• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Seats?

I have '96 ZJ limited front leather seats that are 100% functional (power, heated, lumbar), AND '98 ZJ rear leather seats in my XJ

TazXJ said:
I have '96 ZJ limited front leather seats that are 100% functional (power, heated, lumbar), AND '98 ZJ rear leather seats in my XJ
yes but you did not retain the factory mounts

TazXJ said:
XJ factory front seat bases/tracks?
yep didnt you use the ZJ bases/tracks, then yours woudnt be bolt in

Last edited:
So does anyone have any pics or a writeup of how to get the XJ tracks attached to the bottom of the zj seats. When i compared my XJ and ZJ seats side by side i didn't see any obvious way to get the two swapped. Please forgive my ignorance if its a simple procedure. I have power 97 ZJ orvis seats and standard 2000 xj manual seats. I thought i was told in the past i would require XJ power leather base rails.

Do the ZJ seats have power recline, if so they wont work, they need to have the manual recline

krelja said:
I didn't see how the power bases would bolt to the XJ bases and still have all the power options work. I just chopped the brackets off of the WJ seats and made some that would lower the seat a little and let the seats go back farther. The back took a little work but they are in and work great here are some pics I have no real write-up or anything and I can snap some pics if you want more

click to enlarge

After reading all 6 pages I still don't know if I fully understand if the swap will work.

I want the above leather seats, both front and rear. I have a 96 4 door.

Is it a direct, bolt-in swap both front and rear?

What year and model are the pictured seats from?

Is there a way to hookup the heat and power form these seats in my 96?

Thanks guys!

red_01_xj said:
yep didnt you use the ZJ bases/tracks, then yours woudnt be bolt in

OH....yeah I see what you mean, I got confused there for a min. you would be correct, they aren't exactly a bolt in deal, I had to re-drill a few holes.

that reminds me, are your WJ seats 100% functional like my ZJ seats are? my heat/recline/lumbar/power slide/etc works like factory.

Last edited:
TazXJ said:
OH....yeah I see what you mean, I got confused there for a min. you would be correct, they aren't exactly a bolt in deal, I had to re-drill a few holes.

that reminds me, are your WJ seats 100% functional like my ZJ seats are? my heat/recline/lumbar/power slide/etc works like factory.
mine had manual recline, and non power slide, the heat works, there was no lumbar

Read this thread a bit...does anyone know whether grand seats will fit an MJ? Im willing to do some fab work, just nothing horribly beyond my (non)welding skills...TIA

bn6339 said:
Read this thread a bit...does anyone know whether grand seats will fit an MJ? Im willing to do some fab work, just nothing horribly beyond my (non)welding skills...TIA
if you add the channel like in the 95 plus and then used 95 plus seat frames and grand cherokee seats you should be able to do it

red_01_xj said:
if you add the channel like in the 95 plus and then used 95 plus seat frames and grand cherokee seats you should be able to do it

channel?

what channel?

have a picture? I've got a late 94, so I'm wondering if I possibly have 95 seat brackets.

bn6339 said:
You would need to use the MJ seat brackets. The xj ones are different.

non channel
P1010031.jpg

with channel
DSCF0034.jpg

Thanks! How hard is a channel to add?

no idea, however I have heard of people using some u shaped or L shaped steel and making them, the two holes on the back side or left side in the picture are where the nuts are for the bolts on the front

From the looks of the pics, it seems the bottom of the WJ/ZJ seats offer no more support than the XJ seats. Granted they probably have more comfortable backs, what is uncomfortable to me is the fact that there isn't much leg support & I have a bad knee, so on long trips it makes my knee ache.

Edit: I love my XJ....new to them & just got this one, but I'm coming from a crew cab Duramax daully with the premium cloth captain seats....it's a big step back in comfort. Anyone else have other seats they have put in with any success? I need seats that have a bit more depth to support my legs.

Hey guys, i'm looking to do exactly this, rear seat only for the 60/40 split. I have a 97 XJ and from reading through this thread it looks like WJ rear seats would go in relativley easy? If anyone who has done this could provide me with a write up or some specifics (list of parts needed, steps taken, which exact seats i need etc.) it would be really greatly appreciated. Throughout the thread there appears to be some contridictory information.

thanks!

Back