• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QUICK!! anyone with a winch near tulsa OK?

a7273chargerguy said:
the only thing i learned was"i need a locker,d44 and 35's"or a winch.

You need more than that and it's something you can't buy.

Just one question, what did you use to hook up to that nice and new superduty? I sure hope not a chain. If it was, you got lucky.
Well, you learn from your mistakes. Get yourself a good strap with NO hooks for next time. I think you will be getting stuck again sometime in the near future.:D

Kim

Judging by the amoung of goo a locker would not have done a whole hell of alot more except get you farther into the hole lol.

not gonna say anything other than I hope you learned about wheeling in places your not supposed to be... also a word of warning... as some one who worked in the industry those fiber lines are not put at a single depth... five ft in one spot ten another, or a foot or less. In other words I would never drive anywhere near one. the risk of damage is just not worth it

Why are you guys so terrified of using chains to pull a vehicle out ? We use them in construction to hold down the dozers and excavators to the trailer. Also, if chains were that unsafe, then why on a 25 ton trailer do they require a safety CHAIN, not a safety STRAP ? Just curious ? I think you guys are over doing the don't use a chain fear.

camarors8992 said:
Why are you guys so terrified of using chains to pull a vehicle out ? We use them in construction to hold down the dozers and excavators to the trailer. Also, if chains were that unsafe, then why on a 25 ton trailer do they require a safety CHAIN, not a safety STRAP ? Just curious ? I think you guys are over doing the don't use a chain fear.
As you said, you use them as hold downs, not for trying to yank a vehicle out of a mud hole.

Kim

I used to use chains in the past. Sorry, I learned my lesson paying for windows and tailgates and risking the lives of others.

Kim

camarors8992 said:

I think this sums it up well:

TheRangerStation said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]Towing with chains[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]

In a word...don't. Towing with a chain, in most cases, can be dangerous. Unlike a tow strap, a chain does not stretch. Under the tremendous loads of towing, something needs to have a little flexibility, hence the tow strap. By using a chain, there is nothing in the loop that will give a little. What this means, simply, is the weakest part will break once sufficient stresses are imposed. This could be the chain, the tow hook, or some other part of the vehicle. Can you imagine the force behind a chain link being thrown at you by a force of 8000 pounds? Chains have their place for the off-highway driver, but not in towing.​
[/FONT]

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TowStraps_Hooks.html
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]
[/FONT]

camarors8992 said:
thank you.chains are safe unless you have a friggin' dinky little 1/4 inch bolt holding the hook to the chain.

Just a week or so ago My coworkers got their '05 Dodge2500 and Blazer ZR2 Stuck in all the snow we had. Before I got there the guy doin the tugging, also in a dodge, was using chains. As I pulled up the chain broke shooting the whole long section back at the stuck 2500, Denting the Shit out of his tailgate.

You go ahead and use a chain for your recoveries. I'll stick with my $25 towstrap. You've been forewarned.

i personally use straps and prefer them as they are safer and nicer to work with. but at the same time chain is also safe IF it is rated good enough. where i live we have lots of oilfield roads that are all mud and lots of massive lifted trucks. most companys around here only use chain to pull people out and will not do it with a strap. the difference is that they have a rule of minimum half inch chain. they say they have had to much damage done with smaller chain and straps(obviously not enough capacity)

ready to mud said:
i personally use straps and prefer them as they are safer and nicer to work with. but at the same time chain is also safe IF it is rated good enough. where i live we have lots of oilfield roads that are all mud and lots of massive lifted trucks. most companys around here only use chain to pull people out and will not do it with a strap. the difference is that they have a rule of minimum half inch chain. they say they have had to much damage done with smaller chain and straps(obviously not enough capacity)
i use straps too usually.but this particular instance i had snapped all the straps so i had no other option.if it would have been a f-250 pulling an f-250,then ya,duh,no chains.but my cherokee?soaking wet maybe 2500-2700lbs(someone correct me if I'm wrong on the weight)i see my jeep snapping in half before a half inch chain breaks.

x398123789 on NO METAL DURING EXTRACTIONS!

IMG_0383.jpg

Thats what happened to me... now listen to the story...

Stuck XJ > Strap > D - Ring > Strap > Non-stuck YJ

After the strap on the YJ side gave, and the D-Ring went THRU my hatch... blew out back window... strap flew inside, you could HEAR the d-ring rip back out, and get carried into the cab by the weight of the strap, where it DINGED into that THIN METAL BAR inside the CENTER of the headrest....

Yes... Speed couldve actually DIED from getting unstuck....

NOT WORTH IT, IMO!!!

the lesson above isn't that straps break too, it is that you need a strap long enough and rated high enough for what you need. That way you don't have any metal in the mix except the vehicals. Which brings up another point, how is your rear tow hooks mounted. Can't really tell from the picture.

Speed_racer said:
x398123789 on NO METAL DURING EXTRACTIONS!

IMG_0383.jpg

Thats what happened to me... now listen to the story...

Stuck XJ > Strap > D - Ring > Strap > Non-stuck YJ

After the strap on the YJ side gave, and the D-Ring went THRU my hatch... blew out back window... strap flew inside, you could HEAR the d-ring rip back out, and get carried into the cab by the weight of the strap, where it DINGED into that THIN METAL BAR inside the CENTER of the headrest....

Yes... Speed couldve actually DIED from getting unstuck....

NOT WORTH IT, IMO!!!
thats the most retarded thing i have ever heard,you used a d-ring between 2 straps,no shit it's gonna fly.How can you even relate that to chains?here's how my hooks are mounted.it was like that when i bought it.
100_2184.jpg

Back