• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to look for

RGKelly9704

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this has probably been asked a hundred times, but I'm going to ask again because I'm new here, and that's what annoying new people do. I'm going to look at an XJ for sale on Wednesday, and I wanted to know what to look for in it to make sure it has everything it should, and I'm not buying someone else's parts car. It is a 1998 4 door, 4.0L, A/C, Power Everything, 4x4, automatic, with 105k miles, stock, (Pretty much everything I wanted, except it's the newer body and the color leaves a little to be desired) needs a new front bumper cover and a minor frame pull (I know that that is fixable as I have access to a body shop) But what else should I look for? Up until a couple of days ago, I had no idea that they came with factory skid plates, never mind 3, so just help me out if you can. I want my first experience owning an xj to be a good one!

Last edited:
...what Ross said x2...especially up your way, definitely rust...I've had a 98 for some time and I think it's one of the better years....one other spot to check is the passenger front floor pan. Moisture accumulates there and while many blame it on a leaky windshield, i found it was the seal at the bottom of the fan motor that was the real cause. Combine that with the fact that it's a warm spot (right above the cat. converter), and you can have a real mess hidden beneath that carpet.
Rich

Re: Re: What to look for

...what Ross said x2...especially up your way, definitely rust...I've had a 98 for some time and I think it's one of the better years....one other spot to check is the passenger front floor pan. Moisture accumulates there and while many blame it on a leaky windshield, i found it was the seal at the bottom of the fan motor that was the real cause. Combine that with the fact that it's a warm spot (right above the cat. converter), and you can have a real mess hidden beneath that carpet.
Rich

Good to know! What about parts that can be removed without it being obvious (overhead console, skid plates, etc)

If someone pulls the OHC it's gonna be super obvious, the ones that come with one have a much bigger hole cut in the headliner.

Same goes for most other things. Most of that stuff is easy to find in the junkyard and bolt on anyways.

I'll take an XJ with a blown engine and transmission over one with rusty floors/rockers, dents/damage, and a blown heater core. Not kidding.

I'll take an XJ with a blown engine and transmission over one with rusty floors/rockers, dents/damage, and a blown heater core. Not kidding.

This.

I bought my last XJ without test driving it and only hearing it run for 10 seconds because of a blown PS hose. It was a super clean, non-New England jeep and that was the most appealing thing.

Back