• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Seats?

JEEPZZ said:
So other than the rear seat itself, what other pieces from the WJ will I need? Just the brackets??
I'm assuming that the mounting brackets will unbolt out of the WJ -or- are they welded in there?
all except the bracket between the seats (for the 40/60) are attached to the seat...and this one is bolted in as well...i believe the nuts are welded so you will not be able to get those

Alienspecimen said:
Do the Grand Cherokee heated seats come in non-leather version? I hate leather...
Thanks
Boris
the heated do not...but cloth Grand cherokee seats are way more comfortable

Chero-King said:
Well the straight 6 Coils only barely give you an inch. The v8 coils I'm pretty sure give around 2-3"s

Nope, 4.0 coils give you nothing. V8 coils only give you an extra inch. If you don't already know this, it's easy enough to figure out. As the Rubicon 4.5" ZJ Coil is the same one they use as the XJ 5.5" Coil.

91 Jeep Project said:
Nope, 4.0 coils give you nothing. V8 coils only give you an extra inch. If you don't already know this, it's easy enough to figure out. As the Rubicon 4.5" ZJ Coil is the same one they use as the XJ 5.5" Coil.
up country ones will give you an inch more than stated above...my V8 coils gave me about an 1.5"

Anyone know if ZJ non-power cloth seats raise you up? I have a lead on some locally and am wondering.

Thanks!
Dennis

91 Jeep Project said:
WJ seats raise you up about an inch, XJ power bases raise you up about an inch. Depending on your height, that could be an issue.

91 Jeep Project said:
As far as I am informed, no, they do not.

I am sure my original seats had some sag, but the seats I got(supposedly from a 98 ZJ) do raise me up at least an inch. My friend here at the office noticed it in the passenger seat also when I drove him to pick up his car.

They also seem to sit farther forward giving the backseat a little more legroom. I saw this as I watched my 5 year old climb into his car seat.

Just my observations.

-Dennis

lil98xj said:
They also seem to sit farther forward giving the backseat a little more legroom. I saw this as I watched my 5 year old climb into his car seat.

Excellent. How did it affect the driver's leg room?

Being long of leg and I can just get comfy with the seat all the way back. Does the extra height offset the leng room loss?

When my boys get bigger the rear leg room may be an issue for us.

Root Moose said:
Excellent. How did it affect the driver's leg room?

Being long of leg and I can just get comfy with the seat all the way back. Does the extra height offset the leng room loss?

When my boys get bigger the rear leg room may be an issue for us.

It feels like it is close to offsetting. I am really having trouble getting comfortable in the new seats as I am all torso. 6'1" and a 31" inseam. I was 1" from the headliner to begin with in a "normal" driving position. Now I have to recline the seat to drive. My wife says she is more comfortable in the Jeep as she likes the higher seating position. We have switched vehicles for a little while to see if the seats "settle" at all.

At this moment I am not happy with the switch. It has nothing to do with the actual modification, that was as easy as everyone here said it is. I am just bummed that because of my body's build this change makes the Jeep painful to drive for me.

-Dennis

i hooked up the heated seats today...i was at the junk yard and they had a set of cloth seats with heated in them so i knew it must be aftermarket...they have this little blue box on them that is inline that must have a realay in it or something but the pads for the wj seats remained the same...for your info in a 2002 wj the heated seat wires that go in to the seats are yellow for power and black is the temp sensors... so what i did was find the same on the pads from the aftermarket kit and hooked them to the stock pads....they had a positive and negitive that i ran to the back of the cig lighter and walla they worked... it was probably the easeist way to do it...by finding or using an after market kit...if you have any questions i may be able to answer them.

91 Jeep Project said:

That doesn't make any sense, Aftermarket springs by companies like RE don't specify I6 or v8 so if youre saying the factory coil on a v8 is stronger then w/ aftermarket coils a I6 will always get an inch more lift which i do not believe to be true..

logically i agree the v8 coil should be stronger but this just doesnt make sense to me, anyone know for sure if theres a difference?

*i've looked into replacement springs and no one except the stupid autozone guys ask about engine size

miketyson said:
That doesn't make any sense, Aftermarket springs by companies like RE don't specify I6 or v8 so if youre saying the factory coil on a v8 is stronger then w/ aftermarket coils a I6 will always get an inch more lift which i do not believe to be true..

logically i agree the v8 coil should be stronger but this just doesnt make sense to me, anyone know for sure if theres a difference?
Yes, I know for sure. Sorry, I didn't make it up. I said that the Rubicon Lift coils for the ZJ give the XJ an inch more lift. Which is why the Coils included in the RE 5.5" XJ kit are 4.5" ZJ coils per the part number. Not enough proof?

i believe its the same spring looked it up myself, but that means everyone with a v8 is getting screwed on their lifts cause aftermarket companies dont account for the heavier engine is this right? or can you assume the factory coils are the same for both engines as well

wow guys thanks for bringing this thread back... i guess it had been awhile since i had searched the whole grand seats thing... awesome ill do the rear bench Too!!!

So i have 97 orvis power/heated ZJ seats that i want to swap into my 2000 classic with the standard manual seats. As i understand it, it will REQUIRE the frame rail from a XJ limited that had power seats??? How are you guys getting the frame rail off? I flipped over the ZJ seats and only see one torx bit on the bottom most portion of each side ( is that it), otherwise i see a lot of rivets and pressed fittings. I have the rear leather ZJ seats too which i would love to install. I have seen it done but would love to see a write up or any info you guys may have. You guys that have installed the ZJ seats, where they the power/heated 6 way seats. i'm wondering if these will fit b/c they are really big around the base. i have physically put them in where the drivers seat was and hooked up the power and as you would slide the seat back the left rear base of the seat would jam into the plastic shroud that covers the pillar that seperates the front and rear doors. Any assistance and guidance is heartily appreciated.

Last edited:
Yeah this is probably the 10th thread I've read about WJ/ZJ seat swaps into 95+ XJ's Over the past three years. I ended up adapting passenger car leather seats into my XJ. and I'm still not sure what years of grands fit and whether the XJ base needs to be retained or the wrole grand seat bracket bolts in. Now I got a 97 for my Wife with power everything but cloth manual seats... looking to change that.

BTW on the whole V8 Coil debates... the 4.0 is as heavy as most iron block Small block V8's. It's nearly a hundred pounds heavier than SBF and Chevy all aluminum motors (such as the late 5.0, DOHC 4.6 and the LS1)... Just some food for thought, there should be little if any difference between an I6 and V8 Grand cherokee springs...

1bolt said:
Yeah this is probably the 10th thread I've read about WJ/ZJ seat swaps into 95+ XJ's Over the past three years. I ended up adapting passenger car leather seats into my XJ. and I'm still not sure what years of grands fit and whether the XJ base needs to be retained or the wrole grand seat bracket bolts in. Now I got a 97 for my Wife with power everything but cloth manual seats... looking to change that.
The XJ bases need to stay, any year ZJ (93-98) or WJ (99-04) will bolt to the XJ bases.

Back