• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Upgrades" you most regret spending money on

So if you already have your mind made up, and all the answers, why did you ask for people's opinions?

Never pretended to have all the answers.... definitely far from it. Simply asked him what issues he ran into and stated that with my setup I think I'll be alright. My mind IS made up. I have what I have, but no reason to not get feedback from fellow members on their personal experiences.

So if you already have your mind made up, and all the answers, why did you ask for people's opinions?

I don't recall him asking for opinions.

Never pretended to have all the answers.... definitely far from it. Simply asked him what issues he ran into and stated that with my setup I think I'll be alright. My mind IS made up. I have what I have, but no reason to not get feedback from fellow members on their personal experiences.

Not knockin ya. Just nit-picking your wording. ;)

Yeah, I had to come into work early this morning. Got to sleep at 10PM and back up at midnight thirty to work 2am-2pm. May not be extremely clear in my wording. My brain isn't functioning all that well today.

WJ knuckle conversion. Between my scewed up caster angles, short track bar, and no front sway bar my rig drives like crap. There is an upside to the install though, bulletproof steering links, and bigger brakes to stop me from going into the ditch the rig always wants to go into.

Bryan - Why did that mess up castor?

I'm about to pull the trigger on that for less scary brakes on a budget. Plan is to do crossover flipped steering, not the high-steer / scary Ackermann angles option.

i kick myself in the ass for putting a grizzly in the rear. as soon as i have some extra cash she's getting an ARB.

Meh, I don't mind the lock right in my rear 60, but it sure would be to have another OX lever in the cab. Now that I'm driving a big dumb jeep I notice the loss of turning radius offroad more with the rear auto locker.

WJ knuckle conversion. Between my scewed up caster angles, short track bar, and no front sway bar my rig drives like crap. There is an upside to the install though, bulletproof steering links, and bigger brakes to stop me from going into the ditch the rig always wants to go into.

Hmm, I noticed an awesome improvement in the driveability of my Jeep when I did the WJ swap.

Granted, I still ran sway bars but I had a short(er) track bar and my caster was fine.

I ran an OTK tie rod on the lower arm and OTK drag link on the upper arm.

Bryan - Why did that mess up castor?

I'm about to pull the trigger on that for less scary brakes on a budget. Plan is to do crossover flipped steering, not the high-steer / scary Ackermann angles option.

Radius arms, I needed to get the front driveline angle batter to keep the vibes down. My rig has many issues but the root of the poor driving can be traced back to the WJ knuckle swap. Not to say I truely regret it, but it is a pain in the ass to drive. I run heims and a OTK style tie rod with spacers to raise it another 5/8".

If I were to do it again I would move the coil buckets back and run the track bar like Cal runs on his race rig, all the way to the right inner C. At this point I need a tow rig and/or a bigger front axle to solve the issue.

I just got back from a 1050 mile road trip, with 700+ highway miles so it can't be all that bad, just not great.

Re: Re: "Upgrades" you most regret spending money on

Radius arms, I needed to get the front driveline angle batter to keep the vibes down. My rig has many issues but the root of the poor driving can be traced back to the WJ knuckle swap. Not to say I truely regret it, but it is a pain in the ass to drive. I run heims and a OTK style tie rod with spacers to raise it another 5/8".

If I were to do it again I would move the coil buckets back and run the track bar like Cal runs on his race rig, all the way to the right inner C. At this point I need a tow rig and/or a bigger front axle to solve the issue.

I just got back from a 1050 mile road trip, with 700+ highway miles so it can't be all that bad, just not great.

Cut and rotate the inner C's? It's free, just takes time!
Worked great for my high-steer setup, and the drive shaft is pointed right at the T-case. I did also push the coils back over the axle...

its really not that hard...

Difficult? No.

Pain in the ass? Yes.

More effort than I want to put into the axle? Yes.

I'm on the cusp of *needing* a stronger axle, I'm not really inclined to put much effort into it, especially when it makes that axle customized to *my* rig. I'd rather keep that 30 universally vanilla so that when the day comes that I build another axle I'm selling a 30 that will bolt in to, say, a Jeep on 33s.

Difficult? No.

Pain in the ass? Yes.

I'm on the cusp of *needing* a stronger axle, I'm not really inclined to put much effort into it, especially when it makes that axle customized to *my* rig. I'd rather keep that 30 universally vanilla so that when the day comes that I build another axle I'm selling a 30 that will bolt in to, say, a Jeep on 33s.

True story. Moving the coil buckets is pretty easy.. Turning the Cs is less easy.

That's why I'm on the fence about 3-linking mine. It's more sellable to me as a bolt in axle. But it wouldn't be that hard to convert it back to oem when I sell it

Difficult? No.

Pain in the ass? Yes.

That's where I am at. Less is more.

Hell, my D30 might be bent. Haven't had it on an alignment rack in years. Might be worth a try.

Back