• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sand Highway whoops Glamis

many of us have been on that other side of the coin. i remember one of the bikes (2 wheeler) got pulled over on our way back to camp. his whip broke after a crash. now a whip on a 2 wheeler is totally in the way in my opinion, but thats the rules. fortunatly i stopped too in the buggy and showed the officer i had his whip strapped to the car and we are heading back to camp to fix it. you could see the broken end still on the bike. the officer says, "yea, but how do i know it just broke now, not three days ago"? makes sense doesnt it? luckily i stopped and showed him the broken part. without it, my buddy had a hard time convincing the officer he lost it. and my buddy was lucky i found it. all ended up good, but still felt like a hassle. but after i looked at it from the officers point of view, i understood. otherwise everyone would just break their whip off in camp and use the "i just lost it" excuse.

The presence of law enforcement in Glamis has undoubtedly saved many lives over the last few years. I would not go near that place without them. There will never be a free for all place on public lands. The kinds of things that were happening there before they started ramping up enforcement were not cool.

I totally agree they should be there. They should be reasonable, but there.

WOW, sure seems as though Glamis has changed since I used to go there with my buggy. Back then, there were rangers, of course, but they were not hassling anyone. We would get all kinds of stupid in the dunes, day or night, and nothing happened. Sure, we’d been approached and stuff like that for various things, but they were always cool about it. Seems that everything started to go wonky when they put those machines in to charge for camping parking along Gecko road, and probably other places; anyone remember those? People would get hammered and hook up to them with chains – that was a good time to watch. :D

Ya those are good points, thanks for putting me in prospective, its a rock crawling rig and I guess it is what it is! Ill buy a quad or sandrail for the go fast stuff

Rock crawlers are for rocks, THIS is for the sand!
photobucket-6322-1322094138070.jpg

Rock crawlers are for rocks, THIS is for the sand!
photobucket-6322-1322094138070.jpg

wow, cool old chenowth 2 seater. and with all the original panals in good shape. geeze man, dont you run that thing? lol. i've got a chenowth 4 seater (expedition) chassis i am thinking to transfer all my stuff from the 2 seater. lots-O-fun.

Yes it runs! Turbo Subaru powered. Sucker wheelies.
I've had this one for over ten years, although not in its present configuration.
Added the Subi engine two (or three?) years ago, before that a collection of different VW based engines.
Thanksgiving in the dunes was such a rush!!!!!!

i may be doing the power plant swap aswell. the 2 seater has a 2275 VW and scoots real nice, but i may go with the 3.5 V-Tech Honda when i build the 4 seater.
nice car Rick. i bet its a blast.

Last saturday we had a kid in a prerunner ranger come to our camp by the canal. He was haulin A on the sand highway and a ranger pulled him over as he got to our camp. He was not camping with us, but was friends with some of the guys at our camp. The ranger pulled him over for speeding on sand highway, to close to the camps. I agree with the pulling him over, but at the same time people are speeding by all day long. Then the kid did not have current registration, so they called over about 4 more rangers and basically impounded his truck. After all the rangers came they checked all of our vehicles for passes and registration. Then the main officer told them that he smelled pot and had a dog come over and check out our camp. Now what I feel is BS is that they messed with our camp when we did not do anything wrong. Especially don't make up BS about smelling pot when he didn't, just so they can try to get citation.

We all just got checked at a boonie campsite out in superstition. A ranger came way back in the boonies driving really slow by our camp. Spotted a quad on a trailer with an expired sticker, then stopped walked into camp and checked every single vehicle. Wrote a no registration ticket for a 26 year old 50cc three wheeler that the kids play with in camp. It never leaves camp, but that doesnt matter. It feels shitty when you get rolled up on and treated like a criminal. This had absolutely nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. It was a dead weekend out there too.

KH

We all just got checked at a boonie campsite out in superstition. A ranger came way back in the boonies driving really slow by our camp. Spotted a quad on a trailer with an expired sticker, then stopped walked into camp and checked every single vehicle. Wrote a no registration ticket for a 26 year old 50cc three wheeler that the kids play with in camp. It never leaves camp, but that doesnt matter. It feels shitty when you get rolled up on and treated like a criminal. This had absolutely nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. It was a dead weekend out there too.

KH

Saw one Ranger out there this past weekend. I was told he came by our camp twice. He came by the first time cause someone threw a log in the fire pit and it was smoldering with no one there. He stooped back by when some people were in camp. I wasn't there but no one got a ticket for anything.

I would fight that quad ticket if its worth the time. If its on the trailer, obviously it wasn't being used. Few years back someone in our camp was riding a dirt bike with expired green sticker out at OW. Ranger stooped by camp and said to just put it on the trailer.

Matt

Registration on our highways and byways have nothing to do with safety, either, but it's widely understood and accepted that the vehicle(s) you take on them must have current tags. The fact that it's old is neither here nor there. :)

Back on tpoic here. Jeeps are built for cruising the dunes and trail riding. Also whoops take time and experience to learn how to read them at high rates of speed. Its that one whoop that if your not reading right can toss you up real bad. Granted Leaf Spring have to be the worst thing to put on the rear of a truck and make it buck like crazy. But if you can read it right then you should be able to avoid any roll over.

This is built for 50mph+ down sand highway

310333_2580101865259_1335797088_32909933_1621331005_n.jpg

It just felt odd to have them sniffing around looking for anything to ticket you for. These days there are so many things to get a ticket for, even people trying to obey every law still get harassed.

This happens only when you have the wrong springs and shocks installed. With the right springs and good shocks you can glide over the whoops like butter.

You are about 80% correct sir. That is my truck and I've spent the last 3 years trying to dial in the rear end. Every trip I re-valve. They are the Deaver race pack F-67's (62 inch leafs) which are the best you can buy for a Toyota pickup. Believe me when I say that leafs don't work good. Maybe with a bypass you can get them to work better.

With that said, I can still hang with linked trucks all day long. But I'm breaking main leafs doing that since your pushing the limits of the spring beyond it's means. That's why that truck is going in for links very soon. Leafs just don't work as good as a true link setup.

Cheers:patriot:

This happens only when you have the wrong springs and shocks installed. With the right springs and good shocks you can glide over the whoops like butter.

Not just 'good' shocks. ;)

Not everyone can afford triple bypass Kings! :D

And that is one of the reasons everyone is not 'gliding through the whoops like butter' ;)

Back