• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QUICK!! anyone with a winch near tulsa OK?

someone else can chime in here, but it doesn't look like it is mounted in the geatest locations for strength. But that may be how they came stock. I personally would want something a little stronger if I was on the other end.

Yes. The bracket is secured by what, two bolts? That's not the most sturdy connection, especially when you're talking about a unibody vehicle. There are pleanty of accounts on here of people who have bent or pulled tow hooks off of their vehicles that were attached much more securely than that.

And as for your ascertion earlier that the d-ring between straps doesn't relate to chains, I have to disagree.

Flying pieces of metal with inertia can be deadly wether it's a d-ring or a chain or the hook that just snapped off of said chain.

my $.02
shane

NO.

Get a hitch....use that.

Those hooks are NOT safe....that was the same way I had mine mounted before I knew better.....and before I sent a hook thru the windshield frame of a CJ-7, and into the passangers lap.

Rev

Hey. Still need a tow? hahaha.

Sorry I missed out on this thread. Otherwise I would have come pulled ya out. Glad you finally made it out though. Where were you anyway?

DUNESXJ said:
As I pulled up the chain broke shooting the whole long section back at the stuck 2500, Denting the Shit out of his tailgate.
I had the same thing happen to me back when I was really stupid. Took out the grill of my Suburban and left an amazing dent in the back of my buddy's Ranger. Chains are okay for holding things down, but when you "tug" something, a strap is the only answer. A strap with no metal hooks!

As to the the tow point, that's not the stock Chrysler bracket and hook. That looks pretty sketchy to me.

Either way, chains are not an viable alternative to a strap. Period. I have a feeling this thread will not die until the guilty parties admit they are wrong, so let's just get on with it, shall we?

-----Matt-----

Supertrapped said:
Hey. Still need a tow? hahaha.

Sorry I missed out on this thread. Otherwise I would have come pulled ya out. Glad you finally made it out though. Where were you anyway?
mohawk park.okay,okay,chains are not smart in a tugging situation.but i feel that i went about it safely.i wrapped the chain around my "hooks"and attached to the frame.but i still say that using a d-ring is an even worse idea.i woulda tied the straps together before using a d-ring.and at 25 bucks a strap i had exausted my funds but had plenty of friends with 1/2 inch chain so thats what worked for me.

a7273chargerguy said:
thats the most retarded thing i have ever heard,you used a d-ring between 2 straps,no shit it's gonna fly.How can you even relate that to chains?here's how my hooks are mounted.it was like that when i bought it.
100_2184.jpg
so 3 bolts for the bracket and 2 for the hook is'nt enough?i also have 2 in the front the same way.why would someone attach em' all shitty?and just to clear stuff up.everyone does dumb shit from time to time.I'm still young.don'tcha get like 2 chances?......LOL!

Don't know about the hook itself, but the bracket is Chrysler/Jeep OEM...its in the parts catalog.

Not sure if the chrome hook is oem...the one I got, it was black and a little larger...bigger hook.

Anyway, there are three bolts that hold the bracket to the unibody frame...two of which bolt to the nutstrip (also used for hitches and gas skid). All of the bolts, atleast on mine are grade 10.9 metric...so are the bolts for the hooks...the nuts are welded to the bracket. And the bracket itself is pretty stout...two pieces welded together...say 3/16 to 1/4 inch steel...

Not to say it wan't break...but it would take a lot of force...

When you pull on that hook, the stress is all on the forward bolt. Here is what can happen (and eventually will) the steel mount will snap at the bolt and the hook will rotate and release the strap....if you are lucky. if you are not lucky (I have never been) the hook will rotate and rip out of that little flange of lightwieght steel and come flying to the other vehicle.

Rev

a7273chargerguy said:
mohawk park

Hang on... I've been there before. So you weren't just wheeling illegally, you were wheeling in a public park. Awesome. So where exactly on the map were you stuck, anyway?

And please don't give me the 'you don't know what it's like to have to drive x number of hours away to go wheeling' line because I can assure you that, despite having the world's largest urban park and its restricted trails eight miles from my doorstep, I do still drive out to where I can LEGALLY wheel.

casm said:
Hang on... I've been there before. So you weren't just wheeling illegally, you were wheeling in a public park. Awesome. So where exactly on the map were you stuck, anyway?

And please don't give me the 'you don't know what it's like to have to drive x number of hours away to go wheeling' line because I can assure you that, despite having the world's largest urban park and its restricted trails eight miles from my doorstep, I do still drive out to where I can LEGALLY wheel.

WOW!

That guy is more of a retard than I thought. Way to give us 4x'ers a bad name even more. Too bad the Ranger was a wuss and didn't ticket you.

casm said:

nope.i won't give you the "you don't know what it's like."instead i'll just repeat myself since you obviously did'nt read the begining of the post.allow me to quote myself.

a7273chargerguy said:
I am stuck like chuck,here have a look

another shot

here's my buddy's,i sold it to him.all stock.missed the super bowl to help me.He's such a nice guy:wierd:

i am REALLY stuck.

and i don't know how it happened either.i was trying to pull this guy out in an ??isuzu?? pickup of all things,when i got him out i reversed and fell into this black hole.that's a 31 under that goo....

more to come.....
casm,i know there's lots of pretty pics but there is also text in between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
CanMan said:
WOW!

That guy is more of a retard than I thought. Way to give us 4x'ers a bad name even more. Too bad the Ranger was a wuss and didn't ticket you.
the only reason they did'nt ticket me was because they said i was on the borderline between park and county? or somethin',I'm not exactly sure why they did'nt either but i definetly lucked out. dude can man,you need help LOL

http://Can.Man.isgay.com/?loc=Pacific&gen=m&story=12

Last edited:
a7273chargerguy said:
the only reason they did'nt ticket me was because they said i was on the borderline between park and county? or somethin',I'm not exactly sure why they did'nt either but i definetly lucked out. dude can man,you need help LOL

[URL="http://Can.Man.isgay.com/?loc=Pacific&gen=m&story=12"]http://Can.Man.isgay.com/?loc=Pacific&gen=m&story=12
[/URL]

You are a retarded, grow up.

You obvioulsy need help. How old are you? 10? Maybe 11?

Nice edit post to try to make fun of a paying member. Nobody else is going to get made fun of?

No one else pissed in your cheerios today? Glad I made you mad.

Next time, try to be original, and a little more funny.

CanMan said:
You are a retarded, grow up.

You obvioulsy need help. How old are you? 10? Maybe 11?

Nice edit post to try to make fun of a paying member. Nobody else is going to get made fun of?

No one else pissed in your cheerios today? Glad I made you mad.

Next time, try to be original, and a little more funny.
haha,paying?you know it's a free website,right?I'm 12:wave1:

Back