• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Seats?

I did the conversion in mine (2000). The seats were out of a 2004 Grand Cherokee and it is not an easy swap. It is not really hard, but it is more work than bolt in.

If you are not doing power seats in the front, than it is bolt in, but if you want the power, be prepared to do some fabricating.

The rear seat goes in ok, but it does not lay flat there is about a 1" difference in the floor when the seats are down. Also you need to come up with something to support the weight in the center on the rear seats so they do not sag. I used a 2" peice of metal and it works great. I am happy with the swap, but I am short and dont need as much leg room as others do.

Going to revive this a thread a bit. those of you who put either the ZJ or WJ seats in a 97+ XJ, how much leg room did you loose ? I'm 6'6" 32" inseam and with the stock cloth SE seat all the way back am super comfortable with the seatback straight up, when I move it forward one bump for my daughter in the back it puts my right knee at just the wrong angle. The other option I'm looking at is the Corbeau Moab in spice cloth but I'm hesitant buying them without putting my ass in one first.

going to revive this thread also..
I have factory heated power seats in my XJ( 2000limited)

1.can i get heated WJ seats and will they bolt on to the XJ bases (since they are power, everyone talks about manual)
2. is the heated plug the same or just splice it in?

Anyone know of a seat or modification that will actually give you more room? I dont care if its a stock seat or a ZJ, or WJ, just as long as I can get it to at least sit lower and if possible slide back farther.

Any ideas?

I have a 96 4 door xj.

Last edited:
alwaysready said:
going to revive this thread also..
I have factory heated power seats in my XJ( 2000limited)

1.can i get heated WJ seats and will they bolt on to the XJ bases (since they are power, everyone talks about manual)
2. is the heated plug the same or just splice it in?

1. you will still need the manual recline unless you wanted to splice in the power recline
2. just splice in the heated plug...it will be that much easier

pqrSTUVWxyz said:
Anyone know of a seat or modification that will actually give you more room? I dont care if its a stock seat or a ZJ, or WJ, just as long as I can get it to at least sit lower and if possible slide back farther.

Any ideas?

I have a 96 4 door xj.
you will need to cut and rebuild the frame...but i spose it could be done

red_01_xj said:
you will need to cut and rebuild the frame...but i spose it could be done

From what I've read in this post, it seems like any upgrade in seating from a VJ or WJ will increase the overall height of the seat by at least an inch, correct?

If thats the case, what seats would you recommend puting into my 96 xj just to increase comfort? I imagine that there are some models of xj's that had cushier seats than others.

pqrSTUVWxyz said:
From what I've read in this post, it seems like any upgrade in seating from a VJ or WJ will increase the overall height of the seat by at least an inch, correct?

If thats the case, what seats would you recommend puting into my 96 xj just to increase comfort? I imagine that there are some models of xj's that had cushier seats than others.
Yep some did... check with 96+ Classics, Countrys, and Limiteds for better seats...The wj seats have far better support and i didnt nottice a loss in headroom only leg room (not for me but it doesnt go back as far)

Hey guys I am in am currently installing some 98 heated leather ZJ seats into my XJ and was wondering if anyone had the wiring diagram for them? I already spliced in the power so the power recline will work, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the heat to work. I really really want the heat to work!

If anyone has the wiring diagram that would help me a lot. Thanks.

x2 on the wiring diagram for the heated seats.

Wow I had to do a search in Google to find this thread. Tried searching six times through 5 pages on each search and did not get this thread. Looks like my 96 will be getting WJ seats front and rear. I could use some pics for the rear. I'd like to see what others have done for the seat swap. My biggest complaint for the rear XJ seats is no head rest.

There might not be room to fold down the rear seat with headrests
Definitely won't be, since the bottom of the rear seat flips up and the back of the rear seat actually pushes against it. You'd have to make the headrests removable I think.

BTW for the people looking for another option, Corbeau makes seats that are supposed to work in the XJ. I think they are called Moab or something. You can get them in vinyl, but leather is much more expensive.

I might get a set in beige vinyl because cloth is too hard to clean

Ok, so I'm confused, probably due to the sinus meds...

I have an 88 with no power/heated seats. I would like newer front & rear seats. I don't really care about the power/heat, my goal is leather and more comfy.

So would a 97+, ZJ or WJ front and/or rear seats fit into my 88. Which are direct bolt ins, which need a little mod (maybe some brackets/hinges/etc).

Ok, so I'm confused, probably due to the sinus meds...

I have an 88 with no power/heated seats. I would like newer front & rear seats. I don't really care about the power/heat, my goal is leather and more comfy.

So would a 97+, ZJ or WJ front and/or rear seats fit into my 88. Which are direct bolt ins, which need a little mod (maybe some brackets/hinges/etc).

Only direct bolt-ins will be pre-1995 xj seats or mj seats. See post #96 on page 7 of this thread to see why.

I have my rear ZJ seats installed and I'm going to modify the front ZJ tracks to keep the power controls. I don't know how to post pics up here, but if someone can tell me how I will.

Back