• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep hates the whoops

As pointed out, those Rusty coils are soft. I noticed quite a difference going from Rusty's coils to the RE ZJ coils. They could be better though.
I run the National leafs and it works very well anywhere. Last year I was behind two guys with the RE leafs, and they were wrapping violently in any loose stuff. I'm suprised their yokes survived.

I try to carry as little as possible and tinker around with tire pressure.
With the small-medium stuff, mo' speed was mo' better. I know I've gone 40+ on Boone, but I'm ready to hammer the brakes, the craters or bigger whoops would waste my truck at that speed.

I need real bumpstops next.

You guys are just going too slow. :) I was hitting 60+ coming back from claw trying to keep up with Cal.

You guys are just going too slow. :) I was hitting 60+ coming back from claw trying to keep up with Cal.

Cal wasn't there and you nor Cal was going 60 over that stuff :looser:

Full bodies not made for Jeep Speed don't do 60 on that stuff. No one out there is faster than Dave and Paul and they peak out at 60 on that stuff. ;)

Last edited:
I can't take idling through the whoops anymore. The end of Boone Rd and the road back from the hammers is just brutal. I'm lucky if I can get over 12MPH. I need some help from the speed community. What should I get? I don't have a crazy budget, but I want to be able to get some speed up across the whoops.

Simple. IFS. Soaks it right up.

Cal wasn't there and you nor Cal was going 60 over that stuff :looser:

Full bodies not made for Jeep Speed don't do 60 on that stuff. No one out there is faster than Dave and Paul and they peak out at 60 on that stuff. ;)

my passenger seat runs with ryan brown say otherwise.....

Hey Mike,

I'm running the rusty's coils up front too but with 7100s front and rear with deavers in the back. also have RE drop brackets. Once I get the speed up, the whoops are really mild in my rig and I also run the front winch / bumper and rear tire carrier/bumper. I too carry lots of tools. The only thing I need to do is get more up travel for the rear shocks and I'm happy.

After running aftershock, i ran 40- 50 mph on the whoops.

Hey Mike,

I'm running the rusty's coils up front too but with 7100s front and rear with deavers in the back. also have RE drop brackets. Once I get the speed up, the whoops are really mild in my rig and I also run the front winch / bumper and rear tire carrier/bumper. I too carry lots of tools. The only thing I need to do is get more up travel for the rear shocks and I'm happy.

What valving on the 7100s?

Hey Mike,

Are you talking about some real whoops 2-3ft deep or some little whoops, becouse I know I cant run 25 in the real whoops

Does your Jeep hate the WHOOPS, or do the WHOOPS hate your Jeep? Something to consider. :)

my passenger seat runs with ryan brown say otherwise.....

You have experienced a 'scare' by sitting in that vehicle that FELT like you were going 60 MPH but you were probably going 40. I would have sh!t myself if I was in Ryan's POS too ;) (did you get a tetnis shot?)

NONE of the group goes faster than Paul or Dave and they peak out at the bigger whoops somewhere around 60 or so. The stuff at the end of boone road is nothing compared to what I am referring to. On the road back to the lake bed from Claw/Wrecking Ball/OL there is some 'big' stuff that is very large. I don't see anyone taking that stuff (well) without some type of air bump (or air shock) never mind getting close to 50.

Maybe we are thinking about different locations.

Are you talking about some real whoops 2-3ft deep or some little whoops, becouse I know I cant run 25 in the real whoops

I am talking about the 2-3 foot stuff.

I am talking about the 2-3 foot stuff.

Not sure how high the stuff I was trying to go through, but there is some stuff just after the 90º bend in Boone Rd and they're one after another whoops. There are some similar stuff coming back from the dunes/claw towards camp.

Not sure how high the stuff I was trying to go through, but there is some stuff just after the 90º bend in Boone Rd and they're one after another whoops. There are some similar stuff coming back from the dunes/claw towards camp.

The stuff after the bend on Boone (after the bridge) is nothing compared to the 2-3 foot stuff I am referring to.

When you start hitting 3ft whoops, you need some good wheel travel, my front has no problem , 11inch's travel, 2.5 Kings and fox bumps, the rear just does not have enough droop, my problem is if I go to some good deavers or nationals, It is going to totally suck when its loaded down or have passengers. Tough call.

When you start hitting 3ft whoops, you need some good wheel travel, my front has no problem , 11inch's travel, 2.5 Kings and fox bumps, the rear just does not have enough droop, my problem is if I go to some good deavers or nationals, It is going to totally suck when its loaded down or have passengers. Tough call.

Wheel travel and power to float over them. Paul has only 12" of front wheel travel and 14" of rear wheel.

I would have to look at the fifth bill from King. They just don't work! I am not a Genius as you all know, but when it cycles up about half way, I think the ratio changes becouse of the angle and it just screws up the valving. I don't know what to do.

Wheel travel and power to float over them. Paul has only 12" of front wheel travel and 14" of rear wheel.

First, I have no where near 14" in the rear, and in a buggy, if that is what you are referring to, he probably does not vAry his load capacity much? accurate?

Last edited:
First, I have know where near 14" in the rear, and in a buggy, if that is what you are referring to, he probably does not very his load capacity much? accurate?

His suspended weight is low for sure and does not vary much unless my fat ass sits in it.

Back