• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My FitchBox (tm)

I wanted stainless steel to match that panel the boxes come with but I may have to source that somewhere other than home depot.

If that is a radio shack project box, the metal lid is actually a fairly mild malleable aluminum. Not sure you can get faceplates to match anywhere, it will be easier to get stainless sheet and make a matching lid probably, or install the plastic lid.

So I was pondering this and google-ing around, and I came across Hella's relay box ( http://www.amazon.com/Hella-H84988007-4-Way-Relay-Packaged/dp/B000VUEDXY)

Its actually made by MTA (so it says on the box and molded into the legs)

Research got me to their website - they're Italian, but have a distributor in Illinois. If you're not afraid of the words "Italian" and "electronics" in the same sentence, check out their catalog. They have some really cool integrated relay / fuse holders, switches, etc. Everything is modular, so if you want a box with 6 relays and fuses, it appears that you just snap it together. They also make full dashboards and controls for tractors and such.

http://www.mta.it/on-multi/index.jsp?instance=26&channel=15000015&node=15002133&idarticolo=15000005&order=1&tab=1

This is an overkill example, but it is all I could find a good, non-pdf picture of.

15006520_15000002_mta_fotpro_DSC09.jpg

So I was pondering this and google-ing around, and I came across Hella's relay box ( http://www.amazon.com/Hella-H84988007-4-Way-Relay-Packaged/dp/B000VUEDXY)

Research got me to their website - they're Italian, but have a distributor in Illinois. If you're not afraid of the words "Italian" and "electronics" in the same sentence, check out their catalog. They have some really cool integrated relay / fuse holders, switches, etc. Everything is modular, so if you want a box with 6 relays and fuses, it appears that you just snap it together. They also make full dashboards and controls for tractors and such.

http://www.mta.it/on-multi/index.js...de=15002133&idarticolo=15000005&order=1&tab=1

This is an overkill example, but it is all I could find a good, non-pdf picture of.

Bookmarked for future purchases.. those are beautiful. They have custom dashboards too :farmer:

Hey ya'll! Bringin this thread back to life... Been a NAXJA user for sometime, just havent posted anything.... Everytime I'm wondering how to do something or need an idea, it's all here already!!

Anyways, I've been wanting to emulate Fitch's relay/fuse & switch boxes as it is damm near perfect.... Clean, compact, resourceful, useful, & GENIOUS!.... But I've got a brain fart on a couple things...

1) Fused feed & ground/negative from the battery goes to the relay/fuse box... Fuse amperage rating here is derived from the total amperage sum of circuits, right??... Lets say I'm only wiring 3 circuits (bumper fogs/reverse fogs/400W inverter)... Both fog circuits are 55W, so 5A each, & I can run both front & rear on one 30A relay? Inverter gets 40A fuse, & one dedicated 40A relay? I should fuse the feed with 50A??

http://fitchva.com/jeep/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1114&g2_serialNumber=3

2) Run the Cat-5e from relay box to switches... "Accessory" is ignition switched feed? Does that mean, at the switch end, Cat-5e on switch one leg/prong the other is the light/inverter/component??

3) I've got a 4 gauge, 100A fused feed to a splitter, reduces to 2x 8 gauge, which I'm only using 1 to feed a 500W amp.... Can I use the other to have an 8 gauge feed to the relay/fuse box??

Thanx in advance, & Fitch, BIG THANX for your design & thorough write-up on your site... You do awesome work!

I see Fitch about every week or so. He is not on here much if at all anymore but i will pass on the "Thanks!"

I just bought his MJ 4 weeks ago:D

cool....yea hadnt seen any activity of his here or CF....was gonna e-mail him for advice, but i dont want to bother him with my non-sense....but yea, let him know how much his work is admired & appreciated

haha, the "fugly duckilng"....still stock?

Hey, my first post was on this thread :dunce:

Congrats kndrewa :thumbup:... I've got almost the same PVC enclosure, from the Depot... What's yours, a 4x4x6? Might be tight trying to fit the relays, fuse holder, wiring, etc... Mind if I ask, where'd you source the relays, & how much?

Think you mean ethernet.......i.e. Cat-5e Jack and cable. ;)

Yeah, I work in the technology sector.. ..was just making a joke.
I truly meant internet, as in "My Jeep has the internet" because I can't wait to pop the hood and show the Cat5 to my nerd friends (who don't know a thing about Jeeps) at work.

Yes, it is an Ethernet cable, Cat5 4 twisted pairs.

Hey, my first post was on this thread :dunce:

Congrats kndrewa :thumbup:... I've got almost the same PVC enclosure, from the Depot... What's yours, a 4x4x6? Might be tight trying to fit the relays, fuse holder, wiring, etc... Mind if I ask, where'd you source the relays, & how much?

Well, this is a great thread for a first post! Yep, my enclosure is 4x4x6.. ..will definitely need to get creative to make it all fit in there, but should be nice and small when I'm done. I like that these boxes have the silicone lip for a truly weatherproof seal. I bought all of those supplies, but since decided to try to avoid the positive terminals on the outside of the enclosure. I'm going to put the 6 relays in the bottom beneath the fuses.. ..shouldn't ever need to access them again. . .

I bought my Bosch relays at NAPA here in Canada, which is 2x the cost of NAPA in the states. I avoid buying parts up here if at all possible, and stock up when I visit Seattle. They cost me nearly 8 dollars apiece! I'll bet you'll get a better deal down there. I just really felt the urge to get all these parts, because I've wanted to do this for a LONG time!

Think you mean ethernet.......i.e. Cat-5e Jack and cable. ;)

I disappoint myself in not being able to convey that dang joke! Love your XJ, XJEEPER!

Hey guys, I've got a couple of questions about wiring the switches. I've got 4 of them. Should I chain the power together for all of them, like I've done for the grounds? Or should each switch have its own 'hot' lead and fuse? I've ran a lead from the battery to power a 6 fuse panel, and figured I would use this new auxiliary interior fuse panel to power the switches. What size fuses should I protect these switch circuits with?

I'm using these switches:
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/970490-switch-rocker-spst-30a-12v-cls-ro11a12250y.html

Technical/Catalog Information CLS-RO11A12250Y
Vendor Lumex Opto/Components Inc
Category Switches
Circuit SPST
Switch Function On-Off
Current Rating 30A (DC)
Voltage Rating - AC -
Voltage Rating - DC 12V
Actuator Style Oval - Illuminated
Lead Free Status Contains Lead

That is what I did. In fact I used contra switches from Otrattw that had two LEDs, so there are 5 pins - a ground for each led and power for each led, and then the switch-to-relay. I jumpered the grounds for both LEDs and the power for both leds across all the switches in my switch box, with the cig lighter being the 12v source for the lights so they come on with ign. This way I only have 3 wires exiting my switchbox for 7 switches. One power, one ground, and the cat5e to the relay box.

http://www.mta.it/on-multi/index.jsp?instance=26&channel=15000015&node=15002133&idarticolo=15000005&order=1&tab=1

Been to the MTA web site and marked a few worthy items.

At the end of the day and with the help of my electrician, I locked on the Bussman relay/fuse box, both in its kit version and the pre-wired version offered WagonGear.... I use two of these in my XJ and they work great...

IMG_20120602_174726.jpg

This is the back of the switch panel on my fitchbox. I actually used the 8th wire of the Cat5 as the hot wire to all the switches. You can see that in the upper left switch the redish brown Cat5 wire going to the switch is then daisy chained to all the other switches that control relays through the red/white wire. i had already cut the cat wire to length and lost the extra so i ended up up-sizing the wire simply because its what i had. two of the 9 switches in my switch panel do not go to relays.

Back