• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Seats?

That's been contradicted by someone with a 97+ XJ who posted pics of his Grey leather WJ seats installed, and said that they neither bolted in directly nor did the seats bolt to the XJ rails. That it required fabbing. I've lost the thread. I've seen someone with cloth WJ but no details on what was done. But I've yet to see anything from anyone who bolted things together without fabrication and thus no real 100% confirmation of any bolt-in swaps.

I had to weld brackets to get Ford Torus SHO leather seats into my XJ, and I had to completely rework the rear, and message the trans tunnel. So I'm looking for a simple swap for my Wifes. Unfortunately there seems to be gobs of misinformation surounding this topic. I still can believe that some range of years of WJ and/or ZJ seats have the same rails or can be bolted to the XJ's rails, but the only actual swap I've seen ruled both options out for at least the 99+ style WJ seats.

I have some from a WJ in mine 00, and I have two buddys with a 01 and a 98 they all work. Please do some more research you will fine that it works. You should read the whole thread before you post and try to disagree.

1bolt said:
That's been contradicted by someone with a 97+ XJ who posted pics of his Grey leather WJ seats installed, and said that they neither bolted in directly nor did the seats bolt to the XJ rails. That it required fabbing. I've lost the thread. I've seen someone with cloth WJ but no details on what was done. But I've yet to see anything from anyone who bolted things together without fabrication and thus no real 100% confirmation of any bolt-in swaps.
ALL 97+ XJ seat rails bolt up the same. ALL ZJ seats will bolt on to ALL 97+ XJ rails. ALL WJ seats will bolt on to ALL 97+ XJ seat rails. ALL=100%

red_01_xj said:
You should read the whole thread before you post and try to disagree.

In case you missed it because I posted it oh... two or three posts back on this same page, I've read the whole thread and a dozen more like it over the past three years, and there's at least one person with pics of WJ seats installed who says that power WJ seats are not a bolt in.

Maybe before you make yourself look silly again; you should take your own advise :) I am not "trying to disagree" I'm relating one post from someone who's got power WJ seats in his XJ that expressly stated it was NOT a bolt in operation. As soon as I find that thread again I will post a link.

On the other hand pics of installed ZJ or WJ power seats or writeups from people claimning they've done it "bolt in" have been few and far between.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying there's very little proof that there's a bolt in power seat option that doesn't involve finding rare power XJ seats.
So instead of trying to put me in my place for daring to question the conventional wizdom why don't you be helpful and serve up some pics of your WJ seats?

1bolt said:
In case you missed it because I posted it oh... two or three posts back on this same page, I've read the whole thread and a dozen more like it over the past three years, and there's at least one person with pics of WJ seats installed who says that power WJ seats are not a bolt in.

Maybe before you make yourself look silly again; you should take your own advise :) I am not "trying to disagree" I'm relating one post from someone who's got power WJ seats in his XJ that expressly stated it was NOT a bolt in operation. As soon as I find that thread again I will post a link.

On the other hand pics of installed ZJ or WJ power seats or writeups from people claimning they've done it "bolt in" have been few and far between.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying there's very little proof that there's a bolt in power seat option that doesn't involve finding rare power XJ seats.
So instead of trying to put me in my place for daring to question the conventional wizdom why don't you be helpful and serve up some pics of your WJ seats?
I did post pics back on post 25 or so of this thread. If you would have read the posts carefully you would see that the xj seat base is being used (either power or non) along with the WJ seats, now if you were to try to retain the grand seat bases you will not get it to work (power or non).

Your whole thing is that you haven't tried it, I have helped out with 3 installs so far of WJ seats in XJ's. IT ALL WORKS.

1bolt said:
Too funny, I think that this is the first time that I read that someone said that it WOULDN'T work. I've seen at least a dozen different threads (with pics) showing the mod.

I think there's some trolling going on here :shiver:

JEEPZZ said:
ALL 97+ XJ seat rails bolt up the same. ALL ZJ seats will bolt on to ALL 97+ XJ rails. ALL WJ seats will bolt on to ALL 97+ XJ seat rails.

Here are some WJ seats mounted on the original XJ seat-base/slider in my 2000 XJ. No mods needed, simply bolt on. The WJ power seat switches are nonfunctional until I find an XJ power adjust seat-base/slider to swap in.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Tim_MN said:
Here are some WJ seats mounted on the original XJ seat-base/slider in my 2000 XJ. No mods needed, simply bolt on. The WJ power seat switches are nonfunctional until I find an XJ power adjust seat-base/slider to swap in.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Do you still have the XJ seats and would you sell them or are they long gone? :wave:
I'm in Northern IL.

Troy

I didn't see how the power bases would bolt to the XJ bases and still have all the power options work. I just chopped the brackets off of the WJ seats and made some that would lower the seat a little and let the seats go back farther. The back took a little work but they are in and work great here are some pics I have no real write-up or anything and I can snap some pics if you want more

click to enlarge

krelja said:
I didn't see how the power bases would bolt to the XJ bases and still have all the power options work. I just chopped the brackets off of the WJ seats and made some that would lower the seat a little and let the seats go back farther. The back took a little work but they are in and work great here are some pics I have no real write-up or anything and I can snap some pics if you want more

click to enlarge

I would like to see some more pictures of your mounts that you built so you could use the power in the front and how you got the power wired. I picked up my seats on monday and would like to get them installed. I think that I will start with the rear and the front passanger seat so I can still drive to work and back.

(2000 XJ)

XJBANKER said:
I would like to see some more pictures of your mounts that you built so you could use the power in the front and how you got the power wired. I picked up my seats on monday and would like to get them installed. I think that I will start with the rear and the front passanger seat so I can still drive to work and back.

(2000 XJ)

zith said:
So that means even though everyone is talking about the WJ seat swap on 97+ cherokees, it'll really work on 95+.
Good to hear! Now it's time to find some cheap WJ seats. :D

do you guys know if 95-01 seat brackets (no seats included) will bolt into the stock holes in the floor of 87-94 Cherokees?

thanks

bajacalal said:
Quick answer:

IIRC the earlier Cherokees (from the AMC era until Chrysler changed it) do not have the same seat attachment pattern on the floor. I do think the late 80s ones had better seats though.

thank you :)

I took my tracks off my old xj seats and directly bolted them onto the base of some zj seats out of a 98 grand cherokee. Nice seats. The
only drawback was that they were out of a four door and would not lean forward enough for me to access my back seat in my 96two door sport. Fortunately it has only been a problem rarely but if I were to do it again, Wait a minute, they don't make two door grand cherokees, do they. If I had kids going in and out or gave rides to friends with a waist larger than 26 inches, then it would be a problem. Still love those seats however.

I have the back part of the 60/40 installed, need to find some time to get the project done. It really looks good so far.

Back