• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thinking about getting an XJ again

royta

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I'm 51 and bought my first XJ, a 1990 5-speed, in 1998. I put Rusty's 4.5" coils up front and 3" spring packs with 3" longer shackles in the back. I put an Adance Adapters SYE and Tom Woods driveline in. I did many other things too, but those details aren't necessary. I sold it in 2005. Then in 2016 I bought a 2001 XJ for my oldest son, and my next two kids drove it until 2020.

So, now I'm way old and drive a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab that is way too big for tight dirt roads. I was toying with getting another XJ for a way to get out more. I have a C4 spinal cord injury from a car accident 10 years ago, but I can walk and even hike. I just look funny doing it. My finger dexterity is kind of trashed, so wrenching isn't as fun as it used to be. But still, I'm interested in an XJ again.

I've got my eye on a '93 Sport with 151,000-ish miles for mid $4's. I'm indecisive though. What should I be worried about?

Sounds like a fun plan to me :)

I love hopping in my XJ not only for trails, but for bopping around town as well. Such a fun little vehicle.

I would be worried about the amount of wrenching it is likely to need and your physical condition to do the wrenching.

I have been helping Varmint #1 with his '92 XJ for the past year and a half. I think every seal will have needed to be replaced before I am going to consider it as being "fixed". That is not to say Varmint #1 isn't driving it, it is just that he needs to be constantly monitoring fluid levels.

Rubber simply does not last 30 years.

You need to ask yourself how comfortable you are with replacing motor mounts, oil filter adater O-rings (PITA access for the bolt that seems to have been installed by a 600lb gorilla) and the rear main oil seal.

Once you fix a given issue that particular issue will probably be good for another 10 years or so, and if you can get those boys to help you then perhaps it is not such a hurdle. But unless it has been restored (and at under $5K I am expecting it hasn't been) it is going to need a bunch of maintenance. Not necessarily all at once, but it will need it.

I would be worried about the amount of wrenching it is likely to need and your physical condition to do the wrenching.

I have been helping Varmint #1 with his '92 XJ for the past year and a half. I think every seal will have needed to be replaced before I am going to consider it as being "fixed". That is not to say Varmint #1 isn't driving it, it is just that he needs to be constantly monitoring fluid levels.

Rubber simply does not last 30 years.

You need to ask yourself how comfortable you are with replacing motor mounts, oil filter adater O-rings (PITA access for the bolt that seems to have been installed by a 600lb gorilla) and the rear main oil seal.

Once you fix a given issue that particular issue will probably be good for another 10 years or so, and if you can get those boys to help you then perhaps it is not such a hurdle. But unless it has been restored (and at under $5K I am expecting it hasn't been) it is going to need a bunch of maintenance. Not necessarily all at once, but it will need it.
That's a good evaluation of it, a '93 isn't new any more! You should also consider parts availability.

Changing the motor mounts and checking the mount brackets are the first thing I'd do. I did the oil filter adapter o-rings on my '90, but that was 25 years ago. My right hand dexterity is actually pretty good, but my left not so much. I've changed the starter on my daughter's '07 Honda Accord 4-cylinder engine which requires pulling the intake manifold. I had to have my wife get the bolt started because thst was a left jand job. I've also changed one of the parking brake cables, and did a complete front and rear brake job including rotors and calipers on the same car, so I'm not completely worthless. Lol. I've dropped the transmission oil pan on both my wife's 5.3L Yukon XL and my Dodge pickup. It's not easy, but things are doable.

I do appreciate your advice for sure.

As long as you know what you are getting into and are willing to wrestle with the extra challenge, go for it.

RCP does it all with one hand. It sounds like you have a hand and a half. It can be done. But it is harder. As long as you are game, go for it.

I'd check the hard brake line to the rear. I think on the 3-4 XJs I have or had, it was nearly rusted through. I also replace the radiator cap. Of late, I have had issues with the distributor shafts being worn.

I've owned my '93 XJ since 1999. It had 80k miles when I bought it and has about 170k miles now. It's been driven gently and well cared for and has been reasonably reliable. The biggest issue I have to deal with is rusted out floor boards, though the body itself is pretty solid. Find the best one you can and go for it!

I've had my '88 XJ since 2000. I've put 80,000 miles on it since then. Other than some dirt driveways, it's never been off road. Had my share of issues with it but noting I couldn't handle myself. Since I live in SoCal, rust is not a real issue. My XJ is now 24 years older but so am I. While I enjoy wrenching on my own vehicles, it's getting tougher and tougher every year.

Parts for it are also getting harder to find. I raid the local salvage yards every time a "compatible" XJ appears nearby to grab the parts that have been discontinued (both OEM and Aftermarket) or are not otherwise readily available.

As others have suggested, $4K won't likely get you a pristine XJ (even one that old), so you'll have some work to do. Having owned a couple of XJ's before, I feel you know what you're getting into. If your kids can help out with the larger repairs, then go for it.

That's after you give it a thorough look over. Unless you live in a arid climate and the XJ has been "local" all it's life, rust can be the deal killer so make sure you check the rockers, pillars, floors, etc.

Enthusiasm & determination will always carry you thru' &, with a supportive family, you can't go wrong.

The parts issue is a peculiarly American "problem" which I can only assume comes from being spoiled all these years. I'm still amazed at what is still readily available. Here XJ's weren't supported by the dealership network when I got my 1st one over 10 years ago, there are very few scrap yards & you'd be lucky to find a late model written off Jeep of any sort in any of them. Even consumables & tune-up items mainly have to be bought on-line - & they, often, come From Spain, Italy, Germany, Poland, Latvia & Lithuania.

Get a grip on reality, grasp the opportunity, go for it & - enjoy!

Back