• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultimate XJ Cooling System

Pretty pathetic how he got flamed pretty hxc. Looks like a lot of jerks on here tbh. Really disappointed on how people responded on here, seeing as how I have got tons of help with hardly any flaming.

Pretty pathetic how he got flamed pretty hxc. Looks like a lot of jerks on here tbh. Really disappointed on how people responded on here, seeing as how I have got tons of help with hardly any flaming.
People responded the way he did. You have got tons of help with very little flaming because you have been polite, never given people an attitude, etc :thumbup:

Here is something else I don't quite get. The overheating only happens when it goes down to an idle after a hard run, such as freeway, and it cools just fine on the freeway. That sounds like a great application for the ZJ fan clutch. You state that the ZJ clutch would eat too much gas on the freeway, but since it is thermostatically controlled it shouldn't be engaged on the freeway and thus shouldn't be affecting mileage. Maybe I'm missing something there. You also didn't address the additional power usage and how the extra load on the alternator would affect mileage. Those fans are pulling 50 amps and that puts a big load on the alternator which eats power and affects mileage. The big question is what would take more power - the ZJ fan clutch or a 50 amp load on your alternator?

Don't get me wrong - I think your setup has merit, I just think you are making some incorrect assumptions on a few things, and maybe forgetting to dot some I's and cross some T's.

Here is something else I don't quite get. The overheating only happens when it goes down to an idle after a hard run, such as freeway, and it cools just fine on the freeway.

Overheating is clearly within factory specs though.
shhh he gets paid to know this.

Cold read his posts and you'll see why this got this way.
System had potential OP does not.

hothothot01.jpg

That photo was taken in the Mojave desert on a trail near the Rodman Mountains, 07/03/2005. The XJ didn't overheat on that trip despite slogging through deep sand and over rocks at low speeds for several hours in the middle of the day. Cooling system was entirely stock.

Granted, I wasn't switching the engine off when stopped in order to avoid heat soak (doesn't matter what vehicle you're in when it's that hot out; turn it off and you're parked for at least an hour with the hood up while things cool off enough to be able to restart), and there is certainly room for improvement in the system. But I would certainly not call it inadequate from the factory.

Late edit: I will admit to having one cooling mishap in the desert that almost resulted in an overheat. The hose running from the radiator cap to the overflow bottle once came adrift from its mountings and got sucked into the main fan, which sliced it into bits and sent coolant all over the place. I jammed a spare bolt into the severed end, topped off the radiator most of the way with bottled water, and drove it that way the rest of the weekend in 100degF temperatures. Apart from having to top it off occasionally, it held up fine until I could get a replacement hose on Monday - but I'd class that as a problem with the clips that were meant to hold the hose in place weakening over time and eventually breaking, not the cooling system itself.

Last edited:

People responded the way he did. You have got tons of help with very little flaming because you have been polite, never given people an attitude, etc :thumbup:

Exactly. I have asked many a stupid question and really haven't been flamed because i'm not a complete douche to people.......most of the time! :D

I sure hope it does not get to 122 here in Texas....with the stupid humidity we have.. I don't think my XJ would last in that heat here in Texas even with the best cooling haha

Late edit: I will admit to having one cooling mishap in the desert that almost resulted in an overheat. The hose running from the radiator cap to the overflow bottle once came adrift from its mountings and got sucked into the main fan, which sliced it into bits and sent coolant all over the place. I jammed a spare bolt into the severed end, topped off the radiator most of the way with bottled water, and drove it that way the rest of the weekend in 100degF temperatures. Apart from having to top it off occasionally, it held up fine until I could get a replacement hose on Monday - but I'd class that as a problem with the clips that were meant to hold the hose in place weakening over time and eventually breaking, not the cooling system itself.

my first engine over heated all the time, in sw VA. i heard it hissing there one time, hose clamped it, never had a problem with heating again... hey texans, not everything is more in texas! im from pittsburguh and ive seen 110 at 80% there...

Although the OP have a pretty good write up, there is nothing special about the fans that he uses. I have been using that same set-up for many years (2004). http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25336&highlight=oem+electric+fan Had I known about the Taurus fan at that time, I would have gone that route instead;...a less expensive fan, two speed and a higher CFM. AMP load is about the same. It have little or no draw on the alternator at highway speeds. The fan do not come on at speeds of 40 MPH and above.
The negatives I have with this setup verses the OEM mechanical fan are:
(1) the OEM 90 AMP alternator do not have enough output to run all the electrical stuff at idle or slow in the city speeds.
(2) With out the mechanical fan running all the time, the AW4 heat up more than it would have with the mechanical fan thus requireing an additional oil cooler.

To the OP, Why do you have such a big gap between the radiator cross member and the fan shroud? I did not have to cut the fans only the radiator.

I manage one of the most hardcore Jeep/Rock shops in TX.

That statement is funny!

If your a Fab shop.. Why in the world did you spend so much on JCR stuff?

What is YOUR definition of Fab anyway?

Their definition of fab is all the bolt-on bs you can find, they can bolt it on for you. I think Rock-n-Roll offroad might be more hardcore. At least they BUILT their shop buggy, as XXXXed up as it is, its not a bolt together box kit.

Their definition of fab is all the bolt-on bs you can find, they can bolt it on for you. I think Rock-n-Roll offroad might be more hardcore. At least they BUILT their shop buggy, as XXXXed up as it is, its not a bolt together box kit.

There's nothing wrong with bolt ons! :laugh3: I put mine on my own rig with help from friends though but I don't own a" fab shop" :dunno:

There's nothing wrong with bolt ons! :laugh3: I put mine on my own rig with help from friends though but I don't own a" fab shop" :dunno:
Right but I think the point being made is that bolt on isn't fabbing. If you run a fab shop, you should be doing more than just bolt on.

Right but I think the point being made is that bolt on isn't fabbing. If you run a fab shop, you should be doing more than just bolt on.

I know, this thread is derailed anyways! :D

I think most that have been on here long enough have found that some "La Barron" hood vents and paint will fix almost all over heating by members that get too upset over a on-line message board.

Photo's never lie:
Radatarded.jpg

Thanks for the chance.

Maybe?

I get the impression that whatever posts this guy put up were probably aimed towards pumping up his business and ego.
Like, if he successfully threw drop brackets, shackle relocation boxes & got the rig level it would be "The Ultimate XJ Lift. Ever!" or if ZJ brakes got involved he'd call it "The Omega 8.25!!!"
Also, yeah, I've only welded on my Jeep one time. I'm not what you'd call "a fabber guy" or "fabricationist". So I understand getting excited about off the shelf parts hacked at with a razor or a dremel until they fit and do something they were supposed to do but in a different place. But, y'know, I don't get all excited about being "a professional".
Anyway... if the thread wasn't dead before I hope my rambling has done it.

That statement is funny!

R&R Offroad? I heard they went out of business! :gag:

Back