• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep hates the whoops

my problem is if I go to some good deavers or nationals, It is going to totally suck when its loaded down or have passengers. Tough call.

I'm not sure what makes you say that ? I have Nationals, and have filled mine to the max(#3 on the way) and tow my camper with it. No problem.

I'm not sure what makes you say that ? I have Nationals, and have filled mine to the max(#3 on the way) and tow my camper with it. No problem.

I say that because the spring rate you would use to have max travel/droop with maximun progression are very soft. 100 lbs in the rear would sag it 4 inch's

What valving on the 7100s?

Im running 255/70 front n rear.

Are you talking about some real whoops 2-3ft deep or some little whoops, becouse I know I cant run 25 in the real whoops

not the 2-3 ft ones, more like the 1-2 ft. I guess I should clarify that the real big n deep ones still hurt but i can run fast on most of them.

I say that because the spring rate you would use to have max travel/droop with maximun progression are very soft. 100 lbs in the rear would sag it 4 inch's

There must be more than one way to reach a compromise in spring rate then ? Although I've only seen(certain) Deavers in action, their performance looks similar to the Nationals. The Jeepspeed rigs are definitely not lightweight nor empty. What do I know? I'm no expert..

IIRC the current XJ-spec Nationals are based on info provided by Hinkley back in the day, with a few changes. A good all around compromise.

Deaver springs are great both fast and crawling. Tony and I run them and I dont think Tony had any complaints, im sure he will chime in. And you have seen Tony Wheel his junk. Might want to look into them

Yeah, Deaver springs are by far the way to go....Andy hooked me up with his, and I loved them...and Both Craig and I ran pretty damn fast through the whoops at the last race we went to in barstow...in some sections north of the speed limit through mid size whoops.

I run Deavers leafs in the rear and RE spring in front and it does good on the whoops....that is until the Rancho 9000's crap out! Saving up for the 7100 Bilstiens and bump stops.

Really stiff compression valving in the front helps a lot, of course this creates a lot more heat(among other things like pressure spikes etc) hence the need for bigger shocks but if you can set it up so that most of your travel(within reason) is compression travel(6"/4" for my 10" shocks), add some air bumps(lower pressure than spec'ed, play with valving) and you should be much faster. Weight bias also has alot to do with it but not really much you can do there w/out lots of work. Welcome to the dark side:)
Good luck!

Last edited:
Cal wasn't there and you nor Cal was going 60 over that stuff :looser:

Full bodies not made for Jeep Speed don't do 60 on that stuff. No one out there is faster than Dave and Paul and they peak out at 60 on that stuff. ;)

This was at KOH, and we were hauling.

Are you talking about some real whoops 2-3ft deep or some little whoops, becouse I know I cant run 25 in the real whoops

Probably the little ones. The big ones scare me... After you make the left turn around the hill going back to camp you can keep the speed up for awhile, but there are a few sections where they get deep, and I slow down after landing. That's where I broke a center pin.

my passenger seat runs with ryan brown say otherwise.....

I will NEVER get in ANY car when Ryan says, hey put your beer down and let's go for a cruise.. :scared:

I've been a passenger in his rig twice - once on the dirt and once on the street.. :scared:

lol..... Ryan - :spin1:

E

I will NEVER get in ANY car when Ryan says, hey put your beer down and let's go for a cruise.. :scared:

I've been a passenger in his rig twice - once on the dirt and once on the street.. :scared:

lol..... Ryan - :spin1:

E

our trip over the razorbacks at the dunes on the way to claw were...well.....lets just say i thought i saw the end approaching as we got sideways about 50 feel down the side of the dune.

I can't take idling through the whoops anymore. The end of Boone Rd and the road back from the hammers is just brutal. I'm lucky if I can get over 12MPH. I need some help from the speed community. What should I get? I don't have a crazy budget, but I want to be able to get some speed up across the whoops.

Right now up front I have Rusty's coils (netted 5" lift with extra factory isolator), Bilstein 5125s (11 inchers I think), RE superflex adjustables upper and lowers with drop brackets.

In the rear I have 1.5" Daystar shackles, 5.5" skyjacker leafs, and Bilstein 5150s (10 inchers IIRC).

(BTW, this is in SoCal and not tech, because people in SoCal know what "THE WHOOPS" are when I refer to Boone Rd and JV)

Mike, I haven't read all the posts, so don't know what other people have already said, but here's my suggestions. I'd go with stiffer coils in the front, which aren't expensive, I don't think the Rusty's are very stiff. Stiffer front springs don't hurt you on the trail but they do better going fast and add road stability. I'd also get a pair of the Prothane coil inserts for bumpstops, these things are worth their weight in gold, and they're also not expensive. They sit inside the coil and are very progressive, some desert guys call them a poor man's air bump, I have them on my XJ. Next I'd go with some stiffer front shocks, like the 7100's in the short body version. The 5125/5150 series all come with the same valving (hopefully you don't have the soft valved versions which are meant for dual shock setups), which is pretty good for the rear but it's too soft for the front. The 7100's with stiffer valving work much better.

For not much money you can get stiffer coils and the spring insert bumpstops, which would be a big improvement.

Probably the little ones. The big ones scare me... After you make the left turn around the hill going back to camp you can keep the speed up for awhile, but there are a few sections where they get deep, and I slow down after landing. That's where I broke a center pin.

We ran 25 miles of those Sat! I think a couple of the guys need all new shocks!

Mike, I haven't read all the posts, so don't know what other people have already said, but here's my suggestions. I'd go with stiffer coils in the front, which aren't expensive, I don't think the Rusty's are very stiff. Stiffer front springs don't hurt you on the trail but they do better going fast and add road stability. I'd also get a pair of the Prothane coil inserts for bumpstops, these things are worth their weight in gold, and they're also not expensive. They sit inside the coil and are very progressive, some desert guys call them a poor man's air bump, I have them on my XJ. Next I'd go with some stiffer front shocks, like the 7100's in the short body version. The 5125/5150 series all come with the same valving (hopefully you don't have the soft valved versions which are meant for dual shock setups), which is pretty good for the rear but it's too soft for the front. The 7100's with stiffer valving work much better.

For not much money you can get stiffer coils and the spring insert bumpstops, which would be a big improvement.

These?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_437.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76058_741.htm

Back