• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Upgrades" you most regret spending money on

This, among other things.

It's comical to me how people argue that the problem with the D44 is the u-joint, which makes it as weak as a D30. Most u-joint failures occur because the caps start to spin off. If you get Spicer non-greasable u-joints and weld the caps you eliminate this problem. The u-joint will still break, but much, much later - most likely the hub will go first. To me this argument is the same as saying that if you go to a D60 that's not a king-pin then it's no stronger than a D44 because it has ball joints... :rolleyes:

newer D60s are Balljoint, even the super-duty 60's are. they are a lot stronger than their KP versions.

the KP version is most sought after because of the length of tube on the driver's side for link placement, and for the ability to easily bolt histeer arms to them. not because they are any stronger.

What's stronger about an older D44 vs a D30 is just the tubes, center section, shafts, inner C's, knuckles, ring and pinion, brakes and hubs...

Even if you get RCV shafts in a D30 and an ARB, you can still get so much gear deflection that if you don't shred your gears you will eventually walk the bolts out of the ARB and they will grenade your gears. Google it.
that is only a problem with the older style ARBs, and it was a design flaw on their end. it is no longer a problem.

An older D44 (Waggy/FSJ/70s-80s truck) with gears, locker and welded u-joint caps is flat out stronger than a D30 with the same setup. Obviously not as strong as a D60 with the same setup (even a ball joint 60) but that maybe overkill for many.
really? a low pinion D44? if you said HP44, I'd say yes. but LP... not really.

spicer 760's and full circle clips, seen many blown up D30 r&p's of various gear ratios with that setup, so whats the weak link again

I've seen a ton of stock shafts spit caps, break cross-shafts and plenty shear the ears on D30's. seen plenty of 760s break in alloy shafts too.

the only time I have seen issues with R/P on a 30 are with RCVs or alloys and CTMs.

that's why my turd has the small hub kit. its the "fuse" but even then, before I bought it, it was run on a YJ on 35"s on every major hammer trail, every trail in moab, all over the southwest, etc for 9 years without a single breakage.

and once you put a D44 ring and pinion in there, you are going to break shafts more often. and every time you do, you shock-load the whole system, you will eventually take out the bearing journals on the carrier.

nobody is really arguing that a D30 is just as strong as a D44... even the Lp44 is a bit stronger.... the bigger problem is that its still not strong enough to run anything bigger than a 35" reliably, and at the cost of doing it, you've lost ground clearance and spent just as much as it would cost to put in a 60 and reliably run a tire that size.

Last edited:
if i had to build my front axle again, i'd build a waggy 44.

jantz K4 kit, RCVs, reid knuckles, fully trussed, full case locker, BBK, etc.

And you could save thousands of dollars with a d60 and be just as strong.

shitty leaf packs.

should have skipped the 2 pairs of rubicon express packs and went straight to a quality leaf pack.

And you could save thousands of dollars with a d60 and be just as strong.

This is what i dont understand.

You tell someone you swapped a front 44 and they automatically hate you for it. "BRO YOU COULD HAVE A DANA 60 THEYRE WAY BETTER AT EVERYTHINGGGGGG."

Not everyone (including myself) needs a super heavy, super wide, super heavy duty front axle. Ive got less money in both my axles than most people have in their built dana 30s, and my 44 is stronger.

Id say you cant beat the waggy 44 as far as price/strength goes if your staying with a 35" tire, or at least i couldnt.

As far as mods i regret go, IRO long arms, but i dont want to get into it LOL

"BRO YOU COULD HAVE A DANA 60 THEYRE WAY BETTER AT EVERYTHINGGGGGG."

You jealous bro? :D

Stuff I regret? not a whole lot. I bought a decently built rig and slowly sold off the crappy parts to suckers to pay for good parts. I regret not buying a welder sooner in life and not buying a Cummins as a DD sooner too. I would say doing a WJ swap on my old 30 mighta been a waste, but thats when I was DD'ng the jeep and it was a big improvement and gave the axle good resale value.

First post, gotta start somewhere...

I've had a few regrets.
1. Buying stupid Bushwakers.
2. Going to 31's when I bought my lift, not 33's.
3. Buying 33's when I clearly had room for 35's.
Not much else as of now. I'll have 37's hopefully soon though.

I regret alot! Spending 3k on a 3" lift, wheels, tires, and a system when I first got my XJ back when I was 17.
Getting someone to "build" a long arm kit for me.
Buying RC 2.2 Shocks
buying pro comp coils

The worst upgrade I ever made was going from my old reliable 89 XJ to my new 01.

Rust everywhere, spends more time in the garage than on the trail, horrible fuel mileage...Besides, it's Yellow. Who the hell would buy a yellow jeep?

You sir, bought the yellow Jeep! LOL :roll:

building my dana 30, but oh well. works fine for me and my 35's

Buying a set of pitbulls, then going with some friends with fairly stock jeeps on lame trails. Big heavy tires, and me being bored didn't end well for my axles

Back