• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood hinge spacers

Boxil

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching the forums for this. I've seen info on them somewhere but can't remember where. Does anyone have any info about them?

What i read was that if you take a 1/4" or 3/8" spacer or about that size and remove the hinge bolts holding the hood to the hinges and place the spacer in there. then the back edge of the hood is lifted up and lets more air flow out of the engine bay. just curious if any of you have any luck with this and what did you use?

thanks

2001 cherokee sport
4.0 6cyl
auto, 4x4, mostly stock.

Best way to search is type what you are looking for in Google, then type site:naxja.org after and it'll show everything on this forum.
Aside from that, as far as I've read. It works. Not as nice looking as hood vents but gets the job done. Just be warned that doing so, you'll more than likely get the smell of engine bay in your jeep when you turn on the air lol

I would do vents over spacers. I'm considering vents. You really just need the one over the manifold. But what about water getting in?

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

I would do vents over spacers. I'm considering vents. You really just need the one over the manifold. But what about water getting in?

Vents help but the throttle body needs a shield to keep water off the IAC and TPS, both can be destroyed by rain. The rest of the engine doesn't seem to be effected by rain.
Vents on both sides of the hood in visually more appealing than a single one and is functional. Air exiting the cooling fan, flow through the passenger side vent, at least at low speeds. At high speeds there is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield, which shut down the effectiveness of vents or raise hood hinges. The benefit of either is realized at low speeds.

Last edited:
I found some 3/8" bearing spacers that are super tough and perfect sized for the bolts to fit through. used those and the gap is only about 1/3". with that small of a space i can already see decent drop in temp, instead of bouncing at the 210 mark its just below it all the time. and the gap isn't as noticeable as if i used, 3/4 or 1" stock.

Back