!

i love watching the heat come out of the vents sitting at a traffic light on the highway exit. It's crazy.

It was a company called Refexicon, I believe they are from Chandler,AZ. It is the only steel cowl hood I could find.

Last edited:
Back