• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Upgrades" you most regret spending money on

Polishing the living hell out of my dana 30. It is proven it self on 35's but the whole setup has about a dozen trail rides on it and now I faced with selling it all at an amazing loss because I want 40's and tons to keep up with everyone else.

-Rusty flex flares -worked good but i slowly broke them into peices.- Now no flares
-All the money on synthetic oil changes, just run dino oil now. The 4.0 dosent care...

Trying to push more HP from a 4.0
-Throttle body spacer- bought long time ago (its actually stilll on the jeep)
-Cold air intake, just got dirty a lot, back to OE intake
-Mopar performance plug wires- End broke of with only like 15K on them, back to OE wires.

Going with 33's on my lift the first time, should've went 35 right off.

Yeah, I'll agree with this one. I just picked up my 35's tonight and really wish I would have went that route to begin with.

A LOT more that I could have done better, but it was all a learning experience. I wouldn't change any of it.

I wouldn't have changed anything I did to my XJ. As stated by another, it was a learning experience. A lot of what I did was based on what I could afford at the time.

Trial and error is the only way to learn what you can/cannot handle with the platform you are building. You can read countless posts about "this is what I would do if I were you", but until you try it for yourself, you'll never know if it was right for you or not.

That being said, I have been contemplating selling my WJ and going back to an XJ. Mainly because I don't want the car note/ payment anymore.

I am done for awhile with the off-road only build and looking to get into the Expedition side of traveling/wheeling. The V8 of the WJ sure is nice for towing but the unreliability of that motor is what has me questioning it for long distance travel. I know the I-6 in an XJ is a perfect combo. Plus an abundance of spare/aftermarket parts is a plus.

My first XJ had 31's, then I went to 33's and finally 35's. got sick of the ride and handling issues and now I'm back to 33's.

If I only had room for one Jeep it would be on 33s max.

I love having my Jeep on 30s for the milder stuff, the Jeep on 35s is fun too but it *is* more of a commitment to drive.

If I only had room for one Jeep it would be on 33s max.

I love having my Jeep on 30s for the milder stuff, the Jeep on 35s is fun too but it *is* more of a commitment to drive.
i dunno, i still wish i went with 40's instead of 37's and it is my daily driver lol

i dunno, i still wish i went with 40's instead of 37's and it is my daily driver lol
\

What 37's are you running? Do you have a build thread. I was just torn between 35's and 37's. I ended up choosing 35" MTZ's. I haven't even mounted them yet, but I THINK I made the right decision. They look great and I'm not sure I would want to lift my Jeep anymore in order to fit the 37's. If I do go to 37's in the future I will just be trimming more, expanding the wheel wells and comp cutting the rear to make room for them.

Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with driveability.

Yes it does.

Spools suck for drivability!

The best thing I ever did when building my big Jeep was put selectable lockers in both axles.

Yes it does.

Spools suck for drivability!

The best thing I ever did when building my big Jeep was put selectable lockers in both axles.
i kick myself in the ass for putting a grizzly in the rear. as soon as i have some extra cash she's getting an ARB.

Back