• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Seats?

When I bolted 1998 ZJ power leather seats onto my '99XJ rails they raised the seat surface by atleast an inch. So, if you are tall, and don't like your head hitting the ceiling / overhead console it is not a "direct fit". (atleast it wasn't for me)

Also, adapting ZJ power seat rails to an XJ is a royal pain in the balls.

If anybody has any advice I am all ears.

Chris

tysonxj said:
When I bolted 1998 ZJ power leather seats onto my '99XJ rails they raised the seat surface by atleast an inch. So, if you are tall, and don't like your head hitting the ceiling / overhead console it is not a "direct fit". (atleast it wasn't for me)

Also, adapting ZJ power seat rails to an XJ is a royal pain in the balls.

If anybody has any advice I am all ears.

Chris

It would be much easier to swap in XJ limited seats, you know those will work. The XJ seats already sit high. I'm 6' 3" and am crowded.

I found some 99 leather front grey the only bad part for 100 on craigslist? I guess i'm blessed to be in an area of 5 million plus cars withtin a 100 mile radius.

ill try to get more tonight...it was a tight fit but 10x better seats and better looking

red_01_xj said:
ill try to get more tonight...it was a tight fit but 10x better seats and better looking
91 Jeep Project said:
What all was required to get them in?
Looks like we are going to get off topic here but I too have got to know how you mounted up the WJ rear seat into the XJ. More pics and info PLEASE!!! :D

i added more pictures to the same album

it requiers 10 bolts or so...

first remove back seat and mounting brackets then install the rear of the back seat using the Grand Cherokee brackets (do the outsides first and then the center brackets)
the center bracket is a bit tricky (you have to flip it backwards inorder to mount it)

the bench is a bit harder to fit becase of the wheel wells i took a dremel and cut off about an inch of the plastic around the wheel well in the seat (i did then glue the seat cover back to the base)
then you mount the bottom of the seats to the front of the bench support...and whalla...

honestly it was not that hard to do...but do be carefull because this requires drilling and cutting (plastic)...

you do gain about another 2-3 inches under the rear seat and it does sit up higher...the rear passangers do lose some leg room but my passangers have already comented on the comfort and height of the seats
the only other problem you have when doing this is the back is no longer level when the seats are folded (yes they do fold and i love the 40/60) when folded it sits about an inch higher not a big deal in my mind but may be for those who sleep in the back

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Can you fold the rear seat down more than you have it? Can you take some pics of the front seats? While this is an awesome mod, I think most people will just do the front seats, but it's awesome to know that this works in a XJ, sure makes it look much more plush. You can tell people this is the super rare Ultra Limited Jeep Cherokee. :laugh3:

Big Red said:
Thanks for the pics. Can you fold the rear seat down more than you have it? Can you take some pics of the front seats? While this is an awesome mod, I think most people will just do the front seats, but it's awesome to know that this works in a XJ, sure makes it look much more plush. You can tell people this is the super rare Ultra Limited Jeep Cherokee. :laugh3:
yea there actually is a picture of them folded flat (the fronts are great i will get some more photos up tomorrow...)

yea the more i think about it my jeep wants to be a grand...zj disc brakes, zj v8 coils, wj control arms, wj seats, zj gas tank skid plate, and soon a zj v8 tie rod...i guess my jeep is a grand xj...haha or a cherokee laradeo

red_01_xj said:
yea there actually is a picture of them folded flat (the fronts are great i will get some more photos up tomorrow...)

yea the more i think about it my jeep wants to be a grand...zj disc brakes, zj v8 coils, wj control arms, wj seats, zj gas tank skid plate, and soon a zj v8 tie rod...i guess my jeep is a grand xj...haha or a cherokee laradeo

WOW, you sure do have a unique XJ there. How much lift did the V8 ZJ coils give you? I have a V8 ZJ, that I could take the front coils from. It is common in the ZJ world to bring the rear coils to the from for a 3.5-4" lift you just need to get new real coils. How did the ZJ gas tank skid work, much modification. What year XJ do you have? Thanks for the info. ;)

So other than the rear seat itself, what other pieces from the WJ will I need? Just the brackets??
I'm assuming that the mounting brackets will unbolt out of the WJ -or- are they welded in there?

Big Red said:
WOW, you sure do have a unique XJ there. How much lift did the V8 ZJ coils give you? I have a V8 ZJ, that I could take the front coils from. It is common in the ZJ world to bring the rear coils to the from for a 3.5-4" lift you just need to get new real coils. How did the ZJ gas tank skid work, much modification. What year XJ do you have? Thanks for the info. ;)

Front ZJ coils give around 1-2"s of lift in an XJ. V8 ZJ coils give around 3"s I assume...

Chero-King said:
Front ZJ coils give around 1-2"s of lift in an XJ. V8 ZJ coils give around 3"s I assume...

Does it matter if they are from a V8 or straight 6?

Did you get the power seats working in your XJ? In order to make this work would you think you have to use XJ limited brackets with WJ or ZJ power leather seats? It would be a lot easier to swap in leather Limited seats from a XJ around the same vintage, but I'm sure they aren't as luxurious as the ZJ or WJ Limited seats.

Big Red said:
Did you get the power seats working in your XJ? In order to make this work would you think you have to use XJ limited brackets with WJ or ZJ power leather seats? It would be a lot easier to swap in leather Limited seats from a XJ around the same vintage, but I'm sure they aren't as luxurious as the ZJ or WJ Limited seats.

WJ seats raise you up about an inch, XJ power bases raise you up about an inch. Depending on your height, that could be an issue.

Last edited:
Is there any options or possibilities for running Grand seats for those of us with 2 dr. XJs? Didnt know if anyone had done anything fun with the seats to make it so the back seat was still accessable. I am considering replacing the drivers seat but leaving the passenger seat, but as much as I dont care about looks... or my passengers comfort so much as my own for that matter... I would like the looks. I have a 93 so I know it would be more of a process to install the seats already, but anyone have any ideas so my passengers dont have to climb in through the back? :D

Back