• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents -Pro's and Con's

X2. The cabin air intake is in the cowl are. I have wondered if fumes are an issue.

Shouldn't all the fumes be going out the exhaust pipe?

For my current project I am going with 81-83 Datsun 280ZX vents I found on ebay for cheap:
9b0f611c-eaea-4cfd-aa1b-8112938c1a28_zps0nogbjou.jpg

Cut the scoop off the driver side:
d20e5530-1c63-43ab-85ff-7010f15bec2d_zpso5pl2ywq.jpg

Painted and compared to Labaron vents:
59107357-98ea-4994-be8e-e044886ff02d_zpsgxok7svh.jpg

There are other fumes present in the engine bay besides exhaust. This question is more specifically for cowl hood people. I have hood vents in one rig already and dont have any problems with fumes. Just wondering if that would be an issue if i decide to build/buy a cowl hood on the other rig.

There are other fumes present in the engine bay besides exhaust. This question is more specifically for cowl hood people. I have hood vents in one rig already and dont have any problems with fumes. Just wondering if that would be an issue if i decide to build/buy a cowl hood on the other rig.

With the cowl hood, if there were to be any fumes they would be vented to the out side and go up over the windshield. I haven't experienced any fumes coming into the cab at all. Go ahead and build one, even though it took a lot of time it was a fun build for me.

I wanted vents that I'd have the option to close.I found trailer vents, made of aluminum. I made patterns, cut the holes, reinforced the underside with 1/2" angle and installed the vents after a few coats of paint. When I wheel I pop them open and hit the manual fan switch I installed keeping the temps in check. In a heavy rain I just shut them keeping things dry. They aren't pretty but they are very functional.

Here are a couple pics of my American Rock Rods hood vents. They look fantastic but work "okay"... the temp while driving keeps really cool (around 190* ish...) as opposed to the normal 200*. At a stop light, the temp still creeps up to 210-215* ish, but it takes a little longer for it to get there. Living in Vegas, we'll see how they handle the summer temps. I was hoping they'd help a little with heat soak... but no so much.

picture.php

picture.php

Back